Photo

Who uses an electronic caller?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you use an electronic caller? (65 member(s) have cast votes)

Yes or No?

1. Yes (53 votes [81.54%])

Percentage of vote: 81.54%

2. No (12 votes [18.46%])

Percentage of vote: 18.46%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,585 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 02 August 2006 - 02:19 PM

How many of you use an electronic caller of some sort? Just curious to find out since they've become so popular.

#2 Stiff Neck

Stiff Neck

Big Shooter

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 03:13 PM

Yes, but only recently. So far I've still called in more dogs with mouth calls than electronic. Hope to change that this season. :lol: Please add which electronic caller you use.FOXPRO 416b w/60 foot cord and external speaker.

#3 Rimrock

Rimrock

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:38 PM

I have a Foxpro 416B with remote but have not had it in the field yet. Hope to get out this week. Am anxious to try it.

#4 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 05:45 PM

Good poll idea. Yes, I've got a 416 with the new style remote. Great little unit!

#5 Adam357

Adam357

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 06:08 PM

I've got the Bandit. So far I have one kill with it. I use both electronic and hand calls but I believe hand calls can be more rewarding.

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,585 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 06:43 PM

I forgot to add I have and use a 532B with the long range remote. I like mouth calls too but it's hard to beat an electronic caller. Especially for crows! :lol:

#7 MojaveJ

MojaveJ

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:30 PM

I have but seldom use a JS preymaster it works but I don't like having to set the speaker out and wind the wire back up so I just use hand calls. I hunt with a buddy that uses the fox pro 416 w/remote.

#8 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:35 PM

Got my 416 FoxPro maybe 3 or 4yrs ago?! For awhile I wasn't sure how well I liked it. Then after replacing most of the sounds a couple times over the last couple years my success rate went up dramatically.The greatest change was replacing most of the manufacturers sounds with someone elses, especially the various "HOWLS", & that did the trick. Now I actually prefer the e caller over the mouth calls. However, I still use both, especially the distress rabbit & mouse squeakers etc.I definitely won't leave home without my FoxPro :)Frank

#9 RayGun

RayGun

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:39 PM

Yes, for years. Used JS, and a bunch of home brews and now have an FX3. I have had the FX3 since early Spring and have not taken it out yet. Been too D--- busy this year. Going in two weeks for the weekend.

#10 MojaveJ

MojaveJ

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing

Posted 02 August 2006 - 07:58 PM

Yes, for years. Used JS, and a bunch of home brews and now have an FX3. I have had the FX3 since early Spring and have not taken it out yet. Been too D--- busy this year. Going in two weeks for the weekend.

My buddy that has the 416 has had his for 6-7 yrs. The remoted quit working and he sent it to them and they didn't have parts for it any more so they sent him a new one for free so if I buy another one it will be a fox pro but I want to get better with mouth calls first. Ditto on the working too much part.

#11 skinner

skinner

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 08:43 PM

I have use both the prey master and the foxpro 416 as well as month calls I prefer the month calls on those real calm days if their is a slite wind i will use the electronic calls.

#12 Arise

Arise

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:08 PM

I'm actually in the market for one. I saw the newest one. Fox Pro 5 for around $700.00??? Yikes.I love it but I just can't dish out that much money.What would you all reccomend? Do you buy them direct from the Fox Pro Website? If not, could someone post up a link where they sell them?Thanks in advance.

#13 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,585 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:21 PM

What would you all reccomend? Do you buy them direct from the Fox Pro Website? If not, could someone post up a link where they sell them?

I'd buy the FX3 it's the same unit as the FX5. You can open up the additional sound area in the caller yourself. Plus do you really want of need that many sounds. Either way you can change the sound easily yourself with the USB cable.I bought mine originally from Mike Dillon at FoxPro. He and his family are very nice and helpful. The donated a caller to the club for a raffle. I'd buy it from FoxPro. Hope that helps. ;)

#14 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:27 PM

Last I looked there was a couple week backlog through the FoxPro site. I've had great experiences through All Predator Callshttp://www.king-cart...?...PRO - "FX3"He has them on hand and will load your selected sounds before shipping them to you.I recommend the FX3. It allows you to change out your sound selection from your computer with the included USB cable. The models 416 and 532 work great, but changing out the sounds can be a pain. FoxPro actually has a better sound selection for the FX3, too. You can buy and download sounds through their site. Randy Anderson has his sounds available for purchase through his website, too.

#15 Switch

Switch

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts
  • Interests:My daughters tell me I'm like Dr. Doolittle because I talk to the animals...too bad they don't always like what I have to say.

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:56 PM

I use the FX3 with the long range remote. I've called in lots of animals with it and I love the remote and call changing capabilities.

