3 replies to this topic

#1 autoduel

autoduel

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 01:46 PM

This last Sunday, I headed down to a ranch to do some hunting while my wife and kid went to disneyland.I spent a good 6-7 hours walking around the creek and rock outcroppings alongside the horse stables.There were lots of burrows alongside the creek banks and there were plenty of rock outcroppings that attracted rock sitters as well.Most shots were 25-50yds, but I did surprise a few which took off, but to stop after 10 yds to look around. Just enough time to shoulder and drop them.Good practice for the offhand shots. The brush has grown since I was there a few months ago and the weeds were at least knee high. Plenty of cover for the running squirrels. The few rabbits I ran into took off so fast and disappeared long before I could raise the rifle. The marauder at 36 ft-lbs makes a satisfying impact and sends them rolling. The D-9 also took some squirrels too once I got it sighted in, but at 11lbs and no sling, it was a bear to lug around. My wrist was sore from carrying it and the reports is loud as well. In the late afternoon, the squirrels were more wary and didn't stop till they found cover.Total bag for the day was 14 squirrels around the stables and another 8 by the woodpile area.This guy was across the bank, but was too close to the stable to shoot. I snuck around but he disappeared, only to pop up again when I turn my back. Next time...Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageThis woodpile was home to many critters. Just sait and wait for movement.Posted ImageLots of young squirrels, unlike the old fat ones that live by the stables.Posted ImagePosted ImageThis guy was standing by his hole. I missed him with the first shot 35yd offhand, but he came back for more.Posted Image

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,683 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 06 May 2010 - 05:26 PM

Nice shooting! :smiley-outta-here: Once that grass gets high it sure makes the shooting difficult.

#3 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 07 May 2010 - 09:41 AM

Great shooting Steve...be sure to keep an eye out for rattlesnakes...my wife seen a 4 footer yesterday crossing our road...Re ranch hunting,once you know where their burrows are,it's just a matter of ambushing those ground squeeks...I don't move around much...except to set up in another spot...patience pays off big time..

#4 autoduel

autoduel

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:20 AM

Snakes crossed my mind more than once, but I didn't run into any. With all the high grass, I wish I was wearing gaiters.I had more fun stalking them than sitting and waiting. I walked around in a circle, so the second time, I knew the best avenue of approach for an ambush. This is even more fun than field-target.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users