8 replies to this topic

#1 tonyd

tonyd

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 11:33 AM

Anyone having any sucess with a 20" barrel, 12 ga, with chokes. I have an older mossberg that I would get that work done if that short barrel would work good enough for hunting? Thanks

#2 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:29 PM

It should work just fine :signgreatreport3kg:

#3 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:55 AM

Well, about 25yrs ago I had my Rem Wingmaster with 28" barrel cut back to approx 22 1/2" & it patterns & handles Beautifully. I also had the Briley (interchangable) tubes installed which also improved the gun considerably since the original barrel was a fixed modified choke & now I can use whatever choke I want. A BIG improvement! Briley is located in Texas. It was the best thing I did to that gun & never regretted it. It is used mostly for quail by my youngest son, who also loves it and believes it is his. Hmmmm, guess he's right now that I think about it. YIKES!Anyway, good luck in your decissionFrank p.s. I personally would not want my shotgun any shorter however...

#4 tonyd

tonyd

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:10 AM

Thanks, I want to get that shotgun set up for my son, I was just worried that even with the chokes the 20" barrel would be to short, but from what I hear on this forum, I think it should work fine.

#5 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:42 AM

There supposedly can be problems with the shot not getting ahead of the wad in certain types of shells with too short of barrel length and thus blowing huge holes in the pattern. Supposedly? I do not remember what the so called recommended, shortest barrel length is to prevent that, if even a true story. However, that IS why I personally stayed above the 20" length, just in case.

#6 Gunorea

Gunorea

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:34 PM

Not sure how much it would cost to get the barrel work done but you can buy one from this site for $182; http://www.tjgeneral...om/moss-bbl.htmDo some more web searching and I'm sure you can find one cheaper. A 20 inch barrel will do just fine for bird hunting here in CA. For myself I do good with a 26in w/ an IC choke early in the season then move to the double barrel SxS 30 inch when the birds start getting spooky.

#7 fishandhunt4ever

fishandhunt4ever

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:I really love hunting and fishing. I am looking forward to making friends from this web community and share information that can be helpful.

Posted 16 May 2010 - 01:46 AM

I have a Mossberg 500 and it has the 24inch barrel. I use for everything from skeet shooting to waterfowl and it does great. For steel shot I use the modified choke and for lead I use X-tra full choke. I think with the 24 inch barrel it will allow your son to grow into a longer barrel gun, or like in my case just stick with it.

#8 tonyd

tonyd

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 08:25 AM

I sent out the barrel last week to get the choke threads put in, should get it back soon, I want to go to the range and compare same ammo in the 20" and my other mossberg maverick with the 28" barrel, hopefully it will be close to the same. This will be my sons shotgun, he is 16 now, should be a good starter for him.

#9 Hipshot Percussion

Hipshot Percussion

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Bird Hunting- pheasant, Quail
    Bird dog training (two Brittany's)

Posted 17 May 2010 - 11:51 AM

Back when I was a young man a guy I hunted with used a Charles Daly skeet gun with short tubes for ducks over decoys and he had great success. After seeing his success I bought an 1100 skeet gun and found that my success much improved by about 30% more in the bag. I have been a convert to more open chokes and short barrels for most game. I did not notice any loss of success in longer distances but noticed that I was far more consistant in hits versus longer barrels and more constricted chokes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users