• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 powderedtoastman

powderedtoastman

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Snowshoeing, backpacking, target shooting, off-roading, hunting(varmint, predator, big game), just about anything in the outdoors!

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:37 PM

I thought I'd post up a pic of my 20" BB AR in 5.56. I had an aim sports 10-40x50 on it, but have since sold it and can't decide what scope I want!!!Posted Image
"Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state government, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people" (Tench Coxe, Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788)

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,048 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:00 PM

Very nice, needs a nice Nightforce on it. B)

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 05:40 AM

Very nice, what is a BB ar??
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#4 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:00 AM

AR with a Bullet Button.

#5 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:52 AM

Now that's a shooter!! Nice job!

#6 powderedtoastman

powderedtoastman

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Snowshoeing, backpacking, target shooting, off-roading, hunting(varmint, predator, big game), just about anything in the outdoors!

Posted 19 March 2010 - 09:17 AM

Tough decisions! I definitely like the nightforce scopes, and I checked out a leupold like dabob has on his predator pursuit AR . . . . It'll come to me eventually! And thanks guys, it's pretty heavy to hump around all day, but shoots 1/2moa with Hornady 55 spire points, and 22.5 grains of H322
"Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state government, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people" (Tench Coxe, Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788)

#7 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:46 AM

I really like my Leupold on my AR Varmint Slayer! 20 grns IMR-4198 55 grn Vmax.. 350 yard hit.. Attached File  1.jpg   31.64KB   31 downloads

#8 powderedtoastman

powderedtoastman

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 03:11 PM

THAT's what I'm talkin about camoghost!!!

#9 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:16 AM

Very nice shooting
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#10 bruce_ventura

bruce_ventura

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Camping, hunting, shooting, optics, scuba, boating.

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:53 PM

Powderedtoastman, what does your rifle weigh without the bipod, sling, magazine and sights? How's the balance?I have a similar set-up from white oak armament, but with a 24" barrel. My rifle weighs 10 lb 4 oz and is not balanced well at all (what was I thinking?). I'm thinking of cutting the barrel down to 20" like yours and having it fluted under the handguard. That would only save about 0.87 lb, so I really wonder if it's worth the effort.
___________NRA Member

#11 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Hunting i.e. deer, varmints, yotes. Target Shooting, Trap Shooting.

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:05 AM

I really like my Leupold on my AR Varmint Slayer! 20 grns IMR-4198 55 grn Vmax.. 350 yard hit.. Attached File  1.jpg   31.64KB   31 downloads

Shocking, just plain shocking......... :lol: Great shot Rick!Bob
Posted ImagePosted ImageNRA Member

#12 powderedtoastman

powderedtoastman

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:14 AM

Bruce, I will weigh it this evening and get back to you. I'm also thinking of fluting it under the handguard. It's almost 1 inch diameter under there, yikes!!!

#13 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:31 AM

Did you decide on the optics yet?

#14 powderedtoastman

powderedtoastman

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 03:27 PM

Man I'm still having an aneurism trying to decide what scope I'll put on it. I looked at a nice Trijicon 2.5-10x accupoint at Cabelas last month, and a super clear Leupold VX-3 in 3.5-10x. Both were sweet, and the Leupold has a much easier price tag. As for the weight Bruce, without the mag, sling, bipod, and scope it's just about 7.5 pounds. I almost went with a 24 incher, but if I remember correctly the whole upper with scope I looked at weighed more than my entire 16" Carbine!! The balance is a little heavy forward, but very manageable for me, and I'm not a huge guy. Thankfully that sling is really comfortable to carry all day, even though it's pretty narrow.

#15 bruce_ventura

bruce_ventura

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Camping, hunting, shooting, optics, scuba, boating.

Posted 26 March 2010 - 03:28 PM

As for the weight Bruce, without the mag, sling, bipod, and scope it's just about 7.5 pounds. I almost went with a 24 incher, but if I remember correctly the whole upper with scope I looked at weighed more than my entire 16" Carbine!! The balance is a little heavy forward, but very manageable for me, and I'm not a huge guy. Thankfully that sling is really comfortable to carry all day, even though it's pretty narrow.

That's a lot lighter than your typical 20' bull barrel upper. Who makes it?Bruce
___________NRA Member

#16 Marino

Marino

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:20 PM

How did you spot it at 350 yrds.?

#17 powderedtoastman

powderedtoastman

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:06 AM

I bought it from Dynamic Armament. It's a CMT receiver, wilson arms barrel, and I added the YHM free-float handguard. The standard forend is just a round aluminum tube, which was ~ 1/2 pound lighter. For how inexpensive it is, it's been a great shooter for me. They guarantee 1/2 moa accuracy, which is what I experienced, even with that cheapo AIM scope on it!

#18 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:37 AM

1/2 moa is hard to beat :two-cents: .. What trigger do you have in it?

#19 powderedtoastman

powderedtoastman

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:33 AM

It's a 4 lb chip mccormick. I had a two stage RRA lpk in it, which was fine for anything to 300 yards, but the CMC is soooooo much sweeter

#20 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:58 AM

Check out our Hawke Sidewinder Tactical scopes. I have one on my 223 AR, on my 6.5 Grendel and my 25-06 Tikka.....another Hawke Tactical with SR6 ballistic reticle soon to be on my new Savage Predator Max 1. My customers on this forum can vouch for their quality. In the recent Varmint Hunter magazine, there is a scope comparison of the Holland/Leupold, the Bushnell Elite 6500 and the Hawke Frontier. The Holland/Leupold was about $1,500, the Bushy was $950 and the Hawke was about $600. The Hawke got very good reviews and tracked better than the Bushy when shooting the square for repeatibility. The reviewer was quite pleased with the Hawke glass as it was up against much more expensive scopes. I guarantee you will be impressed and for about $400.00 for a 4-16 X 50, they are incredible.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#21 powderedtoastman

powderedtoastman

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 06:30 PM

Thanks Desert Dog. Is there anywhere I can go to handle one?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users