• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Alec

Alec

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Deer, Pheasant, Turkey & other hunting, Fishing Shooting Squirrels, hand loading, bench shooting

Posted 11 March 2010 - 10:34 AM

I was checking out the Johnny Stewart Power Amp. I called Hunter Specialties and talked to the guy about the unit. He said it would double the volume of any e-caller including the PM-4 I have. It weighs a couple pounds, and their on ebay for about $90-. I'm thinking that I could ,maybe double the distance inwhich preditors could hear me. Has anyone used these or heard any stories ? Alec

#2 GVOllie

GVOllie

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:37 PM

No, but I've seen what repeatedly happened to Tim Allen in his never-ending quest for "more power".

#3 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 11 March 2010 - 03:10 PM

If you are halfway handy around DC power and stereo stuff, this kit will save you lots of bucks 20 Watt Amp KitAttached File  AMP.jpg   33.47KB   37 downloads20W Bridged Audio Amplifier• Supply voltage: 12 to 18V DC / 2A• Based on two TDA2003 Integrated Circuits• Input sensitivity: 100mV / 47K Ohm• Output power using 18V DC supply:Music power: > 22W / 4 OhmRMS power: 16W / 4 Ohm or 12W / 8 Ohm• Frequency response: 30Hz to 20KHz (-3dB)• Includes two gold-anodized heat sinks• Includes volume controlBuy it assembled, put it in a little enclosure, attach your battery pack, rig "audio in" and "audio out" cables and you are ready to rock for well under $50.00. Oh, and the Johnny Stewart model is only a 10-Watt amp. I could not find any frequency response specs on it but I will bet you the Canada Kits amp has much better specifications. I built an e-caller using this amp and it works very well.There are only three connections to make. Pos & neg power, audio in and audio out. all posts are clearly marked on the circuit board. Simple as pie. A great unit, not junk. This amp will blow that little Johnny Stewart unit away.

#4 Alec

Alec

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Deer, Pheasant, Turkey & other hunting, Fishing Shooting Squirrels, hand loading, bench shooting

Posted 11 March 2010 - 04:12 PM

The idea of twice the watts ofcourse is very appealing. Can the Johnny Stewart speaker handel 20 watts. And their unit does come with a 12 volt led/acid battery, a wall plug in (120v ac ) charger, and a cigerette lighter plug in charger, its in a housing set up to take into the field. Please tell me more about your set up, and if the usage of an amp will reach out a lot farther. Also Do you hunt a stand with out one first and the add the amp after 20 minutes and all close in predetors have been called to?Thanks Alec

#5 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:18 PM

OK, the speaker should handle the wattage. Batteries, wall charger, etc. and other supplies can be purchased here All ElectronicsThe real benefit you will reap is not having to crank the 20 Watt amp to max power. Amplifiers boost sound but other "noise" is also introduced in the process. That is why when looking at an amplifier's specs, you'll see a "signal to noise" ratio. Just out of curiosity, I sent an e-mail to Hunter Specialties and requested the specifications of the Johnny Stewart amp. I'll bet you they won't send them to me. I have a feeling it is a very inexpensive amp that would not begin to compare with the specs of the amp I sent you. Just a wild hair guess on my part but I am confident of my assumption. If you want "clean" sound, go with the Canada Kits amp.Hey, I am a born tinkerer. I lo0ve to build my own stuff, save money and have a better product. Some guys like that kind of thing and some guys are much more comfortable buying something off the shelf. If you are not comfortable with that sort of project, buy the JS model and go have some fun. Your present equipment will work just fine. Here is what I would do. Start you stand with your electronic caller, calling with low volume for a few minutes and then shut down for a few minutes. If something is close by, it will come in. They hear very well. Then, you can crank your caller up a little more and try again. If you are certain that nothing is close by, do some loud death screams on a mouth call for about 30-seconds, then shut down. Then go back to your electronic caller. I often combine mouth and electronic calls. You probably don't need an amp at all.Just my free opinion and worth every penny.... :roflmao3[1]:.LOL

#6 Alec

Alec

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 11:18 AM

Thanks, I will try the combo. Alec

#7 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 04:32 PM

Pretty soon all the coyotes will be Hard of hearing,Don't need a boom box!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users