• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:04 PM

I purchased a used 11-87 turkey gun (21" barrel) at is supposedly less than 5 years old that handles 2-3/4 and 3" shells for hunting coyotes in the woods and some spring turkey hunting in April. I know these guns can be problematic but I have a local gunsmith that says he could fix it if it has any problems so I bought it anyways for $450. It looks like it has not had more than a box or so of shells through it and is in otherwise excellent condition. I first tried some 2-3/4 Sellier and Bellot #4 buckshoot through it. It would not cycle, I took it apart and cleaned it well and checked the gas ports and reassembled. I then purchased some Remington 3" OO buck and some 3" #4 high brass shells. Both of these cycle like clockwork. Is it a problem that the 2-3/4" lighter stuff doesn't normally work? Is this common with 11-87s?Thanks In Advance,Brant

I'm an airgunholic

#2 trn2kill

trn2kill

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:21 PM

Hey i to have a 11-87 that after a few years now im having that problem with some rounds even after replacing the gas tube O rings still every once in a while the 3rd shell docent chamber. i think its a 11-87 thing
Wither it has two legs or four it makes for a great target.USMC Semper Fidelis

#3 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:22 AM

The 2 3/4" doesn't cycle well. Have your gunsmith friend look at the gas system and make sure it is all put together correctly. Or look up the manual and see for yourself if it is installed correctly. There is a collar (the technical name of it is escaping me) that can be installed only one way when shooting 2 3/4" shells that will help increase pressure so it will cycle better. Also, I keep this collar in no matter what I'm shooting. After shooting a few boxes of 3" shells, mine cycled much better. And contrary to popular belief, mine shoots better when a little bit dirty. I contemplated selling mine awhile ago when it wouldn't cycle, but now it's my "go to" duck gun.Good luck with it.
Sacramento Skull Works ...on Facebook!
Using Dermestid beetles to produce museum quality skulls for your trophy collection.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

#4 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:50 AM

I gave my gun smith the gas piston assembly config over the phone and he says it is correct. There is also a label under the foregrip and it matches the right direction, etc. I got it to feed the 2-3/4" shells after cleaning and oiling the piston assembly but they are definitely light compared to shooting the 3" magnums so I'll stick with them. It's as fast as you can pull the trigger with them. I'll test on Friday when we do some coyote calling in the woods. What shot size are you guys using for yotes? In 3" I only found #4 and 00 buck at Walmart. There are 15 - 00 pellets in the 3" shells so I'll try that since the shots are less than 30 yds.

I'm an airgunholic

#5 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 20 March 2010 - 01:27 PM

Alot of ammo makers are making low recoil buckshot loads for home defence purposes now. Chances are the loads you fired just didn't have the poop to make the gun cycle properly. In my 870 turkey gun I've got really nice patterns with the remington three inch, buffered, Lead, #4 buck load and the remington superfull turkey choke.
My guns are mine, they aren't for sale, and I only give guns to people that I really like. So I guess the government is **** out of luck.

#6 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:21 PM

I have an 11/87 that was bought 10+ years ago and has cycled 2 3/4" and 3" shells wihout a single issue. It's shot a ton of clay birds with low brass. low powered loads up through 3" magnum slug loads..
Frank
One rifle, one planet. Holland's 375
Posted Image

#7 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:33 PM

I found out the gun has less than a dozen shots through it so it isn't even broke in. I fired a dozen 3" mags and now it seems to feed the 2-3/4" shells so far. The guy took a huge financial hit on the gun because he decided to buy a Browning instead.

I'm an airgunholic

#8 motorwerks

motorwerks

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 07:12 PM

Hey i to have a 11-87 that after a few years now im having that problem with some rounds even after replacing the gas tube O rings still every once in a while the 3rd shell docent chamber. i think its a 11-87 thing

Like he said start with the O Ring, they are about 5 bucks each but buy a 3 pack anyhow. I was having the same problem and even tried a Remington repair center that I have here in town with no luck, they said it was cycling but it was a month or two before I could check it out so I said forget it and went about it myself. I pulled it all apart and went back to basics. I remembered how it used to fire EXTREMELY well when I first got it and how I didn't know anything about maintenance so I tore it all the way down and basically ran most of it with just a little bit of oil vs the ton of oil I oil my AR's and 1911 with. It ran a little better but I was about to throw an 18 inch barrel on it for 3-gun and home defense type stuff so I wanted it MUCH better then a little better...... Threw in the new O ring and now even with the shorter barrel and light loads its at about 99.9% the .01% was just once when it didn't lock back on the last round out of about 2 cases of garbage target rounds. And since I love showing off my gun and know how Forums LOVE pictures.....Posted ImagePosted Imagesorry to jack your thread with my pictures. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:PS my gun was born in the 80's and has had its butt handed to it more then a few times.

#9 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:12 AM

Nice. I picked up the O-rings now I just need to find some time to test it at the range.

I'm an airgunholic

#10 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 05:18 PM

Update on my 1187. We had a Remington rep at one of my local gun stores so I brought my gun and he knew right away that the barrel gas ports on my original barrel requires 3-3/4 dr powder min w/ high brass shells either 2 3/4" or higher loads and preferably 3". He showed me another newer deer barrel with the rifled choke and rifle sights. The two gas ports were ever so slightly larger diameter. He said it would shoot the min 2-3/4" shells. When he offered it for $150 (regularly $240+ or so) I took him up on it. I tested it today with every 2-3/4" load I had and it chambered them just fine. Even the powder puff loads. I put my full turkey choke in the new barrel and am good to go for trap at my range with the cheap shells. The O-rings/piston had nothing to do with this issue. He recommended, though, I use the other barrel for heavy 3" loads rather than the new barrel, even though it says it is good for both loads on the side of the barrel, to be easier on the gun.I picked up an improved cyl choke for the trap shooting and #8 1-1/8 shells for $49/case.

I'm an airgunholic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users