#1 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:01 AM

Ok I just tore apart one of these. It is not mine, but I am trying to fix it for a friend. The problem with it is, it does not shoot every time. By this I mean the firing pin is hitting the primer, but not hard enough to make it shoot some times. It is dirty inside and there was a hard plastic substance built up on and around the spring in the back of the trigger guard and sear assembly. That is the business spring for the firing pin as far as I can tell. I do not know what the substance is or was, but think that this spring will work a lot better with out this stuff around it and properly lubricated. The reason I am posting this is because Raith told me that there is a known issue with these shotguns having a weak firing pin or spring or something??????? So I am asking, Does any one on here know of any known issues with these shotguns before I put it back together and call it good? Just asking because I have fought things before and have tried to learn to do things the right and easy way. LOL I fought a savage rifle one time for about three months before buying 12 dollars worth of parts to fix it. Lessons like that make me ask questions like this.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

#2 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 07 March 2010 - 01:43 PM

Yeah, get that gunk cleaned out. Also make sure that the bolt can close all the way. Check that the piston moves freely in the barrel ring, and that the bolt can lock into the hole in the top of the barrel. Sometimes gunk inside the bolt won't let the firing pin move freely, or far enough forward to get a good hit on the primer. Also check to make sure the firing pin can move far enough back so that the hammer can get a good whack on it.A buddy had problems during duck season when he closed the bolt real easy in the duck blind and it didn't close all the way. Once he got past the first shot it worked fine.

#3 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,902 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:46 PM

Thanks Yodle Dog. But I got this thing cleaned and put back to gather. I can see I have a problem child here. I took it out back and put three low base 1 1/8 ounce Remington dove loads in, it and it fired them as fast as I could pull the trigger. Dropped one in the top hit the button and bottom fed two more just like a guy would do out hunting. Pulled the trigger and click. Pulled the handle ejected that one. Small dent in primer. Shot the next two fine. Bottom fed the one with small dent and shot it fine. Took it back apart added some more lubrication in a few spots I thought would help. Took it back out side with three winchester low base 7/8 ounce shells and shot it. Round tried to eject but did not. Came close enough to ejecting that next round fed in under bolt and on top of carrier. Had to disassemble to get it out. Just read on Winchesters sight that these were not designed to shoot low base loads under 1 1/8 ounce. I will put it back together and try it with some heavy loads.I am usually pretty good at seeing what is wrong with something and fixing it. Just can not see any thing wrong with this one, except for maybe it will not shoot light loads and the firing pin is not hitting hard enough to make it fire only some times. I will keep looking, playing with it and asking questions until I get it figured out. The only thing I did not do was take off the butt stock and look at the condition of the recoil spring. I could push on it and it was moving freely when I had it apart. Will have to pull butt stock and check that just too make sure, but it felt fine when pushing on it.
Raith Heryford's Guide Service  Salmon, Trout & Steel Head | Striper, Sturgeon & Shad | Duck & Goose HuntingYuba /Sutter Northern CaliforniaCALL 530-870-2697 or emailQuit blowing on the Fur and get to the Hide.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users