#1 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:50 PM

I'm going up north on a guided pig hunt. Just for fun, I'm thinking of using either my DE 44 Mag or my 35 Remington TC. Looking for a good unleaded loads for both the 44 and the 35 Rem. Any recommendation will be greatly appreciated. I don't have much time to develop load for either handgun using non leaded bullet. The hunt will be on the 11th of June.Thanks,DF
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#2 goosebrown

goosebrown

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Interests:Ceramics. WEB programming. Varmint hunting and possibly pig hunting.

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:21 AM

I would double check, but I think the law is that you must use .40 or larger on big game in California if you take with a pistol. That would make the 35 Remington illegal regardless of the load.... I could be wrong, but I just did hunter's safety a month ago and I seem to remember that... (Not planning on using a handgun so didn't commit that part to memory...)
Keep your family close... and armed.Matt Brown

#3 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 06:22 AM

the .40 applies only to muzzle loaders. Since there is no subsection defining method of take for pigs, this general section applies. You're good to go with the .35 Rem...353. Methods Authorized for Taking Big Game.(a) Except for the provisions of subsections 353 B through h , Title 14, CCR, big game (as defined by Section 350, Title 14, CCR) may only be taken by rifles using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles; bow and arrow (see Section 354, Title 14, CCR, for archery equipment regulations); or wheellock, matchlock, flintlock or percussion type, including "in-line" muzzleloading rifles using black powder or equivalent black powder substitute, including pellets, with a single projectile loaded from the muzzle and at least .40 caliber in designation. For purposes of Section 353, a "projectile" is defined as any bullet, ball, sabot, slug, buckshot or other device which is expelled from a firearm through a barrel by force.C) Pistols and revolvers using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles may be used to take deer, bear, and wild pigs.I've read in the past that people have had good results using Cor-Bon - a quick check on Midway shows it in stock in .44, your SOL for the .35 though... The stuff is pricey though - with shipping you are approaching $3 a round!

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#4 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:11 AM

Ooops! Sorry, I though this was another Kagan thread. My mistake. :smiley_kewlpics:
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#5 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,230 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:19 AM

Cannot help you with the 35rem but a Barnes 200grHP with a max charge of H-110 and mag primer with a strong crimp has worked well before in the 44mag.

#6 45Colt

45Colt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 10:35 AM

Goosebrown a 35 Remington is a rifle cartridge.So DF is safe.Desert Fox, what happened ?Hope you got one.
The old calibers and guns got the job doneKeep reloading-We may need it

#7 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:42 PM

We postponed it for Thursday and Friday next week. Forgot that the wifey want's to go to the Playboy Jazz Festival at the Hollywood Bowl tomorrow. Never had a chance to work on the 44 or the 35 Remmy either, so I'm taking the 300 Weatherby. This is my opportunity to test Barnes 180 grain TTSX on big hog's armor plating. Posted Image
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#8 45Colt

45Colt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 09:20 PM

Still pullin fer ya ! :roflmao3[1]:
The old calibers and guns got the job doneKeep reloading-We may need it

#9 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 12:58 PM

If I were to go hunting pig with a pistol... I would also have a backup ready with a high powered rifle. You know what I mean. Safety first. Those hogs are very mean when wounded.

#10 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,596 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:19 PM

That .300 wouldn't happen to be out at WEGC would it?

#11 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:40 PM

........This is my opportunity to test Barnes 180 grain TTSX on big hog's armor plating.

Gee, are you sure you're useing enough gun? :1087:
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#12 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:08 PM

That .300 wouldn't happen to be out at WEGC would it?

Yes it was. Are you a fellow member by any chance?

#13 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:19 PM

Gee, are you sure you're useing enough gun? :doh[1]:

You're right! I should use my 338 Lapua :doh[1]:

#14 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 03:51 PM

.454 Casull!

#15 Bisley

Bisley

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,596 posts
  • Interests:The three W's, whiskey, women, weapons. No particular order.

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:14 PM

Yes it was. Are you a fellow member by any chance?

Yes sir I am. Been goin there since before they had the limited membership requirement. Haven't been there much lately due to work (or lack there of) but I do have some of that new GMX stuff to dial in soon. That is probably one of the safest places I think I have ever shot at. They are truly a class act. And I love the respect and kindness the range master (Larry) gives to my 10yr old nephew when we take him. He tries to come across as an old crank, but I've seen different.

#16 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:41 PM

And I love the respect and kindness the range master (Larry) gives to my 10yr old nephew when we take him. He tries to come across as an old crank, but I've seen different.

Yeah! I know a lot of fellow member that hates the guy. I have no problem with Larry though... but then again, I seldom see him since I go to the range either on a weekday, early mornings and late afternoon during summer. I try to stay away from the crowd especially on the weekend when the limited members are around.I'm only 20 minutes away so the range is very convenient for me.

#17 donkey12

donkey12

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:13 PM

Hey DF if you wanna use my 454 casull pistol its all yours. Just thought I would offer. Ive got 300 and 250 grain loads for it with XTP BULLETS.
Don't be stupid

#18 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:22 PM

Not a bad idea. I'll have to practice shooting that beast first. Let's get together when you have time. When are you leaving for Alaska?Just came back Friday. No porky... seen only one and it's tiny. Work so hard and all I got was a sore knee. We're going back in the next couple of weeks.

#19 donkey12

donkey12

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:27 PM

Im off all this week until the 27th. I just got back from Alaska and a good friend took one black bear. Had a great time anyhow. PM me or call if you wanna hit the range any day of the week or weekend. We can dial in that pistol with the scope or use irons.
Don't be stupid

#20 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 07:09 PM

Sounds like a plan. Let's do it in the afternoon sometime this week after work. I'll leave early. I'll give you a call. What scope do you have on it? PM me.

#21 Ken43

Ken43

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:33 PM

I shoot the Barnes 225 gr. bullet in my 444 marlin. You can load the same bullet in your 44 mag. I have shot 4 pigs and 1 bear with that load. Works great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users