25 replies to this topic

#1 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:36 AM

A friend wants to buy a tactical 308 for a mix of target shooting and hunting. This is his one shot at buying his dream rifle and he has $1500 to spend, maybe a bit more. He wants a (black) composite stock and probably matte black metal. He's not particularly interested doing anything that requires a gunsmith except possibly a trigger if required. What would you recommend? Also, how about a scope?

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,028 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:47 AM

And you want a scope to fit in that price too? :P Tell him to buy a Savage then. :)

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:20 AM

Nope. He has $1500 for the rifle alone, and about $500 for the scope or more if he spends less on the rifle. He's considering a Super Sniper 10x scope but that may be too high for hunting... Otherwise he's thinking a VXIII Leupold maybe 4-14x.He can easily do it with a lightly customized Rem700 PSS or Savage 10FP LE or similar. Maybe add a tactical bolt knob, bi-pod, possibly a trigger depending on which rifle he gets, maybe a less expensive model rifle with an aftermarket stock of his choice, etc. Any other ideas?

#4 joel1316

joel1316

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:51 AM

I vote for a 700PSS :lol:Here is mines..... Bone stock with a Leupold 6-24X40 with Leupold Base and rings.

#5 mrkubota

mrkubota

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:firearms/shooting, flying, music:<br />http://music.download.com/stratusgospel

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:58 AM

Nope. He has $1500 for the rifle alone, and about $500 for the scope or more if he spends less on the rifle. He's considering a Super Sniper 10x scope but that may be too high for hunting... Otherwise he's thinking a VXIII Leupold maybe 4-14x.He can easily do it with a lightly customized Rem700 PSS or Savage 10FP LE or similar. Maybe add a tactical bolt knob, bi-pod, possibly a trigger depending on which rifle he gets, maybe a less expensive model rifle with an aftermarket stock of his choice, etc. Any other ideas?

I picked up the PSS and a used Leupold VXIII-6.5-20 mil-dot for Big Jon's birthday last year.It was well within that budget (including the Duracoat camo kit too). He has talked about changing to a bigger bolt knob, and added a Harris bipod himself.He's getting to be a pretty good shot with it too!Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 Jason

Jason

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, camping, scuba diving, American Revolution living history, fishing, ham radio.

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:02 AM

And you want a scope to fit in that price too? :P Tell him to buy a Savage then. :)

I have to agree. If I had two grand to spend on a tactical rifle and scope I would go with the savage tactical and get the best scope I could with the left over funds. Any left over money I would use to get the bi-pod and any reloading stuff I needed. That Savage tacticle is a sweet rifle and the additional funds to use on the glass would definitely be worth it.Jason

#7 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:36 PM

I vote the same as Jason ... man I love spending other peoples money!!

#8 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Anything Archery and of course my 22-250 vs. coyotes..

Posted 09 August 2006 - 06:06 PM

I vote the same as Jason ... man I love spending other peoples money!!

$1500??? I can get a really good custom built rifle here in town by my Gunsmith. And it sure wouldn't be a .308 :)
Tim LewisFoxPro Prostaff

#9 savageHMR

savageHMR

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:target shooting, varmint hunting, boating, fishing, horses..

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:27 PM

I vote for the 700 PSS also. I have one bone stock just like Joel's and here are three out of five 300yd groups that I fired on the third day after getting it. These three groups were all shot with Federal GMM 175g factory ammo. The target grids are 1" grid squares.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageIn my case, I bought the rifle off of a classified ad on RimfireCentral for $375 and then put a Bushnell Elite 4200 8-32x40 scope for another $400+.I'm happy! :) Scott

#10 .204 Sniper

.204 Sniper

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Control - ALL OF 'EM!

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:38 PM

I also strongly recommend the 700 PSS. I had one with a Jewel trigger installed and won a couple of 600 yard matches with handloads.The 20" model with flutes is a sweet rifle. Alot of guys like the longer barrels, but it has been my experience that a shorter barrel proves to be more accurate. It's stiffer, has better harmonics (vibrational wavelength) and you only lose a couple of hundred feet per second. The bullet also exits faster so there is less room for error (smiliar to lock time). It is also more pleasant to carry in the field.You can get a match trigger that drops in for about $120.Don't short yourself on mounting systems! Buy a Badger Ordnance Maximized 20MOA Picatinny rail and Badger Ordnance Maximized rings. It's about $300 for both.I would mount the new Leupold VXL 56mm. If you want to target shoot/ hunt - go with the 4-14. If you want to varmint shoot and bench shoot, go with the 6.5-20. I like the Boone & Crockett reticle.http://www.leupold.c.../vx-l/main.html

#11 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 12 August 2006 - 06:38 AM

OK, I have a question. What makes a bolt action rifle a "Tactical Rifle" instead of a "Varmint Rifle"? <_< Is it just a black stock?A17Shooter

#12 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 12 August 2006 - 07:11 AM

Good question Gary. Type of target, weight, stock, Heck I don't know. Where's ShooterJohn when you need him? <_<
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#13 capitol

capitol

Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 07:38 AM

OK, I have a question. What makes a bolt action rifle a "Tactical Rifle" instead of a "Varmint Rifle"? <_< Is it just a black stock?A17Shooter

