• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 18 August 2006 - 04:09 PM

I have been looking at the Polaris Ranger vs the Yamaha Rhino. I have ridden in the Ranger and find it is exceptionally smooth. I am looking at the Rhino also because it is a bit smaller and would fit in the back of a pickup truck. Comparing the two, I would be able to take Lil'Shooter and Point Blank with me in the Ranger. With the Rhino, I would only be able to take one guest. they are both about the same price. Any ideas or suggestions?db
TALK STRAIGHT, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND KEEP THE MAGAZINE LOADED.ORANGEVALE,CA

#2 MojaveJ

MojaveJ

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing

Posted 18 August 2006 - 07:57 PM

I've been looking too and the ranger is way better. More ground clearance better 4x4 setup go to the polairis web site I can't seem to find it right now and watch the rodeo they put on the rhino is the only one that makes it to the finals but the ranger whips it. Abig plus on the site is you can customize it right there and it gives you the price minus taxes.
If it flies it dies, If it runs its done, Hook'it, snag'it, gig'it, just kill itFire up the grill cause deer huntin ain't catch and releaseI dig hot chicks in camo bikini's with guns in their hands.

#3 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 08:09 AM

How do the warranties compare?

#4 MojaveJ

MojaveJ

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 03:57 PM

How do the warranties compare?

Don't know but I do most of my own work anyway. I did hunt off of my buddy's dads 6x6 polaris up in Wy. and it would go anywhere so that helped in my decision but I have to get some funds as the one I customized is about 14k before taxes.
If it flies it dies, If it runs its done, Hook'it, snag'it, gig'it, just kill itFire up the grill cause deer huntin ain't catch and releaseI dig hot chicks in camo bikini's with guns in their hands.

#5 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 07:24 PM

Free video about the Rhinohttps://www.yamaha-m..._06.aspx?site=N

#6 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 02:20 PM

Ouch, that's pricey! I'll just keep my gortex hiking boots for the time being... :rolleyes:

#7 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:32 AM

My old man just bought the Polaris this weekend.. It's truely a better machine. I'll just give you some of the Pro's 1) Fuel Injected 2) True locking Dif 4x4 (front and back) 3) 700+ CC motor 4) about 3 inch more clearance 5) 50 MPH 6) Better ride He bought it in Havasu for 12K out the door.

#8 SpotandStalk

SpotandStalk

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Sporting Clays.

Posted 28 November 2006 - 04:58 PM

Polaris in a land slide. My uncle has a Polaris and he uses it for Elk and Deer in Idaho. I use it (borrow)when I'm Chukar hunting on the Brownlee Resevoir in Idaho and it can go anywhere. The Polaris is the hands down favorite amongst the Idaho Chukar, Elk, and Deer hunters. This past weekend my uncle, grandfather, and cousin took it out deer hunting and all three of them sat in it comfortably and my grandfather is the smallest of the three at 6'1. Go with the Polaris,S&S
"Would you vote for a woman as unqualified as Barack Obama?" -Hillary Clinton-"The best thing about the cash for clunkers program was it got thousands of the Obama stickers off the streets.""Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of congress. But I repeat myself." -Mark Twain-

#9 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 29 November 2006 - 11:00 AM

Thanks guys. db

#10 MeatVapor

MeatVapor

Squirrel Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Interests:Killing fuzzy critters.

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:21 PM

I just bought a new Kubota RTV 900 with heater, steel cab, all the fixins. $14,475.00http://www.kubota.co...ts/Rtvcomps.pdfThese are comparisons. It is an awesome machine.

