#1 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:Predator Calling, Squirrel Shooting, Reloading

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:05 AM

I'm thinkin about buyin a jeep wrangler, or a willy's for a dedicated hunting vehicle.I'm not into rock crawling, I don't plan on taking it up the hill & breaking trail in 3' of snow either, so I'm not interested in Lockers, or any of the extreme upgrades.Over the past few month's I've been looking on Craigs List at jeeps & I've seen several real nice jeeps come & go, but theres been several rigs that I passed up on mainly because I wasn't sure about the upgrades that had been done to them.What I'm real vague on is, all the different axles & differentials. I see a lot of adds for rigs with Dana axles front & rear, sometimes they are a different # axle in the front.Also I see a few adds with Dana Transfer cases, whats the advantage to this?? Is the Dana better than the stock?? is it lower geared for crawling??Lift Kits are another puzzle, I know you can buy a lift kit, but then I see adds with lifted jeeps that are also Sprung Over, aswell as Reverse Shackled???????? Sprung over, just means that leaf springs are on top of the axle, instead of under it like it is when stock right????Heres what I want, 3 1/2" - 4" lift, 33" A/T Tires, SYE Kit, CV Rear Drive Line, 8,000lbs Winch that fits in a 2" reciever so I can move it from the front to the rear if nesecary. A Hard Top is preferable for some added security when I park it to go off on a stand.I've been warned to avoid the 4.2L engines unless I like working on them alot.Any Help would be appreciated. Thanks Lee

#2 thebeast64ol

thebeast64ol

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:I love to go out and hunt, hike, backpack, pretty much anything that is in the outdoors.

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:31 AM

When I had my CJ7 the 4.2 wasn't a problem, but I also had a throttle body injection kit on it (so much better than a carb).As for lockers.....I would get them anyways, you never know when you might need to "lock it up" to get out of a place that turned out to much more difficult than you planned. The Dana 300 T-Case is a gear driven case which has a very good reputation for being bullet proof and also has many aftermarket parts to really customize it.

#3 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 12:47 PM

Jeeps are great, I had a CJ and it just wasn't enough room for the type of hunting I do. I have a cherokee now and it has barely enough room. Spring over will give you the lift but the problem is that you will probably pick up some axle wrap. Reverse shackles will give you a smoother ride on the rode but it's a jeep and you don't buy them for the smoot ride any ways. If you are using it for hunting and not hard off roading the stock axles should be fine, if you are going to be hard on the trail you may want to find something with Dana 44s or better. I have stock axles in my XJ and haven't had any problems yet, you just need to watch how you drive on the tral a little more. IMO if you are hunting with more than one person get something with a little more room, a jeep will do it but may be a little tight, I can hunt 3 people in the cherokee and hve enough room for the gear.

#4 microtus

microtus

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:About average for everybody else in here.

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:43 PM

I'm thinkin about buyin a jeep wrangler, or a willy's for a dedicated hunting vehicle.I'm not into rock crawling, I don't plan on taking it up the hill & breaking trail in 3' of snow either, so I'm not interested in Lockers, or any of the extreme upgrades.Over the past few month's I've been looking on Craigs List at jeeps & I've seen several real nice jeeps come & go, but theres been several rigs that I passed up on mainly because I wasn't sure about the upgrades that had been done to them.What I'm real vague on is, all the different axles & differentials. I see a lot of adds for rigs with Dana axles front & rear, sometimes they are a different # axle in the front.Also I see a few adds with Dana Transfer cases, whats the advantage to this?? Is the Dana better than the stock?? is it lower geared for crawling??Lift Kits are another puzzle, I know you can buy a lift kit, but then I see adds with lifted jeeps that are also Sprung Over, a swell as Reverse Shackled???????? Sprung over, just means that leaf springs are on top of the axle, instead of under it like it is when stock right????Heres what I want, 3 1/2" - 4" lift, 33" A/T Tires, SYE Kit, CV Rear Drive Line, 8,000lbs Winch that fits in a 2" reciever so I can move it from the front to the rear if nesecary. A Hard Top is preferable for some added security when I park it to go off on a stand.I've been warned to avoid the 4.2L engines unless I like working on them alot.Any Help would be appreciated. Thanks Lee

Jeep JK's, TJ's, YJ's and CJ's from newer to older. Axles could be 44 front/44rear, 30 front/44 rear, 30 front/35 rear, 30 front/35 rear, 30 front/ 20 rear and the list goes on. 44's are generally stronger. Even if you wheel it 30's in front work for a LOT of people with 33" tires. Probably should avoid the Dana 35 and amc 20 rear axles. Having different axles front and rear isn't a problem. Vacuum disconnect front dana 30's (found in YJ's) kinda suck, as do the peugot transmissions.Somebody else already covered spring overs and reverse shackles. You shouldn't have to worry about a SYE unless you pick up a new Jeep with a np231 transfer case., even then, a lot of people just run them stock. No SYE then no need for a CV drive line. I have never needed to winch myself backwards. Throw a winch on the front and be done with it. I don't know much about the 4.2, I have a 4.0 with no complaints. You will like at least, the rear axle locked up.Part of it comes down to how new do you want, how much do you want to spend and do you want to deal with smog. Plenty of low $, pre-smog Jeeps for sale out there though hard tops might be an issue.

