#1 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:23 PM

This morning went up on hill behind my house and weed wacked the weeds/grass down..(my property extends another 80 yards beyond my backyard)...I then sat back with my 850 HPA .177 and waited for the squirrels...ground squirrels like the fresh cut weeds...20 minutes later a squirrel shows up and I got the shot off from 42 yards....squirrel flipped over and died on the spot..( uphill shot from my side yard)..JSB 10.2 GR..Posted Image

#2 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:36 PM

Nice - I got one with a 22 CB a while ago but he danced off.

I'm an airgunholic

#3 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:58 PM

Nice clean shot. It doesn't get much more convenient than that. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#4 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:09 PM

Squirrel was facing me very low to ground....but her head was lined up perfect inside the wire fence opening....got her right between the eyes,,sometimes I have to wait till they clear the wire strands before making the shot....the fence is 30 yards away..I use a step ladder in my side yard for a rest..

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:02 AM

Nice to have targets like that close to home. Great shot and makes up for having to cut the weeds. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#6 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 09:44 AM

i have to be patient...when squirrel appears, I focus/range him...then re-focus scope on wire fence (which is closer) so I can tell squirrel is not blocked by wire strands on fence..then re-focus again on squirrel and take shot..lol..There is a chart available where you can leave your scope on one setting (yardage) and it will work for certain yardages without parallex error..but I mis- placed it somewhere..

#7 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 12:53 PM

Very nice! :good: I wonder if my R9 in .20 cal would put one down at that range? I noticed some ground rats in my backyard this last weekend.. What kind of chow do they like?? :signlol2iu:

#8 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:14 PM

I was at my in-laws a week ago and I was shooting CBs and my father-in-law was shooting his air rifle. The CBs were way quieter than the air rifle. More accurate too.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#9 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:24 PM

I like the smell of powder but I also have my Beeman 22 cal sitting next to the Rossi 22LR. The main reason I use the Rossi more is that the scope is better (a Mueller 4-16 Tactical with Illuminated reticle. The CB has more energy but on squirrels it's tough to tell much difference in knock down power at 30 yards. They are big trouble with either. The CBs are a little quieter.

I'm an airgunholic

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:43 PM

I wonder if my R9 in .20 cal would put one down at that range?

Rick, I've killed tree squirrels at over 40 yards with my .20 R9. I know I'm a great shot but it killed them. :signlol2iu:

Time waits for no one--

#11 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 03:04 PM

My experience is the Beeman is more accurate than CB's - especially the longs. The CBs do better, however, in shorter barrels using the shorts but still aren't quite up to the Beeman with the right pellets. I spoke with CCI on this a couple of years ago and small amount of powder sliding inside especially the bigger long case can affect accuracy, etc on the CB's. The slow velocity in longer barrels can cause inconsistency as well with either short or longs. When I need to hit something every time for sure I use the Beeman. Now standard or high velocity CCI LRs are very accurate on my basement range but too loud outside in my neighborhood.

I'm an airgunholic

#12 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:10 AM

Very nice! :good: I wonder if my R9 in .20 cal would put one down at that range? I noticed some ground rats in my backyard this last weekend.. What kind of chow do they like?? :good:

My R9 DG .22 cal drops em out to 40 yards...but that is about max range I've tried....so your .20 cal should get the job done with somewhat flatter trajectory..I have a Sheridan .20 cal that I shoot 14.3 cylindricals and have nailed squirrels out to 30 yards...Posted ImageRe food: Go to Walmart and get a bag of squirrel food...good mix and attracts them...just drop a handfull on ground near where you seen them...them ambush w em from a good hide...most of the time birds will get to food first..(Just let them feed)...that activity attracts the squirrels.....

#13 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:11 AM

Rick, I've killed tree squirrels at over 40 yards with my .20 R9. I know I'm a great shot but it killed them. :good:

:good: At least you’re not conceded about it :good:

#14 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:13 AM

My R9 DG .22 cal drops em out to 40 yards...but that is about max range I've tried....so your .20 cal should get the job done with somewhat flatter trajectory..I have a Sheridan .20 cal that I shoot 14.3 cylindricals and have nailed squirrels out to 30 yards...Re food: Go to Walmart and get a bag of squirrel food...good mix and attracts them...just drop a handfull on ground near where you seen them...them ambush w em from a good hide...most of the time birds will get to food first..(Just let them feed)...that activity attracts the squirrels.....

Great advice!! Thank you Crazyhorse!! I'm hoping my shots will be 20 to 30 yards! Yahoo! The Spring games have begun!

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:39 AM

:good: At least you’re not conceded about it :good:

I wondered if you'd catch that part. :good:

Time waits for no one--

#16 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:25 AM

What is a CB..?? I use Rem HP's 36 GR 1280 Vel in my Rimfires...blows them away..noise where i hunt no issue..

#17 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:40 AM

A CB, don't you use that to communicate? J/K It's a round that is less than sub sonic rounds.. They will not cycle most rim fire guns.. They are a blast to shoot and crows hate them..

#18 Stan

Stan

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:31 PM

And they work great in my BL22 lever action I love how they are more quiet than an air rifle Attached File  Browning_BL22.jpg   38.28KB   21 downloads

#19 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:02 AM

That's nice shooter Stan!! I have a Winchester lever 22 and it will cycle the CB longs and CB shorts.. Will yours do the shorts?

#20 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 07:14 AM

The BL-22 was my very first non-airgun rifle at 14 (1971). About 10 years ago I had a buddy redo the bluing and replace the stock i'd scratched basically making it a new gun. I need to lighten the trigger. I also have the Henry lever carbine but the Browning is fancier.

I'm an airgunholic

#21 hunting guy

hunting guy

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:40 AM

I like to nail gophers in my back yard with my .177 caliber Daisy(yes, go ahead and laugh at my exspense) pump action pnuematic weapon. It is so fun to see them look at me, sneer with those LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG yellow teeth and then do a full backflip as they let out a high pitched scream. Stupid things have been destroying my lawn.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Ralph Waldo Emerson

#22 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:57 AM

Between the squirrels, chipmunks, and moles, I have a full time ongoing war against backyard terrorists. I bet I take 25 shots a week at them.

I'm an airgunholic

#23 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 01:22 PM

I just made another squirrel dance off in the woods with a 22 CB Short. I may have to check the sights again as the temperature has warmed up here or something.... The fox will get him anywaze...

I'm an airgunholic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users