#1 pveh

pveh

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Interests:Hunting Big Game and Predators

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:14 PM

Just curious...my taxidermist has had my bear hide for a year and half. I brought to him in October 2008 and he is still not done with the rug. He keeps telling me just a few more weeks...something came up etc etc. My understading was that a rug would take roughly 12 months to tan and mount. This is quickly heading toward two years. Can I take what he has done...pay for it then give it to someone that can actually finish the job? any suggestions would be helpful.Good HuntingPaul

#2 Fishwrestler

Fishwrestler

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Interests:I am an Avid fisherman who would like to spend more time Varmint and Predator hunting. Trying to fit in all the hobbies with two young kids is a challenge.

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:36 PM

I would give coyote huntress a call. She did mine and and I got it back in less than a year. She might be the best person to advise you Just my .02 Robert

#3 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 06 March 2010 - 12:49 PM

Taxidermy is like gunsmithing the actual process takes very little time, it's the wait for the processing of the different parts of it that takes time.Your skin goes to the taxerderist where it is cleaned, prepped, trimmed, etc. Then it goes to a tannery. The tannery is going to store it until they get a large enough group of similar skins to vat tan them all at one time. So your skin will sit there typically for months. Then your skin will get tanned and sent back to your taxidermist where it needs further trimming, the form for the skull and all the artistic work begins. Usually your taxidermist has other jobs ahead of yours so your skin sits for months waiting until it's your turn.If you could get your taxidermist to take our project first and then send it to the tannery right away, where they would tan it when it arrives and ship it back to your taxidermist and they would finish it directly then you would have your rug back in a bout a month. Unfortunately you would have to pay few thousand dollars for the rug.

#4 pveh

pveh

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 02:33 PM

thanks

#5 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 06 March 2010 - 03:27 PM

Going on 2 years. Mine took 6 years and then some. But it did turn out great. It was a large boar that was 14.5 years old. It covers my queen size bed. ................................He was a little slow due to outside problems.

#6 Colin

Colin

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 05:01 PM

My buddy had his African stuff with his taxidermist for 3 years before he went to get it back. The taxidermist hadn't even touched it yet. 2 years is pushing it, but still reasonable, I've done a few shoulder mounts and the worst thing to do is rush the job. There is a lot of drying time involved. Just stay on top0 of the taxidermist and hold him to his word. Otherwise you would like a discount.....

#7 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 06:57 PM

I was told mybison skull would take a couple of months, six months for the robe and a year for the shoulder mount. The skull arrived on time and I'm told this guy usually gets the robe done close to 6 months as well but the mount will take closer to 18 months based on the guy's past performance. I guess it all depends on who ya go to and how busy they are. I sure hope I don't hafta wait over 2 yrs for the mount.

#8 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,913 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 06 March 2010 - 08:19 PM

I would look at other mounts that the taxidermist has done. Are you happy with what you have seen come out of their shop. If you are I would not get in a hurry. You are not their only customer and quality takes time. A lot of them are confined by their amount of space. They can only have so many being finished at once due to the amount of space it takes to work on a mount.

#9 Nalgi

Nalgi

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 07:59 AM

yea, that Taxidermy lingo for "I'm too lazy to work 40 hrs a week" As long as it is tanned you can take it anywhere to get it rugged. (is that a real word?)

#10 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 13 March 2010 - 04:51 PM

dont forget that a rug is dealing with approx 4 companies.... first the taxi who does all the prep..which may take awhile since you most likely arent the only client coming thru the shop..,then the shipper who isnt always in hurry,,, then the tannery who is usually busy if they are any good... now from tsnnery you have a shipper ship it to the ruggery who will get to it when your number is up, then time required to properly strtech, rug etc ..then back to shipper who delivers it to the taxi who then does alll the mouth work and paint etc.. THAT is why rugs take sooo dang long... I have one that for whatever reason is taking forever I dont knoow why I just know that when it is back ij my hands it will be finished and out the door.. It isnt like I can control the time period due to all the other places that are involved with making your bear into the trophy you desire... Patience is best if your wanting a rug...as for Nagli no you cant just send it anywhere to get it rugged..some companies wont do retail work... You want it done right or hot glued to some felt? as for the lazy comment... That doesnt deserve an answer

#11 pveh

pveh

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:40 PM

the hide has been back for about six months maybe longer I have kind of written the whole thing off as the more I think about how many times I've been told next month it will be done I just get angry and thats no good. It would not bother me a bit to wait an amount of time that ends up being roughly on target but I have been given multiple completetion dates that never seem to happen and now if I call the guy he gets pissed at me...so I just told him call me when its ready. I will be stopping by though to see what he has done up until now. Thanks everyone for the support and good hunting

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,592 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:53 PM

Boy that taxidermist sounds like a winner. Maybe you should nail his hide to the wall.

#13 CoyoteHuntress

CoyoteHuntress

Royal Oaks Taxidermy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts
  • Interests:Im a full time taxidermist and I LOVE Hunting- coyotes, bobcat, bear, boar, elk, deer etc..

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:57 PM

the hide has been back for about six months maybe longer I have kind of written the whole thing off as the more I think about how many times I've been told next month it will be done I just get angry and thats no good. It would not bother me a bit to wait an amount of time that ends up being roughly on target but I have been given multiple completetion dates that never seem to happen and now if I call the guy he gets pissed at me...so I just told him call me when its ready. I will be stopping by though to see what he has done up until now. Thanks everyone for the support and good hunting

WOnder why he gets mad? Heck my clients call all the time and stop in if they see the gate open LOL Is he super busy or something?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users