• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Brushstomper

Brushstomper

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Hunting just about anything!!!!

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:02 PM

After seeing all of you guys and your Jeeps. I got to doing some research looking at Jeeps and came across some old willys. The 1950 -1953 willys trucks caught my eye! I thought they looked pretty darn cool and seems like they would climb a tree if you wanted them to. So does anyone have any experience or knowledge about these trucks? Anything I should look out for, stay away from, run from? Give me the good, bad and ugly if you can. I am mostly looking for something to take hunting, go do a little 4x4ing and have a little project to work on and try and stay out of trouble? All right maybe not the stay out of trouble part but all the rest!

#2 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:36 PM

I had a 1973 cj 5 and liked it but with any of the older jeeps you will give up some amount of comfort. For one does it have power steering, it's not a must but it is nice to turn without much effort. The suspension will most likely be stiff with very little articulation. Does it get hot and will the older jeep have A/C. Don't get me wrong, I loved having an old jeep but as I got older I realized that the comforts of a newer jeep out weighed the charm of old iron. Sure you can upgrade the willy's to have comparable features of a newer jeep but it will take time and money.

#3 Brushstomper

Brushstomper

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:25 PM

So true about giving up some comforts!!!! It doesn't have power steering and I have been trying to price stuff I would want to put on it and see where I end up price wise. Kinda see if it might be cheaper in the long run to go with something newer? It just looks so cool!!! I am sure it won't look so cool when it is 100 degrees out with no A/C though :lol: I usually take my F-150 super crew to do most of my hunting so I would stil have that as an option. I really like how old it is and the look. Kinda always wanted something with a little age on it. Thanks for the input!

#4 microtus

microtus

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Interests:About average for everybody else in here.

Posted 22 April 2010 - 05:02 AM

A lot of folks just swap the body onto a newer model vehicle frame. You end up with a stronger frame, better motor and drivetrain.added a few links for grins n giggleshttp://www.pirate4x4...ad.php?t=247437http://www.pirate4x4...ad.php?t=817672and my favoritehttp://www.pirate4x4...ad.php?t=725859
Watching the government rape the 4th to pillage the 2nd.

#5 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:09 AM

We have an old Willy's jeep CJ-1. There are a few drawbacks in comparrison to a more contemporary jeep. One is that they are old and require more maintenance. We also have a ten year old wrangler we use for hunting and the wrangler is more reliable. When something breaks on the Willys I generally have to either order the part or get something similar and alter it to make it work. Either way it is more work and takes longer to get the machine back in the field. The lack of power steering is an issue but if the steering is well maintained with good parts and grease it isn't as critical. The heater in the wrangler is nice when it is cold. Even with the top off in the wrangler and the windshield down I can put the heat on my feet on a real cold day. The willys doesn't have any climate control. The seats in a stock willys are not all that comfortable in my opinion. The suspension isn't as soft either. But both of those things can be remedied. We got the wrangler simply because the willys was getting old and tired with more down time in it's old age but still enjoy driving the old girl when we go hunting.

#6 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:16 AM

My Jeep is almost 30-years old. It's fun to own an older vehicle but there are definite sacrifices involved. Older technology means a less comfortable ride, less engine power and outdated systems. Also, stuff wears out and breaks like window regulators, door locks, gauges, hinges, brackets, etc. Wiring and harness plugs must be serviced too, or problems will arise. It's like most things in life. There are always up sides and down sides. If you are willing to accept the limitations and added maintenance associated with owning an "older" vehicle, go for it because it is fun. If ya don't like to get a bit of grease under your nails from time to time, stick with a newer rig.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#7 Brushstomper

Brushstomper

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:03 PM

It's like most things in life. There are always up sides and down sides. If you are willing to accept the limitations and added maintenance associated with owning an "older" vehicle, go for it because it is fun. If ya don't like to get a bit of grease under your nails from time to time, stick with a newer rig.[/quote]Very well said!!! Sounds like everyone is along the same lines. Microtus: That last link you posted about that build was unbelievable!!!!! Amazing that one person has the skill to do that. That rig was awesome!!!! Very cool stuff on there.

#8 macscal

macscal

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 11:59 AM

Depending on how much you want to spend on your project, stick with the CJ series.....1972 and newer, parts are easier to find and cheaper.....pre '72 has the old frame and are kinda "twisty"......good luck

#9 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 06:51 PM

But the pre 1975 no smog law does bolster an advantage to the older stuff...
Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.

#10 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:22 PM

Went pig hunting around Glenville and I found these, just weathering away. You can probably have it for a song.Posted ImagePosted Image
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users