#5 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 28 March 2010 - 07:55 PM

Nicely said jawbreaker. Here's my advice to a new jeeper. Don't buy a jeep that was someone elses project. You won't know what they changed, modified or installed. A seller does not have the time to go over all the things they may have done to the vehicle and will quickly find out that you know nothing about jeeps once they start mentioning things like disconnecting sway bars, 3 or 4 link geometry suspensions, etc.... so since you're new to the jeep craze, buy something completely stock. This way, it will be your project and you'll know everything about it. Here's another advice-don't buy one with a 4 cylinder engine. You'll just be angry that it doesn't have any power to pass vehicles on the freeway or can't hold 60mph into a head wind. Get one with a 4.0 liter engine, otherwise known as a "straight six". These engines have been around a long time and are tough and dependable as anything out there and should've never been replaced. The newer 07+ Jeeps have the 4.2 liter V-6 engines. Not anywhere near as dependable as the "straight six" nor does it have the low end torque (required by most jeepers) to navigate tough terrains. So, to make this short-look for a stock Wrangler 06 and older with a 4.0 liter, not the 4 cylinder and you'll be happy. If you can, try looking for a 98 to 06 Wrangler, only because they have a better stock suspension (coil springs with shocks) versus the older "leaf spring" models. Nothing wrong with leaf springs but there are more things you can do with a coil/spring than with leafs. Good luck in your hunt for a jeep. Oh, stop by your local library and ask for a book called the Jeep Bible. This book tells you all about the history of the jeeps up to some of the current TJ's.

#6 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:08 AM

Ha Ha! Like my Jeep Fakawee.....Another option is doing what I did and buying an older FSJ (full sized Jeep). There is an upside and a downside to this decision. Mine is a 1981 two door Cherokee and I think I paid $2,500.00 for it eight years ago. Between gradual upgrades and optional work, I have a tidy sum invested in this vehicle. But...it is like a tank and will go through just about anything. The 258 cui. fuel injected (I installed MOPAR Multi-Port Injection) in-line 6-cylinder engine has a load of torque at minimal RPMs and off road, it pulls like a mule through the softest sand and anything else. The front/rear weight distribution is pretty even (258-6 cylinder) and it is not a heavy rig. It does give you much more room for gear and if you can find an older one, you can qualify for no smog check. The down side is you have an old vehicle. To assure reliability in the desert, I have done extensive rebuilds on every frigging major part on my Jeep. I did not do all of it at once, but as I had the extra $$, I would have something else rebuilt or replaced. I made the mistake of adding up my repair and elective work receipts about a month ago. What a stunner....I could have bought a much newer vehicle for what I have invested....but, I did not lay all that $$$ out at once either. The bottom line is function and reliability. Primarily you need your rig to get you way out there far from cell coverage and bring you home safely again. It is also nice to have room for support gear like extra water, tools, parts, first aid kit, small air compressor, calling gear, decoys, camping needs, cooler, etc. When I go on a hunting weekend, I like my hunting and camping gear handy. There is no way my traveling coyote killing road show could be stuffed into a CJ. I have too much crap.Think about going a little bigger. You won't regret it. There are probably some great deals on older Cherokees out there.

#7 thebeast64ol

thebeast64ol

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:I love to go out and hunt, hike, backpack, pretty much anything that is in the outdoors.

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:40 AM

The newer 07+ Jeeps have the 4.2 liter V-6 engines. Not anywhere near as dependable as the "straight six" nor does it have the low end torque (required by most jeepers) to navigate tough terrains.

fakawee, the 4.2 is also the old 258 CID CJ engine straight six config. Just putting that out there so people wont get confused if they see 4.2 in the ad but it ends up having a straight six.

#8 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:56 AM

My cherokee is a 98 and I picked it up for $3000 BONE STOCK WITH 65,000 MILES. I wanted to be the one that built it up and know that it hasn't bee beat up too bad off road. It took a while to find the right one but the deals are out there.Attached File  1.jpg   20.79KB   20 downloads

#9 BPS

BPS

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:Predator Calling, Squirrel Shooting, Reloading

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:54 PM

Here's my advice to a new jeeper. Don't buy a jeep that was someone elses project. You won't know what they changed, modified or installed. A seller does not have the time to go over all the things they may have done to the vehicle and will quickly find out that you know nothing about jeeps once they start mentioning things like disconnecting sway bars, 3 or 4 link geometry suspensions, etc.... so since you're new to the jeep craze, buy something completely stock. This way, it will be your project and you'll know everything about it.

