Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:48 PM

They're beyond cool.

#32 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:49 PM

If you own a Unimog you own the BEST! :roflmao3[1]:

#33 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 25 April 2008 - 02:32 PM

ive been kicking this same thing around for along time..this is what i have come up with....the polaris is more comfortable. can haul more. and is more or less a ranch first hunting second built rig. plenty of power and rides pretty well.the rhino is still pretty comfortable. its narrower. has more ground clearance. comes in a 700EFI in the newer models. and is unmatched in serious offroad situations. its built for hunting first and ranch work second.so. if i were to buy one (which i plan to shortly) it would be a rhino. they are smaller, ligther, and built more twards my usage requirements than the polaris...also. if something breaks on the rhino it will cost about 1/3 as much as the polaris will to replace parts. if ur looking for a serious huntin buggy then the rhino is what u should get...if ur gunna just drive around on fire roads then it dont matter what u get..whatever truck u currently drive will suffice for that. but for me the more sure footed, and more agile off road designed rhino is more what i need.

I'm still trying to decide which one would be best for me....I am going to use your input to add my own. :roflmao3[1]:---More comfortable....I don't know as I have only been able to sit in them at the lot. From that little bit of experience, the Ranger is easier to get in/out of (very similar to a golf cart). The Ranger seems more upright as in Straight up and down when sitting at the drivers seat. The Rhino while a bit more cumbersome to get in, feels more Sporty and possibly a bit more reclined. I liked the feel when sitting in the Rhino better. I am going to assume from all the comments on here about the Ranger being a more comfortable ride that you are referring to less bumpy on the trails.---Yes, it hauls much more than the Rhino (Rhino 400lbs, Ranger 1000lbs)---Your comment about the Ranch first hunting second kinda makes sense to me, but I think you are missing a category....Sport use. I would add that as a third category and rate them as follows: Rhino Sport first, Hunting Second and Farm/Working third. The Ranger I would rate as Farm/Working First, Hunting Second and Sport third. I would say for hunting they would each be good/great. Now if you are large game and you needed the extra 600lbs of cargo room, GO WITH THE RANGER.---The Rhino is narrower by about 6", but most people are installing spacers behind the wheels to widen the rhino and make it safer. They both have 700EFI.I don't disagree with your decision to get a Rhino at all. I may go that route as well. I just don't want to get into this My brand is better than yours cause that's what I own. There are things about each that I like and I will list them:Rhino:Sportier....Gotta say it just looks cooler to me. (Not a big deal though)Seats seemed more comfortable/sportier.Pricing...From what I have been able to find, it looks like I can get a Rhino 700 for $1000 less.Cost to fix...Not sure if what Jared said is tru about maintenance, I will have to look into that.Accessories...The rhino's have a lot more, but again not a big deal.Ranger:Just seems like a beefier machineI like the 3 seat bench for capacity (not sure about comfort)Wider...Makes me feel safer especially with kids.Capacities...You never know, I may need to drag a 400lb pig back with all the other equipment I broughtEven though I think the Rhino's are a sportier setup, after typing all this up, I am leaning more towards the Ranger.

#34 Jared Plumlee

Jared Plumlee

Varmint Hunter

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:26 PM

and dont forget about the new player in this category....the new ranger RZR...however they are more purely sport type machines...not really meant for hunting or for the ranch...but for recreation...and they got the 800efi...i looked at em and liked it plenty..but the bed is pretty small and it would take alot of modification to put a decent sized dog box on it that i could haul maybe 4 dogs in...where as the rhino would be a piece of cake....

#35 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Movies

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:45 PM

Yeah I looked at them. Not feasible to go four seater. Pretty much just a Sport speed demon. It could be used for hunting, but I just don't like the 2 seat limitation. In my household purchases like this need careful persuasion. The fact that I can't take both kids with me and leave is a big negative. B) It has to be something the whole family can enjoy. Unless I could get two of them. :) That would be frickin awesome! Except that one of them would be being backed into dog poop all the time. :roflmao3[1]: B) B) :)

