8 replies to this topic

#1 hunting guy

hunting guy

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 03:22 PM

Well, I've decided its time to get some quality binoculars for hunting. I am getting a Vortex Diamondback scope for my new rifle and I am searching for some nice binoculars. I have looked at glass in the $300 range and discovered what look to be two great pairs. Vortex Fury 10x42 and Nikon Monarch 10x42. Which would be the clearest and best pair for hunting in the wide, open West? The Vortex has a nice warranty, but I'd rather have a good pair for a long time than a bad pair with the assurance I can replace it. Nikon has a nice warranty too, but I can't decide.
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Ralph Waldo Emerson

#2 JimC

JimC

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, shooting air rifles, ground squirrels and ducks

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:49 AM

.......Which would be the clearest and best pair for hunting in the wide, open West?

I've never used the Vortex Binos, but I own the Nikon Monarch 8x42's. I couldn't be happier. For the money I don't think you can find better glass. Every one who uses my Nikons remarks on their brightness and clarity. This is the one optic that I own that I never have never considered upgrading. I don't think you would be dissapointed with the NikonsJim in Sacramento

#3 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 10:24 AM

Nikon or Steiners for Binos!!!Steiner Predator Pro 12x42 Binos just rock!Darren
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; - Psalms 144:1
Fellow Team Savage member and Team Ruger! Semper Fidelis!
NRA Certified Instructor / Multi-state CCW Instructor

#4 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 10 March 2010 - 11:50 AM

Check out this review of Hawke binos Hawke Review"The view through the Frontier ED is bright with superb contrast and excellent apparent sharpness. The field of view is also incredibly wide and very “flat” in representation. Everything positive I said about the Promaster applies to the Frontier ED. The clarity of the image is stunning and, again, rivals that of the Alpha European models."More from the Optics Talk Forum.On Hawke binoculars:" FrankD, with a review like that, I'm just about ready to scrap my quest for the Minox, Vortex and Zeiss Conquests of the world and focus on these guys (no pun intended). One question: how did the Frontier ED stand up to the "Alphas" in low light dawn/dusk situations? This is pretty much where the rubber hits the road for me..."cats9, From the reviewer:"They held up just as well in low light conditions. At the moment I have both the Swaro EL 8x32 and the Zeiss 7x42 FL in my possession. The low light performance of the Hawke ED was somewhere in between the two....better than the EL (expectantly because of the smaller objective of the EL) and slightly dimmer than that of the 7x42 FL (larger exit pupil). As I total package I would say that the Frontier EDs are better than the Zeiss Conquest ABKs of a similar configuration. They most certainly control color fringing better and therefore produce a sharper, clearer image. The ABKs might be a hair brighter but that is up for debate. Build quality on both was about even. The Razors would be an interesting comparison. Going by memory here I would rate the Razors as having a slightly more relaxed image because of their specific level of contrast and color representation but the Hawke EDs are probably going to be brighter. I cannot comment on the Minox HGs because I have never owned one of them. Hope this helps."You'll also get the CPC discount that RedHunterLLC offers to members. "Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#5 hunting guy

hunting guy

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:13 PM

CA Desert Dog, do you carry this particular set of binos? How much do you sell them for? Anyone else know about the Vortex, Nikon, or Hawke binoculars?
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Ralph Waldo Emerson

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,301 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:43 PM

I've have a pair of the Nikon 10 x 42 Premier series binoculars for about six years now. They have some of the best glass I've looked through. They aren't heavy but you know you have glass in them. I also have a pair of Leica Ultravid 10 x 42 BR Binoculars but the Nikon's feel better in my hands and I can't tell any difference in clarity even though these binoculars sell for twice as much as the Nikon's. I will say I bought my wife a pair of the Nikon Premiers in 8 power and I actually like them better due to the wider field of view. She bird watches and likes them because you can pick up things quicker. I take hers occasionally. ;)

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#7 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:28 PM

CA Desert Dog, do you carry this particular set of binos? How much do you sell them for? Anyone else know about the Vortex, Nikon, or Hawke binoculars?

Go to our web store bino page Hawke Binoculars and pick the pair you want. Your CPC discount will apply at check out. Just insert the CPC discount coupon code.Our guide on our last Antelope hunt liked my Hawke binos so much, he really pushed me to sell them to him. He bought my Frontier binos and my Hawke spotting scope. The glass is very impressive. The guide was using a $900. pair of Leupolds and the Hawke binos beat them hands down for brightness and clarity. They are very impressive and a killer value. If what I am saying is not true, a buyer will beat me up on the forum. I wouldn't say they are this good if it were not true.The Nikons are great binos but you'll pay over $1,100. for them. I don't think you'll see the $750.00 difference between the Nikons and the Hawkes. We sell the Hawke Frontier HD 10 X 43 binos for $359.00...less your CPC discount, the price is $341.05, plus shipping. You will not find them for less (because of the club discount) anywhere.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#8 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,790 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:38 PM

Check out these.http://www.predatorm...;gonew=1#UNREAD
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#9 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:34 PM

OK, check out this unbiased review on the Hawke binos OPTICS TALK FORUM - HAWKE FRONTIER ED BINOSSUMMARY OF ARTICLE: "As it stands today, based on its technical merits, the Hawke Frontier ED 8x43 model I looked at is the best allround binocular for the money I have ever seen. Bar none."If we didn't think the same, we wouldn't be selling them....Red

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users