#11 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 13 January 2007 - 05:10 PM

Heres the statistics--- Bold indicates the highest ranking...Polaris Ranger XP...........................Kubota RTV 900.......................................RhinoEFI................................................n/a..............................................Carbureted40 HP/gas................................ 22hp/diesel.......................................Not specified50 MPH ....................................25MPH............................................ 40MPH1750 lb towing capacity............1323lb tow cap.................................1212lb tow cap1000 Cargo Capacity.....................1102lb cargo .............................400 lb cargo cap9 Gal fuel tank .....................7.9 gal fuel tank ................................7.9 gal fuel tankLock & Ride Cargo system ........Steel Box........................................Steel BoxOn demand True 4x4 ........Limited slip front differential...........5 step locking front differentialFull Underbody Skid plate ......Limited protection....................... Full underbody skid plateIndependant rear suspension ..Leaf spring rear suspension......Independant real suspension9" rear suspension travel.......Minimual rear suspension travel..........7.3" rear suspension travel8" front suspension travel ....Minimum front suspension travel...........7.3" front suspension travel11" ground clearance.......................7.4 " ground clearance.......................... 12" ground clearanceseating for 3.............................seating for 2........................................seating for 2 We just brought home our new Ranger.. Its the Browning Edition, mossy oak camo, has the gun boots, winch etc.. This thing is AWESOME. It has single wheel drive, 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive, Gas guage, speedometer, cigarette lighter plug (Handy for those needed accesories such as GPS or whatever, it is SWEET B) Over all IM quite pleased to add it to our family of polaris quads :D Oh and its QUIET! I love how it doesnt make alot of noise.. Hands down Id say the Ranger is definitely in a class of its own :P
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#12 SpotandStalk

SpotandStalk

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 11:33 PM

I have been looking at the Polaris Ranger vs the Yamaha Rhino. db

Bozsik,Did you make a selection and or purchase?S&S
"Would you vote for a woman as unqualified as Barack Obama?" -Hillary Clinton-"The best thing about the cash for clunkers program was it got thousands of the Obama stickers off the streets.""Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of congress. But I repeat myself." -Mark Twain-

#13 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 11:17 AM

It is on the back burner. If I do, I think it will be the Polaris. The vehicle I have isn't really fit for towing any real weight, so I will have to figure out how much the vehicle and associated trailer would weigh. A friend of mine has two old Honda Trail 90's. If I help him with the work on them, he will give me one. I would just use it off road, while he wants to make the one he keeps and license it for the street. I told him we can move the turn signals and parts that aren't really necessary from the one bike to make the other look nice. They both run, so I just want to get out on some paths and do some calling. Don't care what it looks like.I used to use a friend-of-mine's bike when checking traplines in the early 70's. I think the quiet engine, and the high/low range gears were a real selling point for me. db

#14 fiveflat

fiveflat

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:43 AM

I can tell you this, my neighbor/friend ranches by me and he literally puts 15,000 miles a year on quads irrigating and such.His experience with Polaris quads (and he gave them an adequate shot about 4-5 quads he bought from Polaris) is horrible. Constantly breaking down. He will only buy Honda Quads. He's just bought a Rhino to try this year and he's really happy with it so far.Myself, I have an EZGO golf car that I lifted, and put some racks on. It's all electric and has tons of torque (after some modifications). Electric is good for keeping quiet!I fabbed a handly little trailer (varmint carrier) for it to. I'll see if I can take some pictures of it tonight for you all.
Sheldon

#15 SpotandStalk

SpotandStalk

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:00 PM

fiveflat,I'd have to agree with you on the Polaris quads and have actually had some less than desirable experiences with polaris snowmobiles as well. On the other hand, we have the Ranger in the family hunting repertoire and have yet to have a single issue.S&S

#16 Creeping Death

Creeping Death

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 05:53 PM

Love my Kabota NO BELTS, hydo is the way to go.Disiel is the way to go.Been through 2 gas Kawasoki, 2 disiels. one at a time

#17 goldenarrow

goldenarrow

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 01:38 PM

I own an Artic Cat Prowler i tested the rhino and thought the prowler road nicer.it climbs like nothing else.Posted Image

#18 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 01 December 2007 - 10:09 PM