#36 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:27 PM

Hey Wannakill, from a mechanics point of view-get the Yamaha Rhino EFI700. Do not get the older one as I've replaced fuel pumps on them like crazy. The aftermarket people can't keep those fuel pumps on the shelves. The problem is that everyone alway wants more horsepower than the stock engines put out. Here's the dilemma! Folks bring their stuff to me and want a better flowing intake system (K&N, AEO, AIM...) and they want a better flowing exhaust system (too many to list). Now, I have to adjust/replace the jets to compensate for the increased flow thru the engine. With increased air flow, you have to have an equal increase in fuel flow. The problem is Yamaha's stock fuel pump cannot keep up with the demands and thus poor performance is the result. Most people don't notice it because their Rhino's are now louder and maybe a little faster. So, if your not sure of which one to get, just get the newer 700 with the fuel injections system. Also, the Polaris Rangers I've worked on all eat belts. Belts that cost $70 plus. They also had lubrication problems with the bottom end of the engine but I believe they've recalled those year models. The Polaris's are also harder to get parts for. In some cases I've had to wait 2 months for a customers clutch.Now for the teaser! If you can wait till next year, word in the Powersports industry is that Honda is finally going to jump in with a Utility Vehicle of their own. It's been a hush-hush thing for awhile now because they wanted to see what Kawasaki, Yamaha, Polaris and Artic Cat were doing. Everyone knows the reliability of Honda's. Think it over carefully but if you can't wait-get the new Yamaha Rhino 700EFI. :roflmao3[1]:

#37 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:12 PM

Honda is finally coming out with one this summer now too. They're calling it the "BIG RED". (too bad they used that name 20 years ago on their ATC). It's a little ugly but I think it will definately be a contender if they use that 3 speed automatic tranny they put in their Rincon Quad...http://powersports.h...8models/#BigRed

#38 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:45 PM

The problem is that everyone alway wants more horsepower than the stock engines put out.

Sorry, but I am one of the weirdo's that doesn't need all that speed. I have found a New 07 450 Rhino 4x4 for $6500, is that a good price? I am still leaning towards the 08 Ranger XP EFI700. I think the best price is a place in TN called ritchiepowersports for $8700 OTD. So, shipped would be somewhere around $9800 OTD after taxes. Whew, that $6500 sounds pretty good now LOL.Just curious, what kind of Maintenance problems are you seeing on Rhino's and Ranger's that are still Bone Stock? I plan to maybe add a couple minor convenience bolt-ons, but nothing performance wise.PS Those Honda's are FUGLY!

#39 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:35 PM

That Big Red is not the one that's been shown to us Powersports mechanics. It will probably be a 2009/2010 model but it's rumored to have a V4 1000cc engine. I will say no more!!! Wannakill, this is only my opinion but you probably won't like the Rhino 450 after a month. It is way underpowered and is carrying the same size/weight chassis as the Rhino 660/700. Save the money and by the larger model. You might not be interested in all the speed and power but believe me, the first time you point it up a rocky hill climb, you'll want the power! It's just like my Jeep-got all that horsepower and torque but I drive it no faster than 10mph offroad. It's always nice to know that I have the power to get out of any situation. Maintenance problems with the Rhino vs the Ranger; parts availability (gaskets, oil filters...) easier to get for the Rhino. Rangers CVT clutch is hard on belts. Seen the same customer go thru 3 in a season to the Rhino's 1. There are not many Polaris dealers here in the West. Polaris is very popular in the North Central and East coast. Stock Rangers had problems with intake manifolds coming loose from vibration thus allowing air and dust to enter the engine and cause severe engine wear. I believe this has already been recalled along with some lubrication problems in the gear case. Regular maintenance (oil changes, spark plug changes oil filter access) are all easier on the Rhino's vs the Ranger. If you don't do your own maintenance, this is probably not a big deal-let that poor sap mechanic tackle it! I don't really like any of the UTV's but if I got one, it would be the new Rhino 700EFI. So far they've been bulletproof (no pun intended). The onboard systems black box has proven that it can handle just about any combination of intake/exhaust system changes and works wonderfully at higher altitudes like the Rangers EFI. The older Rhino 660 and 450 had problems at higher altitudes (8,000 feet and above) due to their carburetors. Watch out for Arctic Cat next year also. They have a utility 4x4 quad this yearwith a 950cc motor that has so far scared the s@#$ out of most test riders including me. Ever seen a 4x4 quad do a 4 wheel burnout? Totally wild! They should've put a speed limiter on that thing because it easily does 80mph-easily!!! Good luck with those decisions!!!

#40 woodog

woodog

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:Open Field Coursing and hunting.

Posted 26 April 2008 - 05:12 AM

I'm still trying to decide which one would be best for me....I am going to use your input to add my own. :) . . . . . . Even though I think the Rhino's are a sportier setup, after typing all this up, I am leaning more towards the Ranger.

If you come back from Vegas with a lot of $$$ in your pocket, take a look at the Polaris RZR. I really debated with myself last year when I bought the Kymco MXU 500, but the additional $4,000 plus and the waiting list made up my mind for me.

#41 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 26 April 2008 - 08:22 AM

If you come back from Vegas with a lot of $$$ in your pocket, take a look at the Polaris RZR. I really debated with myself last year when I bought the Kymco MXU 500, but the additional $4,000 plus and the waiting list made up my mind for me.

