• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:I am an Avid fisherman who would like to spend more time Varmint and Predator hunting. Trying to fit in all the hobbies with two young kids is a challenge.

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:50 PM

Ok I have been cheating lol I found another forum and have been spending a lot of time there. It is The Smoking Meat Forums. Great site. Thanks to that site I am working o making a 3'x3' x6' smoke house. I also wanted to be able to cold smoke so I made a cold smoke generator on the cheap. Tested it tonight with good results Check it out OK I am kind of low budget. If i think I can build something cheaper I usually try. Usually it ends up costing just as much if not more.Well this time I did it on a budget and it worked. I got about $25 in this with the initial results looking promising.Posted ImageI have looked at several cold smoke generators and thought I could build one. After consulting the local metal head my Dad I decided with his recommendation I did not need to use aluminum pipe and to give exhaust pipe a try. I went to a local muffler shop and the guy gave me a piece of 3 1/2" by 11" scrap pipe for free. Next stop dad's house and off to his local muffler guy who sleeved both ends of another scrap piece for the caps. I left it with directions with my dad he is our family welder I am the pulp head as he calls me. He made up the ends and the next day after a visit to Home Depot. For a 6" piece of 3/4" black pipe, and the needed brass fitting. I dropped it back off today with more directions. When I picked it up It looked good. Hit wally world for a $10 aquarium tank pump and some chips,.I think i need to put some high temp silicone on the inside of the lid but other than that I am happy with the results may take the pump back and get the next size up.Here is a top viewPosted ImageHere is a side view, I think I am ready to smoke some cheese this weekendPosted Imagemm smoked ground squirrel snack sticks or Coyote Jerky Robert
Rocklin,Ca

#2 Rob

Rob

The Varmint Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:04 PM

Smoked SQUEAKS...uggggggggggly. Yuck

#3 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:I am an Avid fisherman who would like to spend more time Varmint and Predator hunting. Trying to fit in all the hobbies with two young kids is a challenge.

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:22 PM

They are good want the recipe, you can male sticks or just make patties and fry it up with eggs int he morningRobert
Rocklin,Ca

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,945 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:52 AM

Looks good Robert. I like to fiddle with that stuff too. I completely went through that old smoker BBQ I got from you. I enlarged the cooking area, lowered the firebox and added a rotisserie spit to it along with several other improvements. It was so nice someone stole it from our beach place during the day when we were in town for groceries. Normally I kept it in the garage there but I was actually using it when they stole it. :roflmao3[1]:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,165 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:45 PM

please explain how it works?

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,945 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:52 PM

Here is a similar type cold smoke generator.http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Time waits for no one--

#7 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 03:44 PM

please explain how it works?

Well I am not a an expert. But let me try, You load it with wood chips, saw dust, or wood chips. There is a grate int he bottom. You get the fire going then seal it off with the air pump feeding air to keep the wood smoldering and smoking. I played with it today and with the suggestion of members from another forum I tried it with out the air and bottom on the natural draft gave a pretty good smoke also. I think tomorrow I am going to try and mount it to my side box smoker and try smoking some string cheese. The picture quality was not that good as it was my cell phone. I will take some more with my camera and post them up later tonight RobertIf anyone is interested in smoking, Food that is checkout Smoking Meat Forums. Tons of information.
Rocklin,Ca

#8 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:37 PM

I also smoke. Here is my set-up in words. My smoking box is actually an old kitchen cabinet that now has six shelves about 6 inches one on top of the other. My smoke generator is 5 feet away and lower than the smoke-box. The smok-gen has an adjustable temp hot plate with an aluminum 6 inch frying pan for the wood chips. I have drilled numerous (10) holes in the side of this smok-gen and placed a kitchen fan 3 feet away and blow cold air onto and into the box thru these holes. This does several positive objectives. One... it provides over pressure to the inside to forces the smoke out. I have a 6 " vent pipe 5 feet long that moves the now cold smoke up to the bottom of my smoke box and up past my "goodies" on the shelves and exits the top vent holes. If I want even colder smoke.... I place three frozen two litter bottles on the inside bottom shelve. This makes the incoming smoke pass by this frozen zone, insuring 'cold" smoke.I normally smoke cheese only in the winter time due to the cold air outside. You sure don't want your cheese to melt. Maximum themp inside smoke box for cheese is 70 degrees. I normally smoke cheese for about 6 to 8 hours. My wife is my taster. I have smoked for 4 hours and then started it again in the morning for the other 4 hours nesessary. Leave everything where it is overnight. Remember, it is cold outside.

#9 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:18 PM

Mr Del, I have been reading and a lot of people say they vacuum seal the cheese after it cools and let it sit in the refrigerator to mellow/ I am wondering do you do thisThank you Robert
Rocklin,Ca

#10 Mr Del

Mr Del

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:26 AM

No I do not vaccuum seal my smoked cheese. I wrap it in zip lock bags and freeze it about 1/4 pound per bag. I let it set out to reach room temp before I eat it. Vaccuum sealing I think would be better but I don't own one. I also smoke hard boiled eggs, jerky, my favorite..... almonds.

#11 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,945 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:47 PM

I'll have to get up to see you Robert. I've been wanting to make one of these because they are easier to use and do a better job of smoking. I love the smoked hard boiled eggs and with 30 hens coming along we'll have plenty of eggs to boil. :ninja: The cheese is great too. :D

Time waits for no one--

#12 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 02:13 PM

John,You are welcome to come up anytime. I would be more then happy to show it to you. My job situation recently changed and so I am available anytime. :ninja: Robert
Rocklin,Ca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users