9 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff213

Jeff213

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:45 AM

I went to wal-mart yesterday and was excited to see that they had 550 federal bulk packs in stock, but they increased the price by $4.00 since last week! this has been a 50% increase in price over the last 3 years, they are now over $20 a box with tax! I still bought 2, but if they hadn't increased the price I would have probably bought 6.

#2 SpotandStalk

SpotandStalk

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Sporting Clays.

Posted 23 March 2010 - 11:22 AM

Ammunition price increases are frustrating. Several years ago, I read an article in Outdoor Life about a lead mine in Australia that was shutting down and the author 'thought" ammo prices would increase based on this large reduction of supply. I'm not sure why I bought into the idea hook-line and sinker, but I ended up shopping around and purchasing well over $1000 worth of ammo in .22lr and various calibers of centerfire. At the time, I didn't realize how happy I would be using ammo like Hornady VMax in .204 for $9.99 a box or Winchester Fail Safe in .270 for $16.99. Provided a national lead ban doesn't come into effect...I won't have to purchse over priced ammo for years.SnS
"Would you vote for a woman as unqualified as Barack Obama?" -Hillary Clinton-"The best thing about the cash for clunkers program was it got thousands of the Obama stickers off the streets.""Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of congress. But I repeat myself." -Mark Twain-

#3 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,082 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:49 PM

In Turlock they are 18.00 but still cheaper than a gun shop.They use to be 14.00 at Wal-mart last year I think.I bought 2 550 yesterday I should have bought more.

#4 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:48 PM

Same here, it went up from 14 and change to 18 and change, the funny thing is they couldn't keep it on the shelf before and now it seems they have no problem keeping the shelf fully stocked. It is still cheaper than ordering it bulk from Cabelas.

#5 Gunorea

Gunorea

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:19 AM

Here's a pic from a local WM last night.Posted ImageLooks like the 555 bricks went up to $19.47. The 550's are now $18.97. The best values currently there are the 375 bricks for $11.47 and the Federal Lightning 50 round packs for $1.47 when you can find them.

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,699 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:30 AM

I wonder how the ammunition manufactures can justify these sorts of price increases? They must use the same formula to calculate increases as the oil companies do. I see where the oil spill in Louisiana will be raising our gas prices even though the amount lost is minuscule. I'm not lessening the impact on our southern states resources but it's just another reason to gouge us. If it wasn't this the oil companies would just have to take a refinery offline somewhere to increase their prices. :smiley_green_with_envy:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#7 Dutchman

Dutchman

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:10 PM

I have a feeling that all lead will be banned soon, even for plinking. I just bought 5 boxes of the fed 550 pack. I'll buy boxes as I see them pop up and jest keep socking it away.

#8 Revolver Ocelet

Revolver Ocelet

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:46 PM

The 50rd boxes of Federal lightning at walmart are still 41.47 I think which equals $14.70 a brick plus tax per 500. Probably the best deal going.

#9 Gunorea

Gunorea

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:16 AM

And some WM's have removed the 6 box limit so a brick of Federal Lightning only comes out to $15.99 in the I.E.

#10 airgunny

airgunny

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 04:45 PM

i was in martin b. retting in culver city last weekend. the counterguy said that ammo prices have a lot to do with the u.s. as well as foreigncompanies who manufacture the raw materials to make the componentslead/brass/powder etc. i'm sure politics are involved as far aswho charges what to make what. it sucks. i remember the daysof $8 boxes of .45acp and $5 boxes of .308 target ammo.for how i like to play "machine gun" in the deserti'd need $500 for an afternoon of powder burnin.that's why i'm an avid airgunner now (eyes roll).
weapons are nothing but tools to be used properly. like any other tool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users