• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:28 PM

I am mounting a Nikon Encore 2-8X Silver Scope on a Stainless Super Blackhawk 44 Mag. In researching it I see I have a drill and a no-drill option. While I consider the Leupold mount stronger, it requires two holes to be drilled and tapped in a new gun. (my machinist friend he would do it if I picked up the 6-48 tap). The second option is the silver Weaver no drill mount that grips the barrel. Besides the effect of nay value change on the gun, the leupold mount sits the scope further back than the Weaver. For you guys with both mounts, what are your opinions?Thanks In Advance!Leupold one-piece dual dovetail mount - silver 53554VSWeaver Mount Scope Base with 1" Rings Ruger Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk #301S Silver

#2 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:46 PM

Drill and Tap. With the recoil of the .44 the Weaver will have some movement.

#3 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:39 PM

An update to the project. I received the Leupold mount (53554 Dual Dovetail) and Leupold Dovetail rings and discovered a problem with the mount system for the Super Blackhawk (my model is 0804 stainless). Ruger has now raised an area around the rear sight threaded hole about ten thousands of an inch which basically allows the rear sight to raise up ever so slightly more. In doing this the Leupold mount no longer seats properly in the groove where the rear sight normally sits. After a conversation with both Leupold and Ruger tech support today, I was directed to machine off the slight plateau in the rear sight groove to get the dovetail mount to seat properly before drilling and tapping the front holes. Luckily my machinist friend has a milling machine but others may not be so lucky.

#4 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:06 AM

Finished! My gun smith/machinist buddy spent 2.5 hrs making the mount right (1.5 hrs) and drilling and tapping the holes (1 hr) this morning. It cost me his breakfast. :ninja: Attached File  1.jpg   15.88KB   27 downloads

#5 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:23 AM

Looks sweet Brant. I think you'll like the scope. I had a setup very similar to yours years ago. SBH with a T/C 3x on top. Really liked 240 cast. I think my personal distance record was 112yds on a ground rat.If you have not sighted that beast in yet, scoot the scope forward till it contacts the ring, that will help prevent scope slippage.

#6 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:32 AM

Thanks - I put a clearer picture out there. I just Threw the scope on there. Is the scope sliding really an issue?

#7 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:47 AM

Scope slippage is always issue to think about. Different loads can affect slipping, the heavier, sharper recoil loads seem to be the worst. Right now the scope is held by the clamping power of the rings, by pushing the scope forward till contact is made, you have added a physical barrier in addition to the clamping power of the rings.The setup as is may be perfectly fine, but since it is a heavy recoiler, I'd make changes now. Leupold made/makes a sleeve for their pistol scopes that fit around the scope body and between the ring and turrets.

#8 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 09:57 AM

Thanks! I haven't put a scope on a big bore pistol so this is a first. I have a few big rifles with scopes including a 300 Win Mag rifle and have never had a problem but the smaller pistol seems to be a different beast with recoil. This is a lot more pleasant to shoot with moderate loads than I expected. My SW 642 38 SPL with +P loads are harder on the hand.

#9 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:04 AM

The moderate loads are fun to shoot, and you really don't need heavy loads for general purpose. I hear you on the 642, :ninja: , my 649 with factory slabs is the same way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users