#1 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:40 AM

For short range (max 25 yards) I use a MAC 1 (accuracy prep) CR1377C .Steel breech,stock barrel/trigger. Using RWS Super H Points,it chrono's at 540 FPS (10 pumps)...very handy around barns,sheds....and the RWS hollow points are very accurate at that range plus have more than enough knock down power on da squeeks...Posted ImagePosted ImageFor medium range ( 25-40 yards), My stock 850 CO2 .177 8 shot repeater is very effective using JSB 8.4 GR (760 FPS) getting 160 shots from 88 gram Air Source.. My tuned 850 .177 with 9OZ paintball tank gets 320 shots at 810 FPS and this extends maximum effective range to 50 yards....Tuned 850 .177 with 9oz PB tank...sock over tank...Posted ImageStock 850 .177Posted ImageLong range: (50 - 75 yards +). 850 HPA .177...22ci 3000 psi tank/1800 PSI regulator...960 FPS/20 FPE using JSB 10.2 gr. LW barrel,choked with custom air stripper...this rifle is very accurate...groups .437" @ 50 yards...80 shoots on 3000 psi fill...nice flat trajectory..mainly use this one in light winds....Posted ImagePosted ImageMAC 1 Discovery PCP .22 Cal...906 FPS/26 FPE using JSB 14.3 GR...25 good shoots on 2000 PSI fill....very accurate and good choice in higher velocity winds..Posted ImagePosted ImageDominator .22 CAL 1250...this is my most powerfull air rifle...it has been converted to HPA using a 22ci 3000 psi tank/1900 psi regulator...940 FPS/30 FPE using JSB 15.8 GR (40 shots on a fill) and shoots sub-moa at 50 yards..It was converted to HPA as in stock form this rifle required a 4250 PSI fill....so by going to HPA, I can use my existing scuba tanks to fill to 3000 psi...As yet,I've only hunted squirrels twice with this rifle...but it is absolutely devasting on squirrels..I have been using this rifle in 50 yard benchrest matches...but plan on getting out hunting squirrels more at longer ranges...I'm thinking around 80 yards may be maximum effective range...although,longer shots may be possible...Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageI have tested all my rifles both on target and hunting to establish my own comfortable "maximum effective range" for each......this took many months including shooting in various wind conditions.....and each rifle has been tested in a tunnel at 50 yards for baseline accuracy....I experimented with different pellets...basically,I find the dome head pellets to be most accurate at longer range...hollow points do not work well over 25 yards...in fact, ones I tested would veer off target by 4"-6" at 50 yards in no wind.....not the case with domes...In my .22 cal rifles,I've found the JSB 14.3 gr pellet to be best choice in the Discovery considering range,trajectory etc...The Dominator likes the JSB 15.8 GR but I have recently did some preliminary testing of the JSB 18.1 GR....just need more time to evaluate..

#2 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:21 AM

Crazyhorse, I always enjoy your posts!! They are just plain awesome!! Great shooting and what a nice looking arsenal of air guns you have!! I would hate to be a squirrel in your crosshairs!! :( :pot:

#3 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:26 AM

I also like your post's and pictures. I learn lots from you and the way you quality your answers is "proof in the puddin". No air gun shooter in his right mind would ever *doubt* you. Maybe shoot different pellets, but...I have sent off my Disco to Omaha to get tuned up. I was very low on power. I have be killing the heck out of squeaks with my FX Revolution. My rancher friend is quite happy with me. Now, that gun has power and accuracy. Not as quiet as the Disco with the 6 1/2 inch suppressor but at the longer range it is still great. Cross hairs on = dead. It don't get any better than that.

#4 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:10 PM

Crazyhorse, I always enjoy your posts!! They are just plain awesome!! Great shooting and what a nice looking arsenal of air guns you have!! I would hate to be a squirrel in your crosshairs!! :( :smiley_kewlpics:

Thanks...just thought I'd share how I use different powered airguns...hunting horse ranches influenced my choices on airguns...

#5 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:16 PM

I also like your post's and pictures. I learn lots from you and the way you quality your answers is "proof in the puddin". No air gun shooter in his right mind would ever *doubt* you. Maybe shoot different pellets, but...I have sent off my Disco to Omaha to get tuned up. I was very low on power. I have be killing the heck out of squeaks with my FX Revolution. My rancher friend is quite happy with me. Now, that gun has power and accuracy. Not as quiet as the Disco with the 6 1/2 inch suppressor but at the longer range it is still great. Cross hairs on = dead. It don't get any better than that.

I was thinking once of getting an FX of some kind...friend has the Cyclone in .22....it shoots very accurate...My Discovery .22 has been just great...had it over two years now...now that was a real good bargin that performs...

#6 JimC

JimC

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, shooting air rifles, ground squirrels and ducks

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:39 AM

I was thinking once of getting an FX of some kind...friend has the Cyclone in .22....it shoots very accurate...My Discovery .22 has been just great...had it over two years now...now that was a real good bargin that performs...

I was wondering how you carry all those rifles around when you are out shooting squirrels :smiley_kewlpics: Great post and I enjoy your take on the effective range for each of the airguns. If you are planning on including an FX in your future, I would highly recommend the FX400 Royale. I have been using one in 22 cal for about a month now, shooting ground squirrels, and it is an amazingly accurate rifle. It has been devastating on squirrels. My longest shot is about 80 yds, but I'm sure the rifle would be effective out to 100 maybe more. I am getting over 70 shots per fill at 31 FPE. I am just incredibly impressed with how well this rifle works as a hunting gun. I have the synthetic stock model and all I will do to it, besides the scope, is add a couple of posts to add a sling. Jim in Sacramento

#7 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,653 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 14 May 2010 - 10:44 AM

So it kind of looks like you like to shoot squirrels :smiley_kewlpics: Cool toys .
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#8 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:30 PM

I was wondering how you carry all those rifles around when you are out shooting squirrels :smiley_green_with_envy: Great post and I enjoy your take on the effective range for each of the airguns. If you are planning on including an FX in your future, I would highly recommend the FX400 Royale. I have been using one in 22 cal for about a month now, shooting ground squirrels, and it is an amazingly accurate rifle. It has been devastating on squirrels. My longest shot is about 80 yds, but I'm sure the rifle would be effective out to 100 maybe more. I am getting over 70 shots per fill at 31 FPE. I am just incredibly impressed with how well this rifle works as a hunting gun. I have the synthetic stock model and all I will do to it, besides the scope, is add a couple of posts to add a sling. Jim in Sacramento

For ranch hunting I load my car up..normally 3 rifles and my 1377C....lol....but in public lands, I just carry one air rifle and my High Standard Supermatic...The FX400 is a very good rifle....think trend now from Europe is more bottle guns...My converted Dominator(HPA) shoots 30 FPE,but only get 40 shots with a 360CC tank...940 FPS..

#9 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:33 PM

So it kind of looks like you like to shoot squirrels :smiley_green_with_envy: Cool toys .

Being retired,like to get out often during the week....and squirrels are it....!! BTW,I enjoy your bow hunting posts on squirrels...that is awesome...!!

#10 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:06 AM

Great shootin' and write-up. Thanks for sharing.

#11 Bobby B

Bobby B

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 05:53 PM

Sleeping squirrels LOLnice shooting

#12 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:49 AM

Sleeping squirrels LOLnice shooting

Have since added this to my 'collection'...crosmods 1377 sniper...info here:http://www.californi...showtopic=22653Posted ImageBagged first squirrel with it a couple weeks ago..Posted Image

#13 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 01 April 2011 - 05:52 AM

Nice gun!

I'm an airgunholic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users