4 replies to this topic

#1 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 07:19 PM

Ok, so I broke down and got the fore mentioned items. I pop this thing into my Mini 14 and measure this thing and it's so long I can't believe it. The OAL - .020 off the land is 2.006 for 55gr vmax and 2.002 for 70 gr Barnes TSX. The bullet barely seats for the 55grainers. Not to mention they won't even fit in the magazine. So I pull out my NEF Ultra Varmint, these are even longer there is no way to securely seat a bullet at .020 off the lands and have it stay in the case. No way could I seat a lighter bullet, too short. Am I using this thing correctly? What good is this if I can't seat to the chamber. Seems like excessive freebore?WTF?Thanks!

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,356 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 10 August 2006 - 07:25 PM

You're using it right. It seems most factory guns are going that route. You must seat at least the diameter of the bullet into the case neck to be safe. I work up loads to use the bullet manufactures OAL. That way when I find the combo that works it fits in everything. Now if you were working with a custom barrel you'd have more luck using your new equipment.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 03:08 AM

You're using it right. It seems most factory guns are going that route. You must seat at least the diameter of the bullet into the case neck to be safe. I work up loads to use the bullet manufactures OAL. That way when I find the combo that works it fits in everything. Now if you were working with a custom barrel you'd have more luck using your new equipment.

So the C.O.L listed in my Hornady manual is measured from the ogive? I thought it was case end to tip.

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,356 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 11 August 2006 - 07:11 AM

So the C.O.L listed in my Hornady manual is measured from the ogive? I thought it was case end to tip.

It's measured from the tip of the bullet to the base of the case.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 Roger

Roger

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 07:40 PM

Have had the same experience. Sometimes the Stoney Point case will not go all the way into the chamber neck unless you give it a real shove. Tight chamber neck sometimes found in 223 rifles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users