34 replies to this topic

#1 Magic Chicken

Magic Chicken

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:02 PM

Other than John and SBF with their ($365) Giraud Trimmers ;) , what do the rest of you use for power trimmers? I've just started trimming with my manual Hornady trimmer and I got through setup and 3 cases before I decided manual trimmers are for the birds.
Eric - Newbie Varmint HunterMember NRA (life), CRPA, VHA, USPSA

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:10 PM

I use a RCBS manual trimmer. Yep, they are a pain to use, but the more you use it the easier it is. Not that it is easy!! ;)
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#3 Soreloser

Soreloser

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:Anything Archery and of course my 22-250 vs. coyotes..

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:24 PM

I use a RCBS manual trimmer. Yep, they are a pain to use, but the more you use it the easier it is. Not that it is easy!! :lol:

Buy the drill attachment for your manual trimmers. Saves $300 and easier on the wrist.
Tim LewisFoxPro Prostaff

#4 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 03 August 2006 - 10:22 PM

Buy the drill attachment for your manual trimmers. Saves $300 and easier on the wrist.

Possum Hollow makes a nice case trimmer you can use with a drill. It's hard on the fingers (blisters) but easy on the wallet. :lol:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#5 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 03:30 PM

Once you go Giraud you won't go back!

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 04:36 PM

Once you go Giraud you won't go back!

Hallelujah I've seen the light! :lol: ;)

Time waits for no one--

#7 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,789 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 04 August 2006 - 11:26 PM

Chuck a variable speed drill motor on my forester. :lol: Low tech, low price, and it works. Also use it for neck turning.A17Shooter

#8 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 11:33 PM

Anything power wise works. I trimmed many thousands of cases with this tool the Possum Hollow case trimmer. I found a picture of it to show it's pretty simple but quiet speedy.Posted Image

Time waits for no one--

#9 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 12:42 PM

I just picked up another shell holder for my Giraud unit so that I can trim my 300 WSM brass. This thing is just way too awesome!!

#10 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 08:10 PM

I know I've got a collection of them myself now. I used to be hesitant to change the trimmer for fear I'd mess it up but i can do it blind folded now. Nothing does the job as easy as the Giraud case trimmer. The only thing easier is getting the wife to do them for me. :lol:

Time waits for no one--

#11 mrkubota

mrkubota

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:firearms/shooting, flying, music:<br />http://music.download.com/stratusgospel

Posted 08 August 2006 - 08:12 PM

I finally got around to modifying and upgrading my Gracey trimmer with the Giraud upgrade kit I bought some time ago.Doug provides a detailed set of instructions with the parts kit, but it's certainly NOT a 'drop-in' and go type of affair.There's a lot of drilling, tapping, and electrical work involved! If you aren't comfortable around electricity, hand and power tools, this isn't the kind of thing you'll like at all! You must change out the motor, drive coupler (tubing/clamps), add power switch, drill/tap cutter shaft for new cutter, replace cutter. Test it!!It is a worthwhile upgrade if you are willing/able to do the conversion work.'Original' Gracey pics can be seen here: http://www.matchprep.com/The is the end result of the conversion:Drill, and tap shaft for new set screw and replace cutters with Giraud carbide cutter.http://www.daplane.c...d_upgrade_1.jpgAdjust case collar to desired trim length. Cutter chamfers inside and out at the same time...http://www.daplane.c...d_upgrade_2.jpgAdmire your handiwork..http://www.daplane.c...d_upgrade_3.jpg

#12 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 09:10 PM

That's no hill for a climber! :lol: Good job it looks like it works just dandy. :lol:

Time waits for no one--

#13 One Eye!

One Eye!

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,Shooting,Fishing, Riding ATV's

Posted 13 September 2006 - 02:53 PM

Just to let everyone know im new to this page so bear with me.Has anyone tried the Dillon trimmer?Dillon has a trimmer for all standard cartigages.this is a great tool if you are going to trim a lot of brass.the Trimmer runs at about 10,000 rpm has a carbide bits that are replaceable. Ive used the same bits for around 20,000 rounds and its still looks like new. Most the 20,000 are for my AR and FN. It sizes the brass then trims.Ive modifyed my Lymann by adding a drill to it but this dillon just works so much better.

#14 Magic Chicken

Magic Chicken

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 03:17 PM

welcome Rod, looks like another Bakersfield member from your name.

#15 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 03:46 PM

Yeah Rod Welcome! It's about time you posted. :angry: I looked at the Dillon originally and the main reason I didn't get one is it doesn't deburr the case mouths like both the Gracey and Giraud's do. That changes the neck tension on your cases and I hate deburring the most. So Magic Chicken when are you going to step up with the big boys and buy one! j/k well sort of. :rolleyes: :(

Time waits for no one--

#16 Magic Chicken

Magic Chicken

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 04:22 PM

I guess when I decide that my money isn't better spent on more guns! :rolleyes: lol actually, I just started IPSC/USPSA shooting too, so if I decide to reload 40S&W for that, I'll most definitely need a good trimmer. Many more rounds fired at a match than at the bench with my 204.

