• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:10 AM

I just watched Coyote Rage (a great coyote hunting flick) again after picking up a Mojo woodpecker on sale at Cabela's. It seemed like they had quite a bot of luck with them in the CR video. I noticed that rather than use the ground stake to mount the bird on they used a string and a fishing swivel hanging from a branches near the speaker originally. Then later in the video they started hanging the bird right near their stand where they were sitting. I don't know if Tim or Mike reads this but what combination ended up being the best way to use the Mojo woodpecker?Thanks,Brant

#2 Augnmike

Augnmike

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:32 AM

Brant I am not sure what stand had the decoy right where we were sitting, we never do that since we want the attention away from the shooters. If you mean near where we were sitting on a shotgun stand then we could be as close as 15 yards away. That being said the fishing line attached to the "Pecker" allows it to slowly spin and exposes the flash 360 degrees. We generally keep the decoy in the area of the caller but sometimes due the terrain or available trees they might be 10-15 ft apart. It doesn't really matter since by the time a predator can figure out that the two are apart it should be over. Lastly, I would not hesitate to use a ground stake in a more open environment but if it is thicker the higher the decoy the better.Mike

#3 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:37 AM

Hanging the Mojo Woodpecker decoy with some fishing line so the decoy is very close to the e-caller is hard to beat.Tim and Mike got some video of a bobcat checking out a Mojo Dove decoy hanging from a tree on some fishing line a few years back. So I stole their fishing line idea and it works pretty dang good.I don't even take the stake for the Mojo Woodpecker with me when I go calling. If there is no bush, tree or fence tall enough to hang the decoy with the fishing line, I use the fishing line to wrap around the decoys neck and small bush limbs and just tie the decoy in place with the wing sticking out away from the bush.

#4 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:50 AM

The woodpecker by the stand clip was one the examples when the coyote got up and left after getting hit. I think the issue was a lack of trees and bushes to put it on. It worked anyways. I got the swivels, leader and binder clip and am all setup to test her out. We have tons of tree cover and huge hills. Open areas are rare and called glades in the woods around here That's why we recently went to shotguns in more populated areas where stuff has been cleared. The coyotes are thicker too.That Coyote Rage video is fabulous and for the prices should be in every predator hunters collection. I have two older video's and they are really lame after CR. It has very clear and steady fliming and across so many different hunts in different terrain, seasons, weapons, and even in a couple different states. I have been hunting a long long long long time but when it is raining and nasty out I love plugging that in on the 60" HD tv.Thanks!!!

#5 Augnmike

Augnmike

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:34 PM

Brant, thanks for the kind words. I know that stand you are talking about now, that was the one and only time that decoy placement was used. That was the proto type of the Mojo Pecker and we needed to get some film of it in action so I think Tim just threw it up for the heck of it.

#6 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Anything Archery and of course my 22-250 vs. coyotes..

Posted 28 March 2010 - 06:05 PM

I know the stand you are talking about and yes, there weren't any trees or bushes out in front of us. We do not use the stake like Mike said, we always stick with the fishing line. The stake just doesn't allow for the amount of movement that we personally like, but rest assured it will get the job done just fine.The pecker has been a great decoy for us and allowed us to capture a lot of great footage.Thanks for the great words on the DVD... Glad you liked it.

#7 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:52 PM

I'll be using 50 pound fishing line and the alligator clip like Tim and Mike recommended.When is "Coyote Rage II" coming out?

#8 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 01:40 PM

I think I made my 50 lb fishing line too long because it's getting knotted up. I hope I don't end up hanging myself or breaking my leg! My Mojo bird wasn't working with only two AA batteries. Remember, it takes FOUR AA batteries. For those like me that are old and can't see clearly! I have to laugh at myself when I do the stupid things I do. On initial inspection I could not see it took four AA batteries so I only put two in. Of course, nothing happened. Then I look again and low and behold it holds FOUR AA batteries. I hate getting old. 62 years young in August!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users