11 replies to this topic

#1 Augnmike

Augnmike

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:47 AM

Ok guys we got it done. Special thanks to lake director Pat Kilroy who championed our cause and got me in front of the Public Safety Commission who watched my Power Point presentation and subsequently recommended that the council approve bowfishing.The city council voted to approve bowfishing on Lake Elsinore. Technically the ordinance will not go into effect for about 30-45 days however since the city ordinance prohibits archery and bowfishing is not considered archery we can start shooting the lake anytime. They are instructing the lake patrol to not cite bowfishers since the current regulation is ambigious and the new ordinance is coming on board. There is limited shore bowfishing available at the lake as well. They are willing to accomodate tournaments in which the lake will be open to bowfishers only so all shore areas will then be open to shooting. If anyone fishes at Elsinore regularly or knows someone who does it would be nice to have some idea when the carp start spawning there. Please let us know if you have seen any carp activity on the lake.Here is the new ordinance:8.44.055 Bow FishingA. Bow Fishing is defined as tackle that must have the arrow’s shaft or the point, or both, securely attached by a line to the bow or to a fishing reel (includes crossbow). B. Bow fishing is permitted by vessel upon the surface waters of Lake Elsinore, except within wading areas, marinas and boating channels.C. Bow fishing by persons walking and/or wading along the shoreline is permitted only upon that portion of the Levee System between Shoreline Zone Identification sign SS2 to Rome Hill. D. Bow fishing is restricted to fishing for Carp only.E. Bow fishing is prohibited within 100 feet of any person outside the vessel of the person bow fishing or adjacent to the person bow fishing by shoreline.F. Children 15 years of age or younger are required to be accompanied by an adult in order to bow fish.G. All fish taken by bow fishing shall be removed from Lake Elsinore and disposed of in a proper manner. Disposal of Carp into Lake Elsinore, upon the shoreline of Lake Elsinore or in public trashcans is prohibited.H. The provisions in this Section 8.44.055 are subject to waiver by the City for bow fishing events as may be determined by the City Manager, subject to such events being authorized pursuant to a special event permit as provided in Chapter 5.108. I am currently working on Perris and Silverwood

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,656 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:49 PM

Way to go Mike! :roflmao3[1]: Anytime a new place can be opened up is worth cheering.

#3 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:52 PM

Oh man!! Not to far from the house and I love Bow Fish'in!! Great job!!

#4 John Bishop

John Bishop

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Mountain Biking, Martial Arts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:26 PM

Good job Mike. Hopefully you can get the state parks to approve bowfishing at Silverwood and Perris.

#5 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:33 PM

Way to go.Now go get them.

#6 sportyg

sportyg

Sportyg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • Interests:Camping, Fishing, hunting, Football, playing backgammon,& music

Founder: Hunters Helping Hunters
    www.huntershelpinghuntersUSA.org
    LM:NAHC

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:45 PM

great job Mike !!! I'll ask Ron about when the carp spawn. he lives by the lake and fishes it all the time. He is also a bow fisherman...

#7 sportyg

sportyg

Sportyg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:33 AM

the spawn is between apr. and may..

#8 Augnmike

Augnmike

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:02 AM

Yeah I made three trips but haven't been out in the last month, too busy. We hammered them in right after we got approved. If you have any contacts around the lake or if anyone has been there recently I would be interested to see if there is any shallow activity right now. I know it won't be like the spawn but if some are cruising the shallows it might be worth a trip.

#9 sportyg

sportyg

Sportyg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 05:49 PM

They are still in the shallows. Ron was telling me he saw a couple of guys were out there just the other day. He said he olny saw them take one carp it looked like they were missing a lot from what he saw. They also just left it on the shore. He call city hall and they told him to call the police next time he sees people just leave the carp on shore like that. They find anyone leaving them like that they will be arestted they told him

#10 DirtyDave

DirtyDave

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:08 PM

I would have made the guys pick up their fish, and explain to them that we may lose our privilege to bowfish there if they think we are all jerks who leave dead fish everywhere we go.

#11 Augnmike

Augnmike

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:10 PM

Yeah I didn't go through everything just to have some jack offs wreck it. If you see that happening challenge the morons to pick up their kill it is part of the law now on the lake for bow fisherman. I talked to a bass fisherman yesterday and he said there is next to zero activity in the shallows and the they think the Koi Herpes may have killed a lot fish this year (they were finding 200 plus dead carp a day for a while). Don't know who to believe until one of us actually goes to the lake.

#12 sportyg

sportyg

Sportyg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 03:44 PM

Due to the herpes I'd say the carp shooting would be way down if at all.. I was reading the same thing on another site about them having a die off.Those guys who left the carp were on the other side of the lake so Ron didn't get to talk to them. He was at his house glassing them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users