Buyin a stock rig is deffinentally the smarter way to go, for me.Lots of good advice & deffinentally more clarification Thanks guys.

#10 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,807 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:01 PM

Just a couple of additional comments. I had a stock wrangler and a stock Grand Cherokee. Both would do a heck of a lot more than I wanted to do. My suggestion is also to get a stock rig, and then just drive it. After a year or so, if you find you need to do something, fine, but my guess is, if you aren't planning on doing rocking crawling, etc, you won't need to do any upgrades to it.

#11 knox35

knox35

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:52 PM

I just sold my Cherokee and bought a 98 Wrangler. My Cherokee was great and hauled everything I needed unfortunately it was not a good daily driver. When I lost my job I also lost my company vehicle and I was using my Tahoe to shuffle kids so I sold my Cherokee and S-10 and bought a stock Wrangler that way I had a better idea of it's condition. Since I added new bumpers a swing away 3.75 inch lift and 32'' Bfg mudds. I also installed a winch as far as gear hauling goes I purchased a 4x6 trailer flipped the axle and cut blocks in for more ground clearance. I bought one with a 4 cylinder only for mileage. If you can afford it go with a 6 cylinder and make sure it has FI 97-up I think 60 MPH in a headwind is a little much maybe 55 unless your going downhill. But nothing beats a Cherokee.

#12 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:54 PM

Yeah, I owned a Jeep CJ-5, brand new in '71 and kept it for about a year... Because of that, my advice is DON'T buy one, due to the reasons already stated above. NO ROOM, except for a lunch pail. Definintely get something a little larger unless you just cannot go through life any longer without one. Love them in other words!Good LuckFrank

#13 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:03 PM

Or you could do like I did purchase the 4 door Rubicon Jeep and be done the only thing I need to do is lift it 2 inches so chains will clear the rock sliders and find a front bumper that has storage for things like chains and other stuff you don't want to have in the jeep and a place to bolt my high lift jack And my v6 has plenty of power for me but then I don’t Rock crawl

#14 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:18 PM

I can buy 4 or 5 cherokees for what you paid for that rubicon and I will go anywhere you will. Those are nice but do you really want to beat up a $30,000 jeep when you are hunting. My brother has an 09 rubi and we trimmed the sliders by an inch to make room for 35s, all you need is a sawsall and a few minutes.

#15 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:53 PM

Or you could do like I did purchase the 4 door Rubicon Jeep and be done the only thing I need to do is lift it 2 inches so chains will clear the rock sliders and find a front bumper that has storage for things like chains and other stuff you don't want to have in the jeep and a place to bolt my high lift jack And my v6 has plenty of power for me but then I don't Rock crawl

Stan, I think you'd cry if you had to follow me into some of the areas I hunt in with my TJ. Guys with new toys don't like scratches or dents. You should just get it over with and take a sage bush and run it up and down the sides of your JK. Then you won't mind taking it out hunting. Wheel on!

#16 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:35 PM

Been there Done That I mean the brush coming in foot and a half on both sides of the truck place called Deep Creek just above Bowen Ranch was one nice jeep trail drove it with a full size pickup back thenTime 28 years ago before all the fires that removed all the brushFrazer Park was another camping hunting off road place for me back thenNow have a son almost 2 and a daughter almost 6 months old so wild driving time is done plenty of places that need 4 wheel drive can still enjoy without the damage besides I'm not a Billy-goat if the drive is that bad the hike from the jeep will be even more work and not necessary for Coyote or ? So yes your correct I'm not into the scrapes but I sure love all the goodies built in lockers & especially the My Gig system fun to drive out all day and come back in the night when my friend said turn right here to go back no look at the GPS trail we go left to go back and not farther out

#17 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:50 PM

fakawee and I aren't too far from you, let's go wheelin one Saturday. I have a spot hear in the north county that has everything from mild to wild. We don't even need to scratch your rig up. I was looking at a bumper for my super duty at outlaw off road that was a winch bumper with a compartment on each side of the winch for storage. I don't remember the make but it sounds like what you are looking for. It souds like the type off off roading you do you won't be needing a high lift jack but if you want one let me know and I can fabricate a mount for your stock rear bumper, I don't think it would be hard to put somthing together.

#18 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:34 PM

Lets talk at the camp event your going or working?

#19 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:48 PM

Jawbreaker and I are going to the meet n greet. Probably be there late afternoon or earlier. See ya there fellows!

#20 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,330 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 11:55 AM

I am trying to get to my heater core it is leaking green stuff all over.Do I have to take the dash out?

