• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Redneckshooter

Redneckshooter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Shooting/Hunting, Outdoor activities, gaming, and saltwater aquariums.

Posted 03 April 2010 - 06:27 PM

For quite some time I have been looking into building a custom hunting AR-15 for medium sized game (coyotes/pigs). I am looking for a caliber capable of making accurate shots out to 500 yards (if I do my part), and is preferably flat shooting. I will likely be shooting the Barnes TSX/TTSX bullets or the Hornady GMX bullets and I do reload. Unfortunately I cannot seem to make up my mind as to which caliber to choose.I would very much appreciate any comments or suggestions for a specific caliber (pro's/cons etc...)I have been looking at the 6.5 Grendel, 6mm AR Turbo, or the 243/25 wssm from D-Tech. I am having a hard time making my mind up but am narrowing the choices down to either the 6.5 Grendel or 6mm AR Turbo. I have come to those two caliber choices mainly due to brass/bullet availability. The Grendel seems pretty popular but I like the amount of bullet choices available for the 6mm.Ideally I am looking at having a barrel approximately 20" or 22" depending upon how that will affect the ballistics of the caliber I choose. I currently have my lower assembled already and will just need a complete upper.I look forward to hearing everyone's comments/opinions! Thanks in advance for any responses!

#2 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 06:34 PM

How much will this Rifle weigh? That could be a deciding factor as well. I have shot a few AR's and they seem a bit heavy. Good luck with your choices, and Good Hunting!

#3 Redneckshooter

Redneckshooter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Shooting/Hunting, Outdoor activities, gaming, and saltwater aquariums.

Posted 03 April 2010 - 06:57 PM

I am going to try and keep the rifle between 8-9 lbs with scope. I am looking at utilizing one of the carbon-fiber hand-guards to reduce weight along with fluting the barrel.

#4 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 03 April 2010 - 07:45 PM

I have a D-Tech 243 WSSM Upper with a 20" fluted barrel, it is a 1-10" twist. It shoots the new Barnes Tipped TSX 80 gr bullets pretty good. I wish I would have got a faster twist rate than the 1-10".

#5 Redneckshooter

Redneckshooter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:08 AM

Other than the twist rate are you pleased with your purchase? Are you concerned at all about the long term sustainability of the cartridge and the availability of reload parts? I really like the 243 wssm but am hesitant to go that route only because very little people are producing that cartridge in an AR platform. Also how difficult is it reloading for 243 wssm I have heard that it can be a very finicky cartridge.

#6 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:53 AM

Mike at D-Tech told me to use Varget powder and so far I have not had any problems. I bought 300 new brass right after I bought the 243 WSSM upper. So I am pretty sure I will have enough brass to last my life time.Midway USA has 243 WSSM brass right now.I have heard a bunch of horror stories on the 243 WSSM cartridge in bolt action rifles not feeding right. I have not heard of any problems with the AR 243 WSSM rifles yet.

#7 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:35 AM

6.5 Grendels rule. I have built three so far. Lightweight, accurate at long range and stay supersonic to 1,200 yards. They feed flawlessly, don't cost a fortune to reload and there are plenty of bullet choices. A 16" barrel Grendel will print a 3" pattern at 425-yards. I'm sold. Check out Youtube for Grendel videos. Also Alexander Arms.comAttached File  Grendel_Logo.jpg   11.64KB   28 downloads

#8 donkey12

donkey12

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 02:20 PM

Check out the 6.8 spc. It doesnt have the long range you want but is worth considering as an option. It is a great mid range round." Home of the 6.8 spc" website has alot of good info.I got one and love it.

#9 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:44 PM

+1 for the Grendel!

#10 bruce_ventura

bruce_ventura

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Camping, hunting, shooting, optics, scuba, boating.

Posted 14 April 2010 - 09:52 PM

Pay close attention to the barrel lengths people are using to get the muzzle velocities they report. 26" barrels are not uncommon on competition rifles. You could take a hit of ~200-300 fps shooting from a 20" barrel, which will take some of the bloom off the rose for these 6-6.8 mm cartridges. For your needs, take another look at the 6.8 SPC. It's plenty capable out to 500 yards and you'll have a larger variety of handloading components (can fire some of the same bullets as a 270 Win).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users