6 replies to this topic

#1 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 03:56 PM

Got the call from my brother yesturday that he needed some help. I found a place to stash the kids and headed out to the spot we off road to find that he broke his axle at the end where the spindle conects with the u joint. he finally took my advice and we headed home at 11pm to get some sleep and a fresh start at the repair or extrication. With a little sleep and some daylight we figured it would be better to get some parts and fix it in the field so we dismantled and ran for parts. Here's a picture of the damage.Attached File  1.jpg   23.89KB   32 downloadsAttached File  2.jpg   19.81KB   31 downloads It took us all day and some bloody knuckles but it's back on the road and ready for an alignment.

#2 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 03:57 PM

Here's a picture of the help.Attached File  3.jpg   22.81KB   32 downloads

#3 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 27 March 2010 - 04:03 PM

Way to go bro! I want a big brother too...LOL
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#4 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:36 PM

Glad to see you got him off the trail Ron. I tried to call you when I got back from the range but no answer. Good to see you didn't have to try my suggestion of bracing the damaged side up and 3 wheeling it back to the road. How did that happen anyway? Did he drop the wheel into a rut and try to steer it out? I heard that's how those knuckles snap from one of my offroad forums. I personally try to stay far away from ruts.
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#5 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:53 PM

Mark, he let my other brother drive, who has not off roaded before, and they tryed to straddle that ditch whitch was more than 3 feet deep before we filled it in and when they slipped into the ditch the front end was in the air and he was heavy on the skinny pedal when the front end finaly made contact. That was only one of the bad moves they made, they were the only ones up there and were lucky to get any cell coverage. good thing is that my XJ goes just about everywhere that rubicon goes and I have tested some of my limits getting to where we needed to be to get him out.

#6 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:51 PM

Wow! See, that's why I never let anyone drive my Jeep anymore. I got stuck in a mud wallow in New Mexico with a jeep club and while I ran the winch from the front of the vehicle (instead of climbing back in and steering while using the remote), I let my wife take the wheel. As I was guiding her to her left, she gave that skinny pedal a heavy foot and somehow the jeep caught ground and shot straight forward. Unfortunately for me, I was now in front of my jeep, hanging onto the bumper and being dragged thru the mud till she realized what she'd done and got off the gas. She thought she'd killed me. Good thing for me that there is alot of ground clearance under the front of my jeep or my fat a$$ would've been flattened. It's still a big deal to my wife when my buddies tell her that we was trying to collect on the life insurance policy :roflmao3[1]: . If someone wants to learn how to drive offroad, I tell them to get their own vehicle and I'll show them. Good job today Ron! You're a good guy!!!
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#7 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,739 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 27 March 2010 - 11:08 PM

Glad you got him out . Good thing you know what your doing. Can I have your number incase I ever get stuck out in the woods? :roflmao3[1]: He's lucky he has you for a brother. :signs1180lq:
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users