#17 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 06:00 PM

I understand completely. I just have lots of guns. :rolleyes:

Time waits for no one--

#18 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,770 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:33 PM

Lyman hate triming :rolleyes: do not realy like to load but i need shells lots and lots of shells :angry:
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#19 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:56 PM

Tim, size those .223 shells of yours and throw them in a bag. Get them to me and I'll trim them for you.

Time waits for no one--

#20 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,770 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:08 PM

Tim, size those .223 shells of yours and throw them in a bag. Get them to me and I'll trim them for you.

I need to shoot them up first :lol: When I get a bunch I will take you up on your offer. Drive up for a visit whats for dinner :P
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#21 One Eye!

One Eye!

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:25 AM

Thanks all for accepting me to your conversation!Im still not sure I get the idea behind the Giraud?I went to the web page and was able to look at the Giraud. I just dont know how it works? If this is the better mouse trap id buy it but never seeing one in action makes for a lot of questions?If you have one and wouldnt mind sharing the how to's id like to know about it!And Yes Im from Bakersfield. Not real good on the computer so later with a little more time I can figure out how everything works Life will be better. :-}

#22 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:37 AM

Im still not sure I get the idea behind the Giraud?I went to the web page and was able to look at the Giraud. I just dont know how it works?

Rod you are always welcome.The Giraud works like a fancy pencil sharpener. You just insert a sized case into it and it trims to length as well as debrring the inside and outside of the case. It is extremely popular with benchrest shooters because it does such a fine job at case trimming. At most you might get a variance of .001" in a batch. As fast as you can insert the cases they are trimmed. I've done many thousands of cases with it and it is so fast. I've even redone cases I'd trimmed before that I thought were done well and found it trimmed them too. The reason it is so well liked by bench and target shooters is that you get consistent case neck tension. When it comes to precise ammo that's a big factor. Do you need one, probably not. But would you enjoy one most definitely. :lol:

Time waits for no one--

#23 One Eye!

One Eye!

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 11:00 AM

Thanks!Sounds like I need to look into this a lot farther.The Dillion I have is fast and all that but it has some draw backs. For me set up is the most time consuming. I think the idea of holding them with your hand is a very different to me? I cant get past the idea that the trimmer will will trim + or - 001?Might be a new idea for Christmas?

#24 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 11:11 AM

I cant get past the idea that the trimmer will will trim + or - 001?

It does that easily. In fact you get tired looking for one that isn't perfect.Then after Christmas comes and your birthday rolls around you can look into one of these. It's an automatic case annealer. I finally got mine going and before i knew it I was out of cases to anneal. DARN! :lol: Posted ImagePosted Image

Time waits for no one--

#25 One Eye!

One Eye!

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 11:59 AM

Now thats a toy! :-}I know im showing my ignorance but cant you get the same effect with just buying the next size bigger expander ball?

#26 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 12:08 PM

Now thats a toy! :-}I know im showing my ignorance but cant you get the same effect with just buying the next size bigger expander ball?

Not for annealing. The more you work the cases the more or faster they split and crack. Annealing softens the necks again and allows them to be resized without that fear. It also helps with neck tension again because it keeps them consistent. It sure does a nice job too. You just drop the cases in a hole and the wheel turns actually spinning the case as it moves so that the case gets the flame evenly. I can't tell you how many burns to my hands I've had over the years annealing cases by hand. Plus I didn't anneal them as evenly as this does it or anywhere near as quickly. :lol:

Time waits for no one--

#27 Magic Chicken

Magic Chicken

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 02:14 PM

and how much and where did you get that beast?

#28 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 03:05 PM

and how much and where did you get that beast?

Here you go they're $325 scroll down the page you can't miss it.http://kenlightmfg.com/products.html

Time waits for no one--

#29 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 04:55 PM

How much brass would you have to burn thru to make that a worthwhile purchase for the typical shooter here?

#30 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,475 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 05:50 PM

I don't shoot like I used to but what I do shoot I like it to be the most accurate I can make. I mean to me if it isn't accurate I don't want to shoot it, period. But you can get different cutters for different calibers and they are very easy to change after you've done it once. I don't know that I can give a fair number you'd have to shoot. But I've done over 50,000 .223 cases with mine so far and not one problem or the need for new cutters. They're carbide and will last forever. I also run other people cases through it and it still runs like a top. It is a chunk of change but it makes doing a really miserable job a joy. And it does it perfectly case after case after case.

Time waits for no one--

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users