16 replies to this topic

#1 Bill D.

Bill D.

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 07:54 PM

The older I get, the less I like intense summer sun. Today, I put together the frame for a top using 1.5" ABS plastic water pipe. Still need some diagonal bracing on the back to stop sway and figure out something for a top and I should be good to go. Pics of mounting pipe to the quad coming up. Attached File  Recon_top1.jpg   102.06KB   22 downloadsFront mount uses self tapping screws straight to the steel rack and two screw through the clamp into the plastic to keep it from slipping. The front pipe is slightly off center as to not obstruct my dominate left eye. Makes for a great rifle rest when shooting straight ahead especially with my elbow on the gun rack for rear support.Rear mount to the 2 x 12......this is the weakest part of the setup due to left/right sway. I will probably make some diagonal braces out of heavy steel strap. Don't know what material I'll use for a top yet.Posted Image

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:03 PM

Hey Bill that's a good idea. Nothing worse than the sun beating down on you. If you deside the plastic isn't durable enough let me know and I can help you put one together out of steel tubing. Then you could climb up on top and shoot! :blink:

#3 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:25 PM

Pretty slick. I hope it holds up for you.

#4 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Anything Archery and of course my 22-250 vs. coyotes..

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:41 PM

Pretty slick. I hope it holds up for you.

Can it double as a shooting stand if you stand up on the seat also?? Great Idea.

#5 Bozsik

Bozsik

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Interests:Having fun with my Wife and Kids, Hunting, Camping, Wildlife Photography, Woodworking, and Illustration.

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:45 PM

Hey Bill, You can use it as a roll cage also.........once. :lol: :blink: ;) db

#6 Bill D.

Bill D.

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:54 PM

Hey Bill that's a good idea. Nothing worse than the sun beating down on you. If you deside the plastic isn't durable enough let me know and I can help you put one together out of steel tubing. Then you could climb up on top and shoot! :blink:

John - I thought about a steel frame but the center of gravity is bad enough on a quad so I wanted to keep the weight down. Probably going to go with a sun resistant vinyl top that snaps on.....got a friend in the upholestry business that I bet can help me out. I am also entertaining the idea of a small lexan windshield that can go on the center post quick with a couple thumb nuts........it would have to fit somewhere out of the way when not in use. Hate the dang gnats in my eyes, mouth, and nose when coming in after dark. I could probably mount it to the top of the gear box for storage.

#7 MojaveJ

MojaveJ

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:02 PM

Just curious as to why you didn't just buy an enclosure from cabelas?

#8 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:28 PM

Bill Lookin good Don't show or leave that quad with Henson or you'll he will have it ghillied up and you'll never find it again. Looks like you're getting her dialed in. Have I ever showed you my CJ? dale

#9 Bill D.

Bill D.

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 09:20 AM

Just curious as to why you didn't just buy an enclosure from cabelas?

I looked at the enclosures but I wanted something wide open so I could easily and quickly shoot in almost any direction. Also, they want way too much money for enclosures.......so far I only have $37 in this setup.

Bill Lookin good Don't show or leave that quad with Henson or you'll he will have it ghillied up and you'll never find it again. Looks like you're getting her dialed in. Have I ever showed you my CJ? dale

I wonder if Ray would be inclined to make a top for me if I let him shoot a squirrel off my Recon....haha!Nope, never have seen your CJ.......can you post a pic?

#10 Steve C

Steve C

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, family, church, bass guitar

Posted 18 August 2006 - 09:32 AM

Bill D.,Great set up - i'd never thought of using ABS for that. Great idea.I have a yamaha kodiak i'm looking to make some changes/additions too. Where is the best/cheapest place on the web now? i haven't looked for anything for sevearl years. I want to ad a extra gas container to the back rack, have a winch, not sure what else i might add...steve

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 03:54 PM

Nope, never have seen your CJ.......can you post a pic?

Here's a picture of Dale's SAV (squirrel assault vehicle) with the top on.Posted ImageHere's one with the top down. He likes the top up to keep from getting sunburned. :lol: :lol: Posted Image

#12 Bill D.

Bill D.

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 05:30 PM

Thanks for posting the pics, John.......looks like Dale has about the perfect setup! I added some heavy bracing to the back corners today.....big improvement!Posted Image

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,676 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 07:18 PM

That bracing would make a BIG difference. Looking good there Bill. :lol:

#14 Gunner

Gunner

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 07:55 PM

Posted Image

Looks like a rodent patrol in Ft. Bidwell. :lol: Bill, I would top your cage with something solid to help stiffen the entire assembly.

#15 Guest_coyoteslayer_*

Guest_coyoteslayer_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2006 - 09:30 PM

That thing is going to look like a golf cart with wheels

#16 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,356 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 09:52 PM

That is not going too stay on bill only if you plan on staying in first gear. once you get going with a little side wind whop down it will go. If you look in cabelas i think they make a close cab for quads .

#17 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 18 August 2006 - 10:15 PM

Gunner you pegged one locale but you'll never guess the other. Bill D. You may want something solid like previously mentioned. One idea would be the little fiberglass tops off of a golf cart. What I've found with the CJ's top is that alotof times you need shade from the sides. I usually have a couple old beach towels that I lay up top and let some of it hang down. On a solid top though you could hinge something that could swing down or could swing up and just lay on top. don't know if I've explained it well enough.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users