Meh, the RZR's are cool. I think if I was single and didn't want the possibility of seating 4 it would be cool. But, the back end is really small. It really isn't made to haul anything. Except azz. It kind of remnds me of a sand rail or sand buggy. I think it would have been a great vehicle for you. You should go trade your Kymco in on one. :doh[1]: No waiting lists now. :) If I do come back from Vegas with a lot of $$, who knows, maybe two RZR's. :) That would have to be an exceptional Vegas trip though.

Regular maintenance (oil changes, spark plug changes oil filter access) are all easier on the Rhino's vs the Ranger. If you don't do your own maintenance, this is probably not a big deal-let that poor sap mechanic tackle it! I don't really like any of the UTV's but if I got one, it would be the new Rhino 700EFI.

Most likely the MX would be done at the stealership. Still torn between the two, but now going to try to go the 700 route. So, since the Rangers have problems if I get a Ranger, I wonder if I should get the extended warranty. I am really not hard on my stuff and extreme speed or extreme off-road are not my thing. I'm not driving miss daisy, but I just want this to go up into the hills and enjoy the outdoors. Using it as a cruising mountian trails machine as well as a hunting rig (with the occasional cruise around the neighborhood). Speed, loud azz exhaust, trying to pass the guy in front of me, jumping etc. is just not my thing.

#42 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:58 AM

Has anyone found an online comparison between the two? has Polaris found a way to keep from eating all those belts in the new models?

#43 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 26 April 2008 - 03:23 PM

The crazy thing is after I see these prices I start looking at stuff like this:1990 Jeep WranglerThat would make a great hunting rig, plus I could use it all the time. :signs684mh:

#44 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 04:42 PM

Decisions, decisions!

#45 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 26 April 2008 - 07:01 PM

The crazy thing is after I see these prices I start looking at stuff like this:1990 Jeep WranglerThat would make a great hunting rig, plus I could use it all the time. :signs684mh:

Yep, I had this same decision about 4 years ago for a rig at my cabin. I finally decided on the Jeep, and it was the best decision. Like you said, I can drive it on the highway so it is a much more useful vehicle.

#46 Jared Plumlee

Jared Plumlee

Varmint Hunter

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 07:11 PM

i agree with the whole jeep thing yet i disagree at the same time...if u think u can get anywhere u that u would want to go in a jeep thats the thing u should get...however ive got a huntin rig that im pretty relentless on and i dont much worry about dents scratches hitting rocks or logs whatever...and im still needing to buy something that can get me into places that i cant get in a truck or jeep or whatever...that would be the purpose of buying one of these rhinos...for example: i tree a bear and harvest it...with my truck 100% of the time i gotta skin it out and pack the bear out to the truck assuming it wasnt a close tree that i couldnt get the winch line and 1/4 mile or 1/2 mile of light line too...of all the bears trees ive made i would guess that about 20% of em i could get in on the rhino to at least the general vacinity of the harvested bear...with a winch and a bunch of line of some sort i could save ALOT of hard work....Also i get snowed out of the best country i have to hunt every year...a rhino with a set or TJD or Mattracks would give me access to areas that i couldnt gain access to with my truck...yeah i know they make snowmobiles but i cant run a snowmobile on dry ground down near the tree obviously...thus the rhino makes perfect sense for me...

#47 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:32 PM

Yep, I had this same decision about 4 years ago for a rig at my cabin. I finally decided on the Jeep, and it was the best decision. Like you said, I can drive it on the highway so it is a much more useful vehicle.

Great minds think alike!

i agree with the whole jeep thing yet i disagree at the same time

I'm already driving a 2000 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 with a 3.5" lift. It will probably get me most places I need to go. I was just thinking a Wrangler would be cool/fun cause it's a bit smaller and is convertible. There are some pretty nice Wranglers out there and having one spec'd out for hunting would be cool. And I could do it all for less than a Rhino or Ranger and drive it to where I was hunting. Jared, I understand your point, and when/if I run into those areas you are talking about I will have to decide for myself if it's worth the extra expense. The other "MAJOR" concern I have is, around here (Bakersfield CA) there just isn't that much public/BLM land. I will have to trailer to wherever I go (not possible to ride to anywhere from my house) and I don't really know of any places around here where you can legally ride your OHV and Hunt. It seems like it's one or the other but not both.For now, I think I will keep looking, but a Jeep Wrangler with some gun mounts and a Bikini top sounds pretty cool!

