14 replies to this topic

#1 JRW

JRW

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 10:29 PM

Would a 24" or 28" barrel be better for turkey huntin?

#2 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:12 PM

If it will be only used for turkey and maybe predators I'd go with the shorter barrel, if it will be used for other types of wing shooting I'd get the longer tube. On my last two shotguns I just split the difference and got them with 26 inch barrels.

#3 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:04 PM

+1 for the 26" Works well for everything. No need for anything longer with modern ammo.

#4 Guest_Shahan_*

Guest_Shahan_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2010 - 07:24 PM

lotta people like longer ....dont matter much to me...when we goin man? i got decoys and calls...my grandpa has land with turkey

#5 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:45 AM

Go with the 26 inch

#6 Jeff

Jeff

SacramentoSkullWorks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 09:52 AM

I prefer 26" too. I do have one 28" that I shoot, but prefer the 26"s.

#7 tonyd

tonyd

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:55 AM

Would a 24" or 28" barrel be better for turkey huntin?

I have a 28" for Coyotes works fine, I'll find out in the next few weeks how it does on Turkeys

#8 JRW

JRW

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:17 PM

Yeah my Beretta (my everything gun) has a 26" barrell but i have an old single shot that i was thinkin about turnin into a dedicated Turkey/Predator gun but it has a fixed mod. barrel. i want a full choke barrel but they only come in 24" and 28". no 26" unfortunately because thats my favorite also. so its just between 24" and 28". for just walkin around it the woods and for weight id rather have 24" but is there and advantages to a longer barrel in accuracy or would i be able to make longer shots?

#9 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Antique Tractors, Clampin', and Relaxing

Posted 04 March 2010 - 06:47 PM

The only advantage a 28 will have over a 24 is that the muzzle will be 4 inches closer to the bird, that's it. :) Are you trying to buy a barrel for a gun you already have or getting a new gun altogether?

#10 JRW

JRW

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:19 PM

Its one i already have. i was given a single shot NEF 12 gauge a few yeas age and i have never taken it hunting because i figure i would rather have three rounds in my Beretta than just one in the NEF (Sometimes i need all three :)) i hate lookin at it just sittin there so i figured why not a turkey gun. but it has a fixed mod. barrel so i was going to get a full choke barrel for it.

#11 Baxter

Baxter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:18 PM

32",

#12 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,641 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:44 AM

Its one i already have. i was given a single shot NEF 12 gauge a few yeas age and i have never taken it hunting because i figure i would rather have three rounds in my Beretta than just one in the NEF (Sometimes i need all three :doh[1]:) i hate lookin at it just sittin there so i figured why not a turkey gun. but it has a fixed mod. barrel so i was going to get a full choke barrel for it.

How long is the barrel with the fixed choke? You could send the barrel out and have a screw choke system installed.

#13 dabob

dabob

Bob Morris Foxpro Field Staff

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,739 posts
  • Interests:Shooting Sporting Clays, Trap and Skeet, Hunting and Fishing

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:59 AM

Yeah my Beretta (my everything gun) has a 26" barrell but i have an old single shot that i was thinkin about turnin into a dedicated Turkey/Predator gun but it has a fixed mod. barrel. i want a full choke barrel but they only come in 24" and 28". no 26" unfortunately because thats my favorite also. so its just between 24" and 28". for just walkin around it the woods and for weight id rather have 24" but is there and advantages to a longer barrel in accuracy or would i be able to make longer shots?

JRW, I am old school when it comes to shotgun barrel length. I would much rather use a 28" or 26" barrel shotgun for any type of hunting than a shorter barrel. Go to a trap, skeet or sporting clays range and see what barrel lengths all of the shooters are using. Longer barrels are easier to point straight and swing smoother than short barrels do. Smooth and steady is much better than too quick and jerky.As far as using a single shot for predators I wouldn't do it no matter what the barrel length is. Even though I don't like short barrels I would use a 20" barrel 3 shot pump or semi-auto before I would hunt predators with a single shot. Quite often no matter what load you shoot it will take more than one shot to stop a coyote.

#14 Yodel Dog

Yodel Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Interests:Guns and hunting, fishing when I can.

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:27 AM

...so I was going to get a full choke barrel for it.

The factory has extra barrels fairly cheap. The receiver must be sent to the factory, so make your wish list and send it back to the factory only once.Here's the link: NEF

#15 clampdaddy

clampdaddy

Chief Feathercloud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:34 AM

Unless you want a new barrel that takes a 3.5 inch shell you could probably save a couple bucks by sending your old barrel to these guys http://www.americhoke.com/ They reamed the barrel of one of my guns to take a choke tube. If I remember right I had my barrel back in three or four days. Posted Image The barrel was a smooth bore slug barrel with a fixed IC choke. Now with a super full choke I can use the adjustable sights to put the center of the pattern exactly where it needs to be

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users