• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 18 August 2006 - 07:38 AM

I've almost got enough brass together to start reloading for the 223. I've reloaded in the past so getting started won't be too hard and I'm actually looking forward to it with the new RCBS chargemaster combo. I've been shooting the Winchester White Box 45 Grain JHP rounds from Walmart out of my Savage and have been pleased with the results. Really nice quarter sized groups at 150 yards and very good performance on ground squirrels and little pigs. I would like to reload something similar while playing with the powder charges to make the groups even tighter which brings me to my dilema. Does anyone know where Winchester gets their 45 grain JHP bullets. Are they Noslers or something else? I have about 5 different reloading books so if I can figure what bullet they are using I can probably get it close for a starting point and start experimenting with powder charges. Also, I would appreciate anyone who owns a Savage 12 FVSS or BVSS in 223 with the 26" barrel sharing some of their favorite loads so I can try some other options as well.Thanks guys!Jason

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,195 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 18 August 2006 - 11:47 AM

Jason,First I'm glad to hear you're considering reloading. Winchester does not sell the bullet they use in the White Box ammo they produce. I like the 40 gr Hornady V-MAX myself and will PM you later today with a load that should shoot much better for you than even the Winchester ammo. My savage has shot the particular reload to .060 inches at 100 yards.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 18 August 2006 - 11:59 AM

Sweet! I can't wait to take a look at it! Thanks!Jason

#4 big jon

big jon

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 01:48 PM

Jayson, I got brass comming out of my ears if you need more.As for the savage i just got a m112 hb in 223 i don`t even know how long it is yet i pick it up on saturday, But anyhow i`ve been loading up some 69grbthp with 25gr of Varget under it. I got the load from the BR shooting web site suppose to shoot good? i`ll let you know on monday, r u close to me?

#5 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 01:56 PM

Jayson, I got brass comming out of my ears if you need more.As for the savage i just got a m112 hb in 223 i don`t even know how long it is yet i pick it up on saturday, But anyhow i`ve been loading up some 69grbthp with 25gr of Varget under it. I got the load from the BR shooting web site suppose to shoot good? i`ll let you know on monday, r u close to me?

I am about an hour south of Fresno so am I close to you? ;) I have about 400 brass about now so I have enough to get started. Let me know how your loads shoot. I want to stay under 55 grains on my bullets since about 99.9% of my shots will be on ground squirrels. The larger grain bullet doesn't do a whole lot for me.Jason

#6 big jon

big jon

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 03:39 PM

I am about an hour south of Fresno so am I close to you? ;) I have about 400 brass about now so I have enough to get started. Let me know how your loads shoot. I want to stay under 55 grains on my bullets since about 99.9% of my shots will be on ground squirrels. The larger grain bullet doesn't do a whole lot for me.Jason

I`ll keep you posted on how they do, i have abought 400 allready loaded up from 55gr to 75gr.h335 to varget match primers to regular primers will see if it payes off.

#7 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 18 August 2006 - 04:26 PM

Ok, gonna give my standard 223 handloading speech, so sorry to the other folks, but here goes:I personally believe the 223 is one of the very easiest of all calibers to handload for, due to the huge variety of powders that work well in it; UN-like some other calibers. AND the key word being "WELL"!For factory ammo, you are correct in that the 45gr h.p. is hard to beat, which happens to be Winchesters own bullet design btw. However, there are numerous others available to the handloader that will work every bit as well, if not better, along with being more "consistent" in the process. For starters approx (give or take) 26.5 gr of W748 powder with "mag" primer & the 50gr Nosler ballistict tip bullet works great in every 223 on the planet. Well ok, in lots of the ones I've personally seen then. Velocity is approx 3300fps depending on barrel length etc. Another great powder is H335, even though I have never used it, but have witnessed many others that have & with great accuracy too. NOW, with that said, two powders that give the Highest velocity AND Best accuracy (combined) is RL10X & Benchmark, again with the 50gr bullet. APPROX 23.5grs & 26.5 respectively! Velocity is approx 3400fps. Use standard primers with these powders. In fact use standard (Match) primers in most standard calibers EXCEPT with ball (W748) or spherical (H380/H414) powders. Use mag primers with these types of powders. Otherwise standard is normally best.Other powders such as Varget & H4895 works good, but I just never got the consistent, "gilt-edged" accuracy with those. Velocity was close to 3300 fps w/50gr bullet. Also, stick with one type of brass. Do NOT mix brands. Just pick one, such as Win or Rem etc & stay with it. I happen to like Win.Bullet selection may depend on the kind of game you hunt. I hunt coyotes almost exclusively & why I like the 50gr Nosler B.T... Another weight bullet, ie; 40gr may be better for varmints?! So just depends. Good Luck & Happy ShootingFrank

#8 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:25 AM

Thanks frank for the info. Some great advice. I started reloading when I was about 14 when I started reloading my Remington 17. I mainly reloaded for price savings on ammo. Never really paid much attention to the accurracy of the loads until lately. Now I'm a bit more particular and trying to go for maximum accurracy. Cheap is good but accurate is also very good. As a result my methods are changing as well as my equipment. I was talking to a buddy that used to reload his 223s and his method was scary. He would basically find a powder that produced loads 95-98% density and just scoop right into the brass from a bowl of the powder. He had no patience to measure anything out. Scarry thing is that I have fired his 223 on several occassions using his loads! Luckilly no harm came of it. I was clueless. He's a doctor now, I don't understand how that all worked out!Jason

#9 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 21 August 2006 - 03:31 PM

Ya know, Jason, there are a fair number of folks out there like your doctor friend. I've seen this & other similar situations quite often over the years. And you are correct, it is scary. Very scary! I have a life long structural engineer & hunting friend that is probably a mathematical genius. Yet he has zero common sense. I mean notta! Anyway, about a year or two ago his older teenaged son was handloading almost like the doctor you mentioned. I asked my friend if he does not like his son (which he does) due to his dangerous handloading techniques. He just looked at me oddly, as if what could possibly go wrong. YIKES! All The BestFrank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users