#16 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,804 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 02 August 2006 - 11:41 PM

Im too cheap ;) to get one maybe some day.

#17 NVWalt

NVWalt

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fly fishing, kitebugging, photography, astronomy, hot springing, looking at as many beautiful women as possible.

Posted 03 August 2006 - 03:54 AM

No doubt about them working. I had the old JS records then the cassets JS and Burnham Bros. a couple home brews and have been out and had a couple guys I was calling with use the FoxPro. But I am just an old hand caller and just get too much satisfaction knowing I was the one that called up or howled in that coyote, cat, bear , fox than by havfing an electronic device do the calling for me. ....Walt

#18 Augnmike

Augnmike

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 08:06 AM

My FX3 should be here this morning, I bought it from a guy on the PM site he bought it new and never took it out one time. He is a big game bow hunter and also shoots competitively with a bow and never had time to use the caller. It is coming with the carry bag and the rechargable batteries. If you are looking for one used try PM classifieds but check the site a lot because the used ones last about a couple of hours and then they are sold.

#19 CRITTRGITTR

CRITTRGITTR

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, upland, deer, and last but not least predator hunting. Bass fishin, trout fishin, even a little fly fishin once in a while. Anything outdoors. I also do taxidermy has been a hobby of mine since i was 12 years old

Posted 03 August 2006 - 11:43 AM

I recently purchased an FX3 great call i love it i have only had one coyote taken with it though mouth calls work great as well i think there is a little more pride in a coyote shot with a mouth call but whatever brings them wiley critters in go for it!! Bryan

#20 Arise

Arise

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 03:23 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I have pretty much nailed it down to the FX3. Now I just have to do research on the sounds I want loaded. FYI - allpredatorcalls.com Ships them out the very next morning and is 10 bucks cheaper. FP is indeed 2 weeks out.

open the additional sound area on the FX3

Can one do this? If so, how?Thanks!

#21 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,585 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 04:42 PM

John do you know how to open the additional sound area on the FX3 and of course the extra sounds are needed.

They sent something out awhile back. But I'm sure it's on their site. Since I don't have one it wasn't a priority for me at the time. ;)

#22 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 04:42 PM

yes, anyone can do it. You just need to pick your sounds. They load them and then ship it out to you. if you ever want any additionnal sounds you can use your own or purchase and download additional sounds through the FoxPro site.

#23 SpotandStalk

SpotandStalk

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Sporting Clays.

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:12 PM

I have used-use an inexpensive Remington electric caller. The only thing I've been able to call in with it are deer. Sad, simply sad.S&S

#24 Flaccid Barrel

Flaccid Barrel

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:24 PM

Recenlty purchased an FX3 from Cabelas. Total tally count to date 0 animals called in. Still waiting for them to come running in...I was able to call in another hunter (hunting quail) who came stalking in to investigate the sound. He was not aware of electronic calls or the nuances of predator hunting. A nice way to meet fellow hunters in the field :lol: . Funny thing, he thought there were 2 of us because of long range remote.Otherwise, I have previously used a mouth call, Johnny Stewart cottontail, and have called in 3 coyotes with it, one at night.

#25 Adam357

Adam357

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:59 PM

I am now back to using my hand calls only. I believe I am going to sell The Bandit. Anybody interested?

#26 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 07:31 PM

I think this poll should be "who doesn't use an electronic caller" lol. I don't read too many posts anymore that don't start off "I placed the caller". I'm one to talk though as I recently got my very own e-caller :lol: I still like using hand calls but I will say them remote e-callers sure make things easier for a solo hunter. I made a few stands when I got it....first stand.Posted Image

#27 lif2fsh

lif2fsh

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 07:46 PM

i use a home brew

#28 ehd

ehd

Big Kahuna

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,836 posts
  • Interests:Predator hunting ,and hog hunting with my dogs.

Posted 13 February 2007 - 08:01 PM

I have an f-x 5. I dont use it that often. i think if you have alot of coyotes they work great. I think that they are a great tool to suppliment your mouth calls. Just my opinion.

#29 Bruce O

Bruce O

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:HUNTING and enjoying all of GODs great outdoors!

Posted 14 February 2007 - 05:36 PM

No e-callers for me just seems like anyone can sit down push a button and wait to pull the trigger....Id rather use my hand calls and call nothing in all day(which has not happend in a looong time) then use some call that some guy sat down in front of a machine and hit record button and recorded a sound that i can make myself... but hay who can blame him with all the lazy Americans now I would laugh my azz off all the way to the bank too!!! just my two cents but to all there own :D :blink:

#30 Youngster18

Youngster18

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:live in kern county and i cant get enough of predator hunting.

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:07 PM

hand calls are all i can really get(still in high school). i pretty much own everything from primos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users