Photo

What is your favorite shot made on a CGS?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DownRangeImpact

DownRangeImpact

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:33 AM

I always recall this one shot I made on a CGS that I'll always remember. And when my brother and I talk airgun hunting with some uninitiated "gun hunter" that one shot always comes up. And by the way, I could never count up all the CGS's I've taken with my airguns over the 30-plus years I've hunted 'em.But that one shot . . .What is your best one shot one downed squirrel memory?

#2 acousticmood

acousticmood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:52 AM

I'm going to have to say that it will surely be my next one!

#3 Marino

Marino

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:32 PM

Friend of mine is loaning me his range finder for my last squirrel, 2 days ago. I believe it to be 140+ yards, slight wind. Crawled up and down a fence post, that is what drew my attention. Missed the first shot, adjusted, death roll on the next shot. .25 Sumatra, 30g Kodiak.

#4 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:59 PM

No wind...70 yards...with an 850 CO2 .177 shooting JSB 8.4 gr....I've had longer shots with my PCP's, but that CO2 .177 kill still is tops in my experiences...Red circle was shooting position..Posted Image

#5 VarmintAir

VarmintAir

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 03:22 PM

I've taken a few doubles over the years, and each one of those is remembered like it was just yesterday. The opportunities for a double don't seem to come along very often, but when it does, and you make the shot, it's a very memorable occasion. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:
VarmintAir WebsiteAirgun Hunting the California Ground SquirrelVarmintAir's Airgun Hunting BlogDevoted to the sport of responsible varmint and small game hunting with Modern Adult Airguns

#6 DownRangeImpact

DownRangeImpact

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:31 AM

These are tough animals. They can make it to their holes on just the last impulse to their brain, even when "shot dead."My brother and I were hunting the baseball fields in our town, and time after time as we drove up the road to the fields there was this huge male GS that sat on a pile of twisted chain link fencing that he and his pals caused to crumble. It was on an embankment that fenced off a creek. Week after week we would stalk this squirrel and he would be gone as soon as he saw a motion. FINALLY, one day as we were leaving the park and locking that gate behind us, my brother noticed him sitting with his back to us looking out towards the strawberry fields across the creek. The sun was behind him and there was a slight breeze blowing towards him as well. I was riding shotgun and my brother alerted me to the big GS. Since a huge plants nursery was across the street from him, our smells were not a concern. And cars came and went throughout the week.I had an RWS model 34 in .177 with iron sights that day as we wre doing some rather close in hunting along the stands at the PONY field. Since we had basically closed up shop and packed up everything, the only pellets available to me were Beeman Bearcubs. But, I had sized them and worked the skirts on this bunch of pellets and they were working well in the 34. Very well indeed. My bro turned off the engine and we coasted down the road about twenty yards to about 50-yards away from the GS. I wasn't taking any chances and I chambered a pellet and stood outside the truck and brought the iron-sights up just about on his shoulder blades. Pwup!The squirrel remained looking out at the field. Not a motion from it.I couldn't believe I had missed, and I reached for another pellet.My brother said: "You hit him square, he's done.""What? He's still sitting there,"I said. My brother said, "You won't need another shot." I waited and waited and the GS never moved. I walked quietly towards him. No motion at all. As I got to within 25-yards, I saw his legs hanging down through the fencing. The pellet had hit him in the back, just at the lower right side of his ribs and exited out the left side of his collar bone/throat area. It hit just about every major organ it could. I have made many, many, many one-shot, one downed, in my time, but that one GS still is the story we tell.

#7 Marino

Marino

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:34 PM

Friend of mine is loaning me his range finder for my last squirrel, 2 days ago. I believe it to be 140+ yards, slight wind. Crawled up and down a fence post, that is what drew my attention. Missed the first shot, adjusted, death roll on the next shot. .25 Sumatra, 30g Kodiak.

With Leopold rangefinder a confirmed 142 yrds. Nothing like walking out your back door and having space and game to shoot. Anything within 60 yrds. I refuse to shoot. I learned from last year. Season ended early. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users