12 replies to this topic

#1 CalNeva

CalNeva

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:42 AM

The original magazine appears to be the standard 30 rd. size. The factory installed a metal stop restricting its' capacity to 10 rds. (CA compliant). How can this metal stop be removed in order to use this magazine to its' maximum? The magazine is made of a Polymer fused material leaving very little work space once the spring is removed. Please help!

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,807 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:22 AM

If I'm not mistaken, if you remove it, and are caught, you are guilty of a felony. That removes your right to ever own guns again. Much easier to just change out the magazine after shooting 10 rounds.

#3 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:49 AM

Don't even THINK about removing that. As Braz says, you may find yourself in a world of hurt. 10-rounds is plenty and if you can find the shorter 5 or 10 round mags, they're much easer to handle for hunting, etc.

#4 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Hunting i.e. deer, varmints, yotes. Target Shooting, Trap Shooting.

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:47 PM

If I'm not mistaken, if you remove it, and are caught, you are guilty of a felony. That removes your right to ever own guns again. Much easier to just change out the magazine after shooting 10 rounds.

Braz is correct. Felony if you're caught with it in CA. With this you'll loose your gun rights for the rest of your life. Not worth it.

#5 goosebrown

goosebrown

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Interests:Ceramics. WEB programming. Varmint hunting and possibly pig hunting.

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:59 PM

I went and got a few 10 round magazines for my M1A. No point in messing about with something like that. Easy to change a 10 rounder and 10 is a lot for anything short of a REAL emergency.

#6 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 03:38 PM

I have some 30 round magazines that I bought for my 10/22 over 20 yrs ago. I haven't shot the 10/22 in awhile but are those mags illegal too? Last time I took it out I just used the one stock mag just to shoot a few rounds for it. Maybe I should through them away?

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,588 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 01 April 2010 - 03:51 PM

You bought them before they were illegal to buy so you are okay.

#8 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:16 PM

Maybe I should throw them away?

You can send them to me for proper disposal. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#9 powderedtoastman

powderedtoastman

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Snowshoeing, backpacking, target shooting, off-roading, hunting(varmint, predator, big game), just about anything in the outdoors!

Posted 03 April 2010 - 05:27 PM

POSESSION of a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds is NOT illegal. Basically if you buy some in Reno or Vegas and bring them into CA and get caught, you're in deep stuff. If you owned them prior to January 1, 2000, you're good to go. LEO's are exempt.

#10 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,067 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 05:41 PM

What I have read regarding Hi cap mags is this.. There are usually no markings on magazines.. so who is to say they werent bought before the AW Ban? But on the flipside, I say why give them a reason to ask? If I really want to shoot that stuff, Id go to a Free State and shoot it there. We are surrounded by lunatics in Cali, and it goes all the way to the Top! Dont give Em a reason.. keep a low profile.

#11 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:21 AM

While its true most are not marked if you own some that were not even manufactured until a couple years ago its hard to say they were grandfathered.

#12 fishandhunt4ever

fishandhunt4ever

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:I really love hunting and fishing. I am looking forward to making friends from this web community and share information that can be helpful.

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:48 AM

Its not worth the risk. To my understanding even Law Enforcement is confused about the statutes. And they will better off lock someone up and let the DA deal with it, then be like, "OK" cool. Cali is a state where the law makers think that banning certain guns and magazines will make crime go away. Since we all know how disapointed felons get when their background checks come back positive and the can't buy that weapon they wanted for the robbery or drive by they were going to do 10 days from then.If you do ever move out of state, I believe there are kits that you can purchase to remove the restrictor.

#13 CalNeva

CalNeva

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 04:24 PM

Thank you for your responses. It will be mainly used out of State. I just thought that someone might have a special (ingenious) technique as to removing the stopper. Since this is a recent model on the market, it can't be grand fathered in under the new laws. Besides, this original magazine is stamped "10 rounds". This could all be resolved by purchasing, in addition, a legal 30 magazine without a problem!!! Thanks again for your creative ideas and things keeping legal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users