#21 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:17 PM

What year is your Jeep? Most TJ's you will have to remove the dash. Look under the hood and find out where your heater lines go thru the firewall. This will give you an idea of where the core is. On '04 and newer, you will have to remove the HVAC unit from the vehicle to get to the heater core or AC evaporator.

#22 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,330 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:28 AM

It's a 92 YJ I don't worry about scratches either..I found some info on a jeep forum .I just have to un bolt the whole unit 2 bolts on the fire well and pull it out then open it up and change the heater core.It's more time consuming then anything. I un pluged the heater core ran one hose back into the other line for now don't have time to mess with it.I just use it to hunt it has a 2.5 and 456 gears takes for ever to get up to 55!Posted ImageYou like my home made bumper I had the big loop bent and made the rest my self and welded it together.I have used it to push a bail of hay off the road and pushed downed branches out of my way as I drove threw and made my own road.

#23 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 07:43 AM

The best wheeling is under 10mph anyways. I geared mine with 456s also and it is a bulldog now.

#24 macscal

macscal

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:06 PM

The 4.2liter or 258 was the standard motor for several years.....It is a workhorse. The problem, is not with the motor, its with the fact that it is carburated and people complain about issues related to the fuel system. The 4.0 has fuel injection, but basically the same motor.....good luck

#25 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:56 PM

Buy a Toyota... Jeeps blow. :D

#26 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:19 PM

Special delivery for Camo Ghost.... :D At least you know that when you get stuck real well, you can always call one of us Jeep guys to tug you out... ;)LOL

#27 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 01:29 PM

LOL!! It's a huge argument between the Toyota owners and Jeep owners in my 4 wheel club.. The Toyota's do dominate 99% of the trails but there are a few times when the short wheel base of a jeep does come in handy.. Needs less to say we have a good time with Toyota and Jeep rivalry jokes and pranks!

#28 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:18 PM

Jeep/ toyota they're both good vehicles and if modified the same they would perform pretty much the same. If you put a stock jeep up against a stock toyota I beleive the jeep would do better off road IMO. With that said, I do beleive there are more toyotas out there built for crawling than there are jeeps and we shouldn't sell either of them short.

#29 Single Six

Single Six

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors - Shooting, hunting, wildlife, vehicles.

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:27 PM

Ditto fakawee.Toyota 4runner, Cherokee, or TJ Unlimited will give you the best bang for the buck - coming from someone with a lot of 4x4 experience and a little hunting experience. Fuel injected blazers can be had cheap and are great rigs but not great on mileage. Since I've eased off on the hardcore 4x4 thing and eased into hunting, the most important things are ride, reliability, room, and as inexpensive to buy and run as possible. Right now - 1998 4runner V6 4x4 hand-me-down from my wife - got her an '04. It's not very manly, my buddies rag me about my grocery getter and call me soccer mom, but it's a great huntin' and campin' rig. It'll be perfect when I lose the anti sway bars (much better ride and off road capability), lift a bit, and get a little bit bigger tires on it. It already has a positraction in the back axle. Last rig (still have it, needs fixin') is a '95 Dodge Ram. Xcab longbed diesel, 38" tires, lockers, winch. Big, bad, ugly, loud, fast...I could hunt with it but the runner is cheaper, easier, quieter...and running, ha! Man, I miss my dodge...Before that, Blazer on one ton (Dana 60) axles, lockers, 38" tires. Still have it, it needs fixin' (a lot) too. (Seeing a trend?)Short jeeps are always short on room, can't imagine trying to hunt/camp out of my old CJ-7. CJ-6 is doable but they're gonna be old, rare, and a project. Buy something old, and you'll never have the time or $ for hunting...About anything on leaf springs is not going to ride as good as coils.

#30 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:57 PM

Be very careful Single Six when driving on the pavement without a sway bar hooked up on your vehicle. Remember, if you're lifting your vehicle and installing larger tires, you have moved your vehicles center of gravity up high and made the tire contact patch larger on the road surface. This is a recipe for the dreaded death wobbles some 4x4's have experienced. Going around corners will be very scary as the vehicle with no sway bars will tend to lean heavily to the outside of a turn. I have quick disconnects on my TJ's sway bars. It only takes a few minutes to disconnect them, tuck them away and go wheelin. Problem is, I have to remember that they're disconnected when I return to the pavement. Once-only once, have I forgetten to connect them back up and OMG, what a scare that was. Everything was fine till I went into a corner on a highway leading to the freeway. The jeep leaned drastically to one side like it was going to roll over at 40mph. I went to correct it and ended up driving off the highway, thru a field of sage brush and ripping out almost a hundred yards of barbed wire. Lucky for me, I was able to cut away the wire and 4wheel it to an area where I could drive out. Again, I have never forgotten to connect the sway bars back up. Be careful and keep that rubber on terra ferma!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users