13 replies to this topic

#1 HogHunter714

HogHunter714

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 03:41 PM

I just got a new Polaris Ranger SidexSide. My buddy and I went out today and put it to the test. I was in a meadow and it was pretty soft soil. I ended up getting half way across and buried my UTV to the floorboards. I was stuck GOOD. My buddy ended up pulling me out with his Warn Winch. I got to thinking. I would of been screwed if I was solo. I have a 4,000 pound winch, snatchblock, 10,000 pound tree strap, etc.Here's my question. I live in Nevada and where I ride, you always can't find a solid tree or a large boulder to hook up to. If I get stuck (riding solo of course) and have nothing to hook up to, is there some sort of "anchor system" I can use to pull myself out. I would think you would have to dig infront or behind your UTV and place something in the solid soil (hole) to catch onto while you winch out. Any suggestions or websites that so this technique?

#2 thebeast64ol

thebeast64ol

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:I love to go out and hunt, hike, backpack, pretty much anything that is in the outdoors.

Posted 03 April 2010 - 04:36 PM

Here you go. Smittybilt WASP
This is Remington Country!

#3 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,498 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 03 April 2010 - 05:44 PM

I've used my spare tire from my Jeep that I buried to use as an anchor. But I made a dedicated anchor out of an old tractor disc. I added a clevis to the center hole to winch to. It didn't cost me anything and angled into the ground it works like a plow. The more you pull the more it dug in. It got me out of some deep stuff. Just keep a shovel with you to help clear the much in front of your tires. Once you are out you just pull it backwards and it pops out of the ground and you go on your way. That device above is pretty nice but $139 I could build one so much cheaper.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#4 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 09:42 PM

http://www.pullpal.com/Is another one. Like John said however, something similar can be made pretty easy if your handy with a welder. I've also gotten myself out of a jamb by driving two steel fence posts into the ground at an angle and winching from them with a come a long... it wasn't fast but it got me home without having to call for a rescue :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:
"I grew up poor. It's the people who are born with money who jump out of windows."---Lee TrevinoDo NOT spread my wealth. Spread my work ethic.Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.Many people imply, with bad jokes, that Cajuns are unintelligent; however, anyone that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a Hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a genius.

#5 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 04 April 2010 - 04:28 PM

A friend in Wy carries an old car axle and drives it into the ground at an angle. Can be pulled out from the other side or replaced later. Works best if the one end is pointed with a torch first.

#6 Baja_Traveler

Baja_Traveler

Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:47 PM

In sandy soils we always found a Danforth anchor to work really well. I always bring one on my trips to Baja. The nice thing about them is they are cheap, and store flat.

If you can get arrested for hunting or fishing without a license, but not for being in the country illegally,… you might live in a country founded by geniuses but run by idiots.

#7 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:39 AM

Whatever you decide to use, be very careful and make sure all of your equipment is up for the job. Many years ago, I witnessed a cable parting while a tank retriever was winching a tank out of a ditch. When that cable snapped it was like a bullwhip. One man was seriously injured and another was killed. To this day, I don't want to be near anything being winched out. Make sure your cable is good, your shackles are in good shape and whatever you have attached your winch to is not going to break. And whatever you do, stand clear of that cable.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#8 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:05 PM

If you have a jacket or blanket place it in the halfway of the cable it will help slow it not stop it if it snapsYa nothing like hearing a link in a chain or cable going you wont forget that sound

#9 HogHunter714

HogHunter714

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 09:38 PM

Some good info...Thx

#10 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 11:24 PM

I have seen that wasp thing work its pretty cool. I don't want to spend that kind of money though. I wish I had a welder I'd make me something. How heavy is your set up John because I want to make something for my quad, as I go out buy myself most of the time thx robert
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#11 macscal

macscal

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:12 PM

Here you go....old school, but worth its weight in gold when you have nothing else....http://www.offroader...dman-Anchor.htm

#12 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:35 AM

I think the problem with the dead man would be the concrete dirt i usually am around, I was fooling around last winter and high centered on some very hard snow lol. After digging out the snow from under the 800 pound quad, while still wearing all my jackets, I figured out it would be easier if i just wouldn't get stuck.
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#13 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 04 September 2010 - 11:45 PM

If there aren't any trees around don't be afraid to try using manzanita bushes as a winching point. They have great roots and as long as you tie off really close to the ground it takes alot to pull one out of the ground. One time Lilwes and I used it to winch my 2500 hd chevy out of a really bad spot and we were both amazed at how well it worked.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#14 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 04:54 AM

Anything would be easier then digging in the concrete that is for sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users