• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 travelin4fun

travelin4fun

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Fishing,Hunting,Guns,Boats, traveling, cooking, reading and just about anything outdoors. My hunting expirence has been waterfawl and upland game birds. Preditor hunting is a whole new thing for me.

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:01 PM

Any one have any preference as to type or manufacturer? Best place to buy. I'm looking for ease of use and simplicity.
Members of Congress should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers,…… so we can identify their corporate sponsors

#2 Baxter

Baxter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:24 PM

Prince fifty bullet button is a good one. They all seem to be the same though. If you like the maglock Prince fifty makes that aswell. Good luck. Parralax Tactical sells a bb w/ tool for pretty cheap. click me

#3 powderedtoastman

powderedtoastman

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Snowshoeing, backpacking, target shooting, off-roading, hunting(varmint, predator, big game), just about anything in the outdoors!

Posted 06 March 2010 - 04:14 PM

I'd reccomend the RADLOCK. It's a bullet button, but you can loosen the screw on it for when you're OUTSIDE of CA to use detachable mags, then screw it in when you're in CA to be commie-compliant. I have them on all 4 of my AR's and love them!
"Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state government, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people" (Tench Coxe, Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788)

#4 375ranger

375ranger

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Varmint hunting, ATV's, Fishing

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:46 AM

My kid just got me the Prince 50 mag lock for my first AR build. How does this compare to the BB sold by the same company. It looks as if the BB would be easier to manipulate, rather than opening the upper each reload. Thoughts?

#5 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:58 AM

The BB is much easier to operate. Cheating with the Prince 50 Maglock is a felony. If you can exchange it, do it.

#6 375ranger

375ranger

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Varmint hunting, ATV's, Fishing

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:41 PM

Thanks Yodel, that's exactly what I did. I ordered a "regular" style BB from Metaldog Tactical for $25.00 shipped. Should be GTG.

#7 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:49 PM

I ordered mine from a tactical place in the San Diego area. It has the option of functioning either way. It's CA compliant and if you go outside of sunny CA you can set it for regular compliance. Cost is fewer than $40.

#8 theseacow

theseacow

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Interests:hunting big game, predators, birds and varmints. fishing.

Posted 10 July 2010 - 08:57 PM

go with the RADDLOCK. its both the prince 50 maglock and BB rolled into 1.

#9 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:19 AM

It looks as if the BB would be easier to manipulate, rather than opening the upper each reload. Thoughts?

I suggest you open it and top load anytime while in CA. If you don't you'll get busted for a detatchable mag.

#10 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:56 AM

I suggest you open it and top load anytime while in CA. If you don't you'll get busted for a detatchable mag.

The Bullet Button converts the rifle to a NON-detachable magazine, and you don't have to top load.

#11 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 06:07 PM

The Bullet Button converts the rifle to a NON-detachable magazine, and you don't have to top load.

Once you have the mag removed, you have now detatched the magazine and you are in violation of the law. Better to err on the side of caution. :yahoo:

#12 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 06:44 PM

Once you have the mag removed, you have now detatched the magazine and you are in violation of the law. Better to err on the side of caution. :yahoo:

Detaching a magazine is NOT illegal.Having a magazine detachable is illegal.The Bullet Button converts the rifle to a NON-detachable magazine, and you don't have to top load.The Bullet Button requires the use of a tool to remove the magazine, therefore it is NON-detachable and completely legal.

#13 tenpercentfirearms

tenpercentfirearms

Plinker

• Advertiser
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, guns, and Geocaching.

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:18 PM

This is incorrect. I quote CCR 978.20(a) (which has recently changed numbers to 11 CCR 5469)

“detachable magazine” means any ammunition feeding device that can be removed readily from the firearm with neither disassembly of the firearm action nor use of a tool being required. A bullet or ammunition cartridge is considered a tool. Ammunition feeding device includes any belted or linked ammunition, but does not include clips, en bloc clips, or stripper clips that load cartridges into the magazine.

As you can see, an empty magwell AR15 does not necessarily have the capacity to accept a detachable magazine as a detachable magazine is defined as a magazine that does not require the use of a tool to remove. Once you insert the magazine into the firearm, if the magazine requires the use of a tool to remove, it is not a detachable magazine.The Bullet Button creates what most people refer to as an "attachable magazine" rifle. And the Calguns Foundation will back up anyone with a legit Bullet Button that requires the use of a tool to remove a magazine in court. Remove your magazines with a tool all you want boys and girls.Now, do I mainly transport my Bullet Button equipped rifles with an empty magazine in them? Yes! The less I might have to explain to law enforcement, the better. However, it is perfectly legal to have an open magwell in a Bullet Button equipped AR.
Posted ImageTen Percent FirearmsFor all of your black rifle needs - or contact us by email.

#14 du9207

du9207

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:21 PM

Detaching a magazine is NOT illegal.Having a magazine detachable is illegal.The Bullet Button converts the rifle to a NON-detachable magazine, and you don't have to top load.The Bullet Button requires the use of a tool to remove the magazine, therefore it is NON-detachable and completely legal.

^^^^^I back him up
Live Free or Die Hardxicanonaztlanca

#15 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:04 PM

This is incorrect. I quote CCR 978.20(a) (which has recently changed numbers to 11 CCR 5469)

OK, so I have been thinking that I was paying close attention regarding this issue. I frequent Calguns and here and I have not seen this untill now. This is good stuff and I'm surprised I havn't seen it yet. When was this info released from DOJ? The only thing I've seen printed printed from LE regarding the bullet button is the Sacramento Police memo available from Cal Guns.

