9 replies to this topic

#1 gotsch

gotsch

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:26 AM

I've been fishing all my life mainly for trout using power bait and in the last couple of years mainly in the delta. My dad lives up in redding and i am getting him a down rigger for his aluminum boat that should be here today. So, all the fishing that we both have done all our lives, niether one of us has ever used a downrigger. (The one i got has a 100' of cable and it's just a basic one that you can mount to the side of a boat). If you care to share some info, what some good ideas for that lake, he said on the fish finder that they are all 80' to 120' deep, but now knowing anything about these, what are some of the basics??? how far should the rig tail behind the wieght? what's good pound test to use? what's a commonly succesful lure? and so on....thankyou all!

#2 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:57 AM

Right now I would guess that Shasta fishing would be good topwater trolling as are most of the NorCal lakes. Usually as the water warms the fish will move down the water column and downriggers are needed. I like Excel lures in shad patterns 50' behind the wire. 10# line is fine unless you are fishing for Kokanee then ultralight rods with light line. There are some good forums on fishing and lots of information on Shasta, Whiskeytown, and Trinity Lakes up there. Shasta in a small aluminum boat can get real hairy so be safe. Good Luck

#3 Hipshot Percussion

Hipshot Percussion

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Bird Hunting- pheasant, Quail
    Bird dog training (two Brittany's)

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:05 AM

Contact Shasta Tackle http://shastatackle.com/ they specialize in this type of fishing and will point you in the right direction. They are featured on Angler West TV and do this type of fishing on the show all the time.

#4 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:50 AM

Also, you can go into most any of the tackle shops or marinas up there and ask and get a wealth of information.

#5 gotsch

gotsch

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:54 PM

thankyou all!bzzrd~ why would you use ultra light tackle for the kokanee??? would have never thought that...

#6 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:38 PM

They have a very soft mouth and don't get very big. An 18" Koke is huge. They are very good eating and fun to catch on light gear. Cheers

#7 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:22 PM

When I lived in Redding there were some guys in at Phil's Propellers that were always very helpful and knowledgeable about fishing Shasta. Phil's prop shop is located on the north end of town right off of I-5 on east side of the road. Of course, you had to buy some fancy lure because it was the 'only' thing that would catch fish at that time... B) but we did very well usually.

#8 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 07:04 PM

When I lived in Redding there were some guys in at Phil's Propellers that were always very helpful and knowledgeable about fishing Shasta. Phil's prop shop is located on the north end of town right off of I-5 on east side of the road. Of course, you had to buy some fancy lure because it was the 'only' thing that would catch fish at that time... B) but we did very well usually.

+1 Phils a good guy. I don't fish but I used to work at the marina that he keeps his houseboat at and I would talk to him often.

#9 gotsch

gotsch

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:41 AM

Out of all the angler west episodes that I've watched the only thing the mention for Koke's and trount is the dodger and the hoochie...growing up we used Kastmaster alot, panther martin's, and rooster tails, is the whole "Dodger/koke" thing a selling point for Shasta tackle or is it just that great?? What about the down rigger with a set of Dave's flashers and a gold kastmaster on it? You guys are being Extremely helpful!

#10 stephen722

stephen722

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 01:17 AM

When I lived in Redding there were some guys in at Phil's Propellers that were always very helpful and knowledgeable about fishing Shasta. Phil's prop shop is located on the north end of town right off of I-5 on east side of the road. Of course, you had to buy some fancy lure because it was the 'only' thing that would catch fish at that time... :) but we did very well usually.

yea talk to tony at phills he will know what they are bitting, they use stuff like cripple lure and koconuts. early in the year, befor water warms you can catch um 10 or 20 feet deep on most any minnow plug, care full of the islands with that down rigger, I've found lots of the weights and line on them when the water drops, and pink ladies and deep sixes, have fun stephen :signgreatreport3kg:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users