IM still partial to the polaris :roflmao3[1]: But them again I sorta have alot of them LOL..Heres a pic of it at the top of the Widow Maker in Colorado Last season.. Check out the view behind it LOL... Its a LONG ways down for sure.. But ohhh the hunting is awesome.. Not too many people go up past the widow maker.. Shes a BAD climb for sure. We got two bucks back there :signlol2iu: Here is my ranger, with the freedom cab... It also has this awesome heater that will have you striped down to a tshirt even in a snow storm :drinks: Ya I am spoiled.. But seriously do you think I am gonna freeze while hunting?? I dont think so LOL....Attached File  widowmakertop.jpg   65.04KB   117 downloads
Royal Oaks TaxidermyAward Winning Taxidermist...When Quality Counts! DEER CAPES WANTED

#19 Robairto

Robairto

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:52 PM

Never owned a POlARIS however I own a Kawasaki;Honda; Yamaha atv's. The Yamaha has been the best unit as a turn key operational unit. It has never failed and never been to the shop. I can't say that for the others. I'm a no repair requirement guy. Options concern me less than basic function. Just my .02.I also prefer Yamaha dirt bikes as mine have turned over and run endlessly with routine oil changes.

#20 packhorse9

packhorse9

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Interests:pigs, turkey,varmints, 4 wheeling, motorcycles, classic cars. target shooting,

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:11 AM

Hi , I have 07 ranger 6x6 , I'm real happy with it so far seems like it will go about anywhere only have a couple hundred miles on it and just about finished outfitting it, so far the best thing is being able to take my best friend along (my dog) he loves the bed I've had a few atv's but for me the side by side is the only way to go,

#21 tomcat

tomcat

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 01:36 PM

this is what i run...more power and i can drive it on the road..and its a stick lol...Posted Image

#22 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:01 PM

This is what I drive, when I can get to it that is. :roflmao3[1]:Posted Image
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#23 wannakillacoyote

wannakillacoyote

"You can call me WKC"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,951 posts
  • Interests:Hunting....Predators, Varmints and Upland Game but would like to try larger game.
    Computers....It's what i do for a living and sometimes for fun.
    Movies
    Spending time with the Family

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:53 PM

Where is that Braz? It's beautiful.I'm still debating whether to get a Ranger or a Rhino myself. Just don't know if I can justify the expense when i will be towing it to the trails/mountains in a perfectly good 2000 jeep Cherokee 4x4 (that's paid for).
Posted ImageA well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

#24 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 21 April 2008 - 04:07 PM

That's my gun room at my cabin, which you can see in the background, up near Burney.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#25 Jared Plumlee

Jared Plumlee

Varmint Hunter

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:54 PM

ive been kicking this same thing around for along time..this is what i have come up with....the polaris is more comfortable. can haul more. and is more or less a ranch first hunting second built rig. plenty of power and rides pretty well.the rhino is still pretty comfortable. its narrower. has more ground clearance. comes in a 700EFI in the newer models. and is unmatched in serious offroad situations. its built for hunting first and ranch work second.so. if i were to buy one (which i plan to shortly) it would be a rhino. they are smaller, ligther, and built more twards my usage requirements than the polaris...also. if something breaks on the rhino it will cost about 1/3 as much as the polaris will to replace parts. if ur looking for a serious huntin buggy then the rhino is what u should get...if ur gunna just drive around on fire roads then it dont matter what u get..whatever truck u currently drive will suffice for that. but for me the more sure footed, and more agile off road designed rhino is more what i need.

#26 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 05:12 PM

What is the difference in ground clearance between the Rhino and Ranger?

#27 MojaveJ

MojaveJ

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:36 PM

What is the difference in ground clearance between the Rhino and Ranger?

The rhino has 1 inch more travel.

#28 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:34 PM

Just get a Unimog and forget about anything else! :roflmao3[1]:

#29 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:37 PM

Only problem is that Unimog is a whole bunch more expensive.

#30 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,064 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:47 PM

Only problem is that Unimog is a whole bunch more expensive.

True, but they sure are cool! :roflmao3[1]:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users