#48 Jared Plumlee

Jared Plumlee

Varmint Hunter

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 03:17 PM

wannakillacoyote..i am not trying to sway ur decision in one way or another...i was just trying to justify in my head purchasing a rhino i just used ur thread to do it and maybe at the same time giving you more things to think about......i live just north of u PORTERVILLE and hunt more or less the same range of mtns u do...in fact i hunt the green horn mtn just to the NORTH of u (east of Delano) several times a year...but for the most part i hunt east of porterville here....the laws do not permit u to shoot within out of the truck or any vehicle (i believe) or with X amount of feet or yards (100) of any road...other than that your good to go....but there is ALOT of GOOD public land just to ur northeast...Take care JARED

#49 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:07 PM

Wannakill....if you have to make a decision on whether to get a Wrangler or the Rhino/Ranger, I'd definitely get something you don't have to trailer. I used to hunt with a guy that has a CJ7 and he has his rifle scabards bolted to his rollbars, one on each side. They were the hard plastic ones made by Kolpin where you pulled the end off and slid your rifle into the padded container. Pretty cool looking. I'm thinking of doing that to my Wrangler Rubicon. I haven't found any areas in our local deserts that I couldn't go and follow guys on Rhino's or Ranger's. Then again, they can't go down the highway back to camp either. Just a thought buddy! :hellohello9il:

#50 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:10 PM

wannakillacoyote..i am not trying to sway ur decision in one way or another...i was just trying to justify in my head purchasing a rhino i just used ur thread to do it and maybe at the same time giving you more things to think about......i live just north of u PORTERVILLE and hunt more or less the same range of mtns u do...in fact i hunt the green horn mtn just to the south of u (east of Delano) several times a year...but for the most part i hunt east of porterville here....the laws do not permit u to shoot within out of the truck or any vehicle (i believe) or with X amount of feet or yards (100) of any road...other than that your good to go....but there is ALOT of GOOD public land just to ur northeast...Take care JARED

No worries. I wasn't referring to shooting out of any vehicles or roads. I just know there are a lot of "No OHV area's". And the areas that I know of that say "Yes to OHV's" usually also say "No Hunting" for fear we will mistake a Rhino for one with horns. :)I've never been out in either of those areas. If you are ever up for some company, let me know. I don't have the BLM maps for the Porterville area, but I do have the one for Tehachapi (which I think includes the Delano area). As far as I can tell, there isn't any BLM until you get over the Delano Mtns into the Tehachapi area.

#51 Jared Plumlee

Jared Plumlee

Varmint Hunter

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 03:18 PM

N/M i had a big long thing typed out but i dont wanna give everything away to everyone...woods are full enough as it is...PM SENT TO U WANNAKILLACOYOTE...

#52 packhorse9

packhorse9

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:pigs, turkey,varmints, 4 wheeling, motorcycles, classic cars. target shooting,

Posted 09 May 2008 - 09:28 AM

Just get a Unimog and forget about anything else! :signs1242cn:

I own a cj5 and a 6x6 ranger the jeep will go a lot more places than my 4x4 chevy pickup and is fun to drive but the ranger 6x6 is amazing we take the truck to a good base camp pack up the polaris and do short over nite trips, i take it were i would never take my jeep , we have even winched i up a cliff and continued on , i do also use it for fence work ect. but if i was to only be able to have 1 hunting vech. the ranger is a gas and very good on gas.. dvae

#53 DagoRich

DagoRich

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Interests:Family, good friends, camping, long range shooting, shooting squeeks and prairie dogs, reloading and a good steak.

Posted 11 May 2008 - 07:19 AM

I for sure see a Rhino in my very near future. Will be using it for hunting, dunning, trail rideing etc. I also have a jeep, but if I load it in my toy hauler it puts me over my weight limit. Of course it will be camo, have gun racks, a winch and other acessories that would be useful. Oh, one other thing, they sure are fun to drive. :signgreatreport3kg:

#54 DagoRich

DagoRich

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • Interests:Family, good friends, camping, long range shooting, shooting squeeks and prairie dogs, reloading and a good steak.

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:45 AM

Picked up the new Rhino about three weeks ago. Been out playing with it for about two weeks. This thing will go places my jeep wont go. Gun racks and winch to come soon. Pix is just after I picked it up.Posted Image

#55 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 01:58 PM

Nice Rhino DagoRich!!Already got a custom long travel front end on it huh?

#56 DagoRich

DagoRich

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 02:55 PM

Thanks Fiveflat, nope no long travel completley stock except for wheels and tires.

#57 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,661 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:36 PM

That ride is a thing of beauty. You should be good to go about anywhere. Congrats on the fine ride.

#58 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 07:11 PM

Very nice, Dago.

#59 DagoRich

DagoRich

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 12:52 PM

Very nice, Dago.

Thanks, Im really having a blast with it. Can't wait to take it out hunting.Thanks for you compliment also John.

#60 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
    Movies

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:49 AM

Nice Rhino Dago! How much?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users