#16 Bronco

Bronco

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts
  • Interests:Hunting i.e. deer, varmints, yotes. Target Shooting, Trap Shooting.

Posted 12 July 2010 - 05:44 PM

This is incorrect. I quote CCR 978.20(a) (which has recently changed numbers to 11 CCR 5469)As you can see, an empty magwell AR15 does not necessarily have the capacity to accept a detachable magazine as a detachable magazine is defined as a magazine that does not require the use of a tool to remove. Once you insert the magazine into the firearm, if the magazine requires the use of a tool to remove, it is not a detachable magazine.The Bullet Button creates what most people refer to as an "attachable magazine" rifle. And the Calguns Foundation will back up anyone with a legit Bullet Button that requires the use of a tool to remove a magazine in court. Remove your magazines with a tool all you want boys and girls.Now, do I mainly transport my Bullet Button equipped rifles with an empty magazine in them? Yes! The less I might have to explain to law enforcement, the better. However, it is perfectly legal to have an open magwell in a Bullet Button equipped AR.

Wes comes through with the correct information. Welcome to the forum.
Posted ImagePosted ImageNRA Member

#17 Baxter

Baxter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 09:30 PM

If you look on dojs website it is there plan as day. Use a tool and you are okay.

#18 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 09:57 AM

If you look on dojs website it is there plan as day. Use a tool and you are okay.

So the doJ say's it law now and the 50 something da's in CA will not prosecute?

#19 bwiese

bwiese

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 10:04 AM

So the doJ say's it law now and the 50 something da's in CA will not prosecute?

DOJ regularly inspects/audits CA FFL dealers (and gunshow vendors) with racks of BB-maglock'd ARs/AKs on their wall.If they were illegal the shop'd be closed and FFL in jail. They tried that awhile back and the person driving that issueis no longer at DOJ. (Thanks, Jerry.)Calling DOJ BoF about these matters may just get you an idiot phone clerk. Know the law yourself.The DOJ BoF is now very very small and some staff have been rotated in from other depts. It appearsthey are no longer politically driven - now they're just incompetent, but at least a phone call from a lawyercan square things away rapidly.DAs are gradually becoming educated. We see very very few cases now and when we do hear of legit BB'dsemiauto rifles causing someone drama, The Calguns Foundation will back the person and get his gun back.Bill WieseSan Jose CA

#20 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 01:19 PM

DOJ regularly inspects/audits CA FFL dealers (and gunshow vendors) with racks of BB-maglock'd ARs/AKs on their wall.If they were illegal the shop'd be closed and FFL in jail. They tried that awhile back and the person driving that issueis no longer at DOJ. (Thanks, Jerry.)Calling DOJ BoF about these matters may just get you an idiot phone clerk. Know the law yourself.The DOJ BoF is now very very small and some staff have been rotated in from other depts. It appearsthey are no longer politically driven - now they're just incompetent, but at least a phone call from a lawyercan square things away rapidly.DAs are gradually becoming educated. We see very very few cases now and when we do hear of legit BB'dsemiauto rifles causing someone drama, The Calguns Foundation will back the person and get his gun back.Bill WieseSan Jose CA

So Bill, are you saying that we shouldn't have any problems pulling our mags at the range for a reload?

#21 bwiese

bwiese

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 01:39 PM

So Bill, are you saying that we shouldn't have any problems pulling our mags at the range for a reload?

Of course not. Thousands of shooters throughout California do it every weekend. (Providing themag is not a hicap: putting a hicap mag in a nondetachable-mag semiauto centerfire rifle triggersa tertiary SB23 definition of assault weapons status; it doesn't matter if you legally own that hicapfrom before 2000 in this particular configuraiton.)(Occasionally some BLM ranger types don't get it but that seems to have gone away too.)What don't you understand about the Bullet Button? It latches the mag in and requires a tool to be used to remove the magazine, thus the magazine is not detachable per definition in 11 CCR 5469(a)."Detachable magazine" is ONLY what the regulatory definition says. If it requlres a tool to remove,it's not legally considerable as detachable even if it is "removable". The fact that a mag can be *inserted* and latched is legally irrelevant to AW status; it's only whetheror not the mag can be "detached" not using a tool that is of concern here.For a long time, DOJ has been dealing with AW issues at ranges - it got too politically hairy. Sometimesfolks were followed from the range by DOJ agents but those days are over.We also see that even if the cops think something was an AW, they take it for investigation but 97% of time don't arrest.Bottom line, keep it legal and you won't be in trouble. There is a certain 'bell curve' of folks that seemto have more interaction with LEs regarding such rifles and usually it seems to peak at around age 26.Be cleancut, don't drive a lowered purple Honda with a cracked windshield, have a copy of the CalgunsAW flowchart, and be able to quote 12276.1PC and its relation to 11 CCR 5469 defintiions and youshould do fine with any LE encounter. If you have further drama Calguns Foundation will back you(if your rifle/conduct is legal) and get your gun back.Bill WieseSan Jose CA

#22 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 02:21 PM

Thanks for the clairification Bill. :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow:

#23 tchjts1

tchjts1

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 08:37 PM

Ok, so I am new to AR's in Cali.I understand you can use a "tool" to detach the magazine. Is it also a correct statement that this little gem below cannot legally be used as the "tool", even if you remove it after detaching the mag each time?Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users