The stocks on the REM 700 PSS and LTR rifles are different then the Rem varmint rifles. The pss models have more of a hand swell in the stock and the ltr stocks are slimmed down. I beleive they are bedded different too.I have a LTR 308 and I get 1 inch groups at 200 yards with it. These rifles seem to love Federal Gold Match 168 grain. At least mine does.
Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

#14 Steve C

Steve C

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, family, church, bass guitar

Posted 12 August 2006 - 08:30 AM

Mornin folks. I'm way too new to the board to disagree with anyone - so please keep that in mind. It's to dang hot for flaming. :-)Just a couple of thoughts (and they may not work for Stiff Neck's buddy. First, don't forget the used stuff on the various long-rang and benchrest boards. I've not looked lately, but seen lots of tac-types for sale.Second, i'm reading the book "Precision Shooting at 1,000 Yards" by Dave Brennan. In the chapter on 1000 yrd millitary sniping they really take the .308 to task, giving the .30-06 a better nod and expressing interest in the 6.5-284. The 6.5-284 might be out due to reloading, but the -06 might be good to look into?It IS fun playing with someone elses money!!!steve

#15 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 12 August 2006 - 12:07 PM

Second, i'm reading the book "Precision Shooting at 1,000 Yards" by Dave Brennan. In the chapter on 1000 yrd millitary sniping they really take the .308 to task, giving the .30-06 a better nod and expressing interest in the 6.5-284. The 6.5-284 might be out due to reloading, but the -06 might be good to look into?It IS fun playing with someone elses money!!!steve

For really long shooting the 308 has a velocity problem. It will only launch the Sierra 190 MK at a squeak over 2600 fps. How do you cure that? I would cure it with a larger case, like the 300 Win Mag. The 300 Win Mag is the winner of many 1000 yd matches and has been used by the US armed forces as a long range sniper (tactical) weapon. I have also been impressed with the ability of the 300 RUM (custom) at extended ranges on small targets. A17Shooter

#16 .204 Sniper

.204 Sniper

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Control - ALL OF 'EM!

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:33 PM

For really long shooting the 308 has a velocity problem. It will only launch the Sierra 190 MK at a squeak over 2600 fps. How do you cure that? I would cure it with a larger case, like the 300 Win Mag. The 300 Win Mag is the winner of many 1000 yd matches and has been used by the US armed forces as a long range sniper (tactical) weapon. I have also been impressed with the ability of the 300 RUM (custom) at extended ranges on small targets. A17Shooter

Well, if your going there.................... <_< ................I had a Remington Sendero in .300 Rem. Ultra Magnum. My best loads were with a 168gr Nosler J4 in front of 104gr Retumbo. It also liked the 180 Nosler Accubonds. I got 3800 fps with a 150gr ballistic tip (That will rip a 'yote in half!).I sold mine to buy my son a dirt bike. It weighed around 13 lbs and wore a Springfield Armory 6-20x56 Gov Mil Dot scope.I had a Limbsaver Ultra recoil pad installed, along with with a Baker muzzle brake. This rifle kicked less than my .308 with a Decelerator pad! You could watch the .300 RUM's impact @ 200 yards. It was REALLY loud though. I used to clear two benches on each side of me at the range.

#17 vmthtr in green bay

vmthtr in green bay

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 August 2006 - 03:34 AM

The stocks on the REM 700 PSS and LTR rifles are different then the Rem varmint rifles. The pss models have more of a hand swell in the stock and the ltr stocks are slimmed down. I beleive they are bedded different too.I have a LTR 308 and I get 1 inch groups at 200 yards with it. These rifles seem to love Federal Gold Match 168 grain. At least mine does.

My friend got one of the limited run stainless LTR's in 308 and that is a sweet little rifle. He has yet to fire it, still saving for glass. He paid $720 for it. Then take the left over money and get a used Nightforce.Mike

#18 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 08:53 PM

Stiff Neck,Let us know what your friend decides. Inquiring minds want to know all the kinky details :lol: about what he buys, how it works and so on. Does he get a 308 ? I hope he doesn't wait a year or two to buy this rifle & scope. :lol: A17Shooter

#19 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,028 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 09:05 PM

I think Stiff Neck has left us for that other website. He hasn't checked in here in nine days. That's too bad. :lol:

Time waits for no one--

#20 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 09:09 PM

He doesn't know what he is missing!!

#21 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 10:27 PM

Yea I always enjoyed Ben's posts with the great photos and videos etc. What was that old TV series that most of you younguns won't remember. I think it was "Car 54 Where are YOU?"

#22 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,028 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 10:32 PM

I think it was "Car 54 Where are YOU?"

Gunther Toody: Joe E. Ross Francis Muldoon: Fred Gwynne Dumb comedy but I liked it. Early 60's ;)

Time waits for no one--

#23 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 10:37 PM

Yea but you're old like me. No fair.

#24 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 02:54 PM

I'm on vacation out of state. Don't worry, I went hunting, and I have pics... My buddy is currently researching his purchase and is waiting until I get back for my final nod of approval. It's gonna be the tactical Savage or the second choice is a PSS. We'll see.

#25 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,777 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 01:54 AM

Would this qualify as a tactical rifle?Nighthawk from NorCal PrecisionJust thought I'd ask. :D :lol: A17Shooter

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#26 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 09:09 AM

Ok, he's decided on a Remington 700 PSS. Still no decision on what scope yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users