5 replies to this topic

#1 hunting guy

hunting guy

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 12:37 PM

I am looking at getting a B-Square roto-tilt bipod in no-glare silver finish for my Ruger M77 Hawkeye as they are cheap (found one for $30) and would look atractive with my rifle's walnut stock and stainless steel bolt. Are these good, steady, reliable bipods? I can't find any reviews. If there is another good bipod under $50 anybody can find, I'm open to suggestions. I'm tired of carrying around shooting sticks in my pack and getting hung up on trees.I would be getting a 9-15 incher with sling swivel adapters and 7 inch leg exstensions. Does anybody have experience with this bipod?

#2 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:15 PM

The only ones I have used are the harris bipods. They cost more than that but I like them.

#3 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 05:43 AM

If this bipod is for hunting, it seems alittle short unless you are shooting prone. Id reccomend building a set of shooting sticks so you can shoot from different terrain, and for easier height adjustment. I too have the Harris models, but you cant beat a pair of sticks in many situations.

#4 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:25 PM

As Grant stated, 15" is too short. I own several Harris bypods (my favorite) & the one I sometimes use goes up to 27" & can still be too short on occasion, due to angles, steepness of terrain & brush etc. I normally use attached bypods for big game hunting and preferring shooting stix for predator work.The shooting stick I am currently using (out of several I own) is by Vanguard (U shaped) purchased from ALLPREDATORCALLS.COM. It has a much better adjustment range from 20-40". Also, if you have to SWING your rifle for the shot, it is much easier with shooting stix, just dropping them and free swinging the rifle. An attached bypod can be much more difficult & hanging up on brush as your TRYING to swing the rifle (from the sitting position).Hope this helps and Good LuckFrank

#5 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 02:54 PM

Frank another thing... this might be one that should be posted in.. Help a Newbie... On a few stands now I have decided that the one set of Bipods I have is too tall for alot of stands. This decision should be thought about while setting up a stand. Along with setting the scope and getting comfortable, are you getting proper eye level while looking through the scope? If not, you will find that unnecessary movement will be required to get a bead on the Coyote coming in. I have 2 sets, 1 is on the Tikka, the other is on the Howa, Howa sits taller and has made me miss a few Coyotes. On Thursday afternoon hunt at the new spot as I set up I knew that something didnt feel completely comfortable but I set up anyway and missed a shot. Thursday evening when I went back, I set up and then started looking around with the scope. I didnt like what I saw. I found myself in the same awkward position and was thinking " Missed Coyote". Before starting the caller I relocated and set up again, this time with more comfort, and I scored. The more I use the Bipods, the more I think about shooting sticks.. I had a set in the truck, but was too lazy to switch em out.. lol Soo many variables in hunting. Good luck everyone!

#6 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 18 April 2010 - 03:11 PM

Yep, excellent point Grant, & I totally agree not wanting bypods or stix being TOO tall. Guess that's partially why I own so many variations of both. YIKES! LOL... Also good idea this being pointed out on the newbie post. Frank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users