• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 18 August 2006 - 04:51 PM

Well, today I finally shot my new Remington thumb hole stocked, 204... I LOVED the nearly NON-existent muzzle blast, jump & recoil. What a sweetheart to shoot. I was definitely pleasantly surprised. Almost like shooting a bb gun. ALMOST! LOLAnyway, I shot several 5-shot, 5/8" groups at 100 yards. That in itself ain't bad, but I had a couple other groups that would put 4 shots in about the same size or under, only to throw the 5th shot.I tested the 40gr Nosler B. Tips w/RL10X & H4895, & also used Hornady factory 32gr Vmax. The RL10X did the best today, but was actually TIED by the Hornady factory ammo. WHAT WAS THAT NOISE? HEY, someone help ShooterJohn back up please. LOLSorry, John, but that is a true story. I couldn't beleive what I was seeing either. UNbeleivable!Anyway, I will try these 2 powders again next time, only with a slightly different charge. Will also try several other powders such as W748, RL15 & H335 or?? Anyone have a favorite load in their 204? I prefer the 40gr bullet btw. At least she's sighted in & ready to go hunting. So overall not a bad start :lol: Frank

#2 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 06:28 PM

[quote name='Frank' date='Aug 18 2006, 05:51 PM' post='20400']Well, today I finally shot my new Remington thumb hole stocked, 204... I LOVED the nearly NON-existent muzzle blast, jump & recoil. What a sweetheart to shoot. I was definitely pleasantly surprised. Almost like shooting a bb gun. ALMOST! LOLAnyway, I shot several 5-shot, 5/8" groups at 100 yards. That in itself ain't bad, but I had a couple other groups that would put 4 shots in about the same size or under, only to throw the 5th shot.I tested the 40gr Nosler B. Tips w/RL10X & H4895, & also used Hornady factory 32gr Vmax. The RL10X did the best today, but was actually TIED by the Hornady factory ammo. WHAT WAS THAT NOISE? HEY, someone help ShooterJohn back up please. LOLSorry, John, but that is a true story. I couldn't beleive what I was seeing either. UNbeleivable!Anyway, I will try these 2 powders again next time, only with a slightly different charge. Will also try several other powders such as W748, RL15 & H335 or?? Anyone have a favorite load in their 204? I prefer the 40gr bullet btw. At least she's sighted in & ready to go hunting. So overall not a bad start :lol: Try the 39g. BlitzKing with the Rl10x. My savage likes that combo. BUT I'm having fun shooting up the 32g. Hornadys. 105 to go :lol: Steve

#3 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 18 August 2006 - 07:09 PM

Capitol, guess I do need to take a picture of it. It is a Remington limited edition with only approx 200 made. They never advertised it in their catalog or on their website. Rem does that occasionally with their firearms for some strange reason?! Anyway, if you go to Remingtons website it looks like their XR 100 model. It has a 26" barrel and 12" twist. 3 of my 4 predator rifles have 26" barrels & is normally my favorite length. Also, mine is the laminated "nutmeg"(walnut wood) stock instead of grey/black. My rifle barrel is a bead blasted matt (dull) stainless, instead of blue. It also has a magazine with drop out floor plate. I also replaced the trigger with a Timney & LOVE it. Man, it breaks clean. Steve, how many grs of RL10X powder are you using with the 39gr bullet? I've used the blitzkings in my other rifles with good results, but am partial to the nosler for various reasons. RL10X did give me the best results too, but want to test sone others. Sorta like a mad scientist I guess?! LOLThanksFrank

#4 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 07:15 PM

Frank, you need to add a digital camera to the top of your Christmas wish list.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,688 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 18 August 2006 - 07:25 PM

Hey Frank I'm glad she worked out for you. I know you were worried a bit. :lol: Now you have to take her out and draw first blood with it. :lol:

#6 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 07:32 PM

Yeah, I do Heath... But you know me & all that high tech stuff... Guess I do need to get up to the 21st century though. LOLHey John, you're right, I sure was sweating it a bit... Definitely can't wait to test her on some fur... Thanks Again :)Frank

#7 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 18 August 2006 - 08:41 PM

Frank,Does that thumbhole stock have an aluminum bedding block? Just curious. Sounds like it shoots good for an out of the box Remington.A17Shooter

#8 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 05:42 AM

A17, it does not have the aluminum bedding block. However, I did have the action glass bedded & the barrel free floated, the bolt trued & a Timney trigger installed. Which is what I basically do to most of my centerfire rifles before I ever shoot them... I'm semi-anal about accuracy; but only semi. LOL It didn't shoot bad, but I believe it can shoot better however. At least the majority of my previous rifles were/are able to. So we'll see... It is one very sweet caliber that is for sure & has lots of potential IMHO.Frankp.s. My parner's 18 year old son also shot his new out of the box "Remington" 22-250 yesterday & consistently putt 5 shots in 5/8" & under at 100 yards. And all he did was "adjust" the trigger. Nothing else! Except use handloads of course...Do not let all the Remington hype fool you. They are very accurate out of the box, but do need either their triggers lightened or replaced. One can adjust them, themselves, but should follow Remingtons website instructions. I've owned tons of Rem (& others) over the years & know their accuracy to be true.All The Best :)Frank

#9 HOG

HOG

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 06:44 AM

RE-10X 25.1g.

#10 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,820 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:01 AM

A17, it does not have the aluminum bedding block. However, I did have the action glass bedded & the barrel free floated, the bolt trued & a Timney trigger installed. Which is what I basically do to most of my centerfire rifles before I ever shoot them... I'm semi-anal about accuracy; but only semi. LOL Frank

I see that it's not quite "out of the box". ;) I do agree that your tune-up is only semi-anal. Full anal, and only the receiver and bolt would be left and they would be modified and trued. ;) I have a box stock Remington VLS in 204 that I am shooting to find out how they do perform that way. So far the groups with Hornady factory 40 gr loads are not impressive. But, I'm sure that it can be made to shoot well.A17Shooter

#11 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 01:48 PM

LOL, Yeah, A17, not exactly out of the box is right... However, my friends sons (VSF) is & did awesome.I too own a VLS (actually 2) & are great rifles...(my 204 is technically a VLST & the other a 223)... A17, try Hornady's factory 32 gr Vmax instead of the 40 gr. They seem to work better than the 40gr. At least in my friends CZ & my 204. I often read where others have the same experience also... If I may, I would suggest either lightning up your existing trigger or replace it with a Timney eventually. Mine is set at 2lbs, but everyone does not always like the same weight of course. It is adjustable! I happen to like the Timney over the Shilen or Jewel. But all are excellent...Good Luck with your 204 & keep us posted on how you do / like it etc...FrankOOPS, missed Hog's response... And Thanks Much, Steve... I'll be back out to the range asap for some more load testing...Thanks AgainFrank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users