#1 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:54 AM

Anyone have or try these? I'm looking at a BSA contender:BSA Conteder: http://www.overstock...ci_sku=12285161I was also looking at a burris in the same style 6-24x40 and a bushnell in 6-24x40. I liked the look of the bsa but I have never seen/used one. Anyone have any experience with these? Its for a rem700 sps v in .223I also checked out Nikon as well in same specs. I'm just a little undecided.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#2 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 23 February 2010 - 12:57 PM

My expierence is that BSA is junk. The burris is very good. Nikon/weaver/bushnell would all be better than the BSA.

#3 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,785 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:26 PM

Well let me speak from experience. I have a couple of BSA scopes. One is a 36X target scope, In my review, on the MidwayUSA site, I stated that the 36X scope was a $129 scope that was worth the $69 it was on sale for. I guess that in all honesty they are OK for a junk scope if you don't mind poor optics and crappy adjustments. Hope that I didn't whitewash this post too much.

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#4 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:29 PM

Well that is enough to sway my mind away from it then lol. Alrighty then moving right along. Are bushnell or nikon reliable? I was originally looking at a leupold 3-9x40 but thats kinda not enough for a varmint rifle. I do have to say though I normally just adjust the scope for area and never refocus honestly but im looking for something in between 6-24x40 but better than 3-9x40
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#5 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 24 February 2010 - 12:12 PM

Bushnell/nikon/weaver all would work as long as you stay away from their bottom end priced scopes. Also might consider burris. Stay away from Trashco scopes. They are real junk.

#6 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 02:45 PM

A Better scope in the lower price range is the Mueller, I have one and the optics are clear, and it holds Zero. Might want to look at those as well. Good Luck.
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#7 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 09:44 AM

Yeah I dont use tasco lol, only on my old bb gun. What about swift? I'm looking for a decent scope for varmint hunting like squirrel/pdogs out to like 500 yards or so. I like mildot or standard reticle. Nothing fancy. I'm old fashioned I guess. This is what I get for swift was curious if anyone has or has used one:http://www.eabco.com...mp;key=205-688MIf anyone has or has used one can they let me know if they are good quality scopes? I've read a lot of good reviews only a few have paralax probs and they have sent them back to the manufacturer and get a new one no questions asked. But still is it worth the money and are they reliable to boot?
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#8 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:04 PM

Ok I found the scope that I want to get. I need some input. Its a Nitrex 6-20x50this is it: http://www.ordertree...scope/1915.htmlPlease give me some feedback. I checked it out and it looks solid to me. Its within my price range. Well a little over but wife gave me the permission to get it. But I would like some thoughts please if you would.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#9 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 04:14 PM

You do not want to get a 50mm scope. When you do it requires higher rings to mount it and puts your head into a un-natural position for shoots. Get a 40mm scope. Besides the larger lens will not really help in low light conditions enough to matter.

#10 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:07 AM

I like the 50mm not for low light shooting, mostly because I can just see more around what I'm looking at. So for Impact and if I miss or theres something around what I'm shooting I need to keep an eye on. Thats the main reason. I just like that I can see more of the general area is all.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#11 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:21 AM

Looking at the link you posted, it says it has a fine plex reticle. If its a fine crosshair, it will defeat the purpose of seeing better in low light. Fine crosshairs are harder to see, You may want to check available reticles in that model prior to purchasing. Good Luck.
“Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.”

#12 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:46 AM

I'm not going to be using it for low light shooting. Thats not the reason Im looking at this one. I'm using the 50mm so I can just see more, has nothing to do with low light really. And either fine cross hairs or mil dots is what I'm looking into. I don't really if ever shoot in low light situations. This is simply a varmint/target rifle. I will be shooting in daylight hours.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#13 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:18 AM

Ok Kewl... Didnt want to see you buy something and then regret it later... But hey... if ya dont like it convince the wife that its good for her rifle... and get a new one for your self.. :rolleyes:

#14 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 26 February 2010 - 12:46 PM

OK, I may be an old 62-years but I have to put my two cents in here because I really do think you are making a big mistake on several levels. What you should be buying is a Hawke Sidewinder Tactical scope from me. Why? Because, for what you said you are going to be doing.Hawke Sidewinder Tactical 6.5 -20 X 42 It is a better quality scope, features a 30MM tube, side focus parallax knob and a Mil-Dot Reticle (Illuminated in red or green, if desired) the 30MM tube gives lots more elevation and windage adjustment than a 1" tube and features open, locking windage and elevation turrets, resettable to zero. Comes with screw-in lens caps, sun shade and storage case (when using quick disconnect rings), Price with CPC discount and shipping is $399.00. My AR wears this scope and it is totally killer. (Below) The Nitrex is a one inch tube, limited windage and elevation adjustments, closed turrets, non-illuminated, with an adjustable objective lens and when varminting, you’ll be reaching out to adjust your parallax all the time. $420.00 +shipping.OK, explain the logic again?Attached File  1.jpg   24.22KB   36 downloads
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#15 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:12 PM

Question. I have never used the Hawke scope so what is the min of elevation adjustment in it? One reason I ask is some manufactures just install the 1" tube mech into their 30mm tubes. I have over 100min adjustment in my nightforce scopes and that is alot.I might want to look at one sometime for a varmit rifle but I will stay with leupold for my real hunting rifles and nightforce for my 50bmg's.

#16 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 01:14 PM

Hmm don't look too bad. How long would it take to get here in california? I'm picking up my rifle today and wanted to go the range tomorrow to start breakin it in :roflmao3[1]: and what other powers is it offered in?
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#17 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:27 PM

Weatherman says it is going to rain Sat but be clear on Sun. That is when I am going to the range(unless the weatherman is wrong) and test some loads. I want to try some RL25 in my 257weatherby.Kephers.....You going to lap the scope rings? What is to break in? Just clean it before you go and after you get done shooting. Do not let the barrel get too hot to hold on to and you will be good.

#18 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:45 PM

Lap the scope rings? To break in my barrel I mean to clean the barrel first, then fire 1-5 shots then clean the barrel, helps also to prevent fouling of powder/copper but it also gives the lands in the barrel a chance to clear the sharp edges done while turning on the lathe. Thats what I consider breaking a barrel in. Check this website out: http://www.gunnersde...e-cleaning.html
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#19 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 03:47 PM

Oh and I'm trying to get my scope/mounts and and get it set up today, clean the barrel mount it, bipod and all that. And practice chamber some of the rounds that I loaded to ensure the rounds fit in chamber correctly and safely.I want to go to the range this weekend but with a 100 $ deposit on my wyoming prairie dog trip I may not be able to get the rings/mount or the scope and pay for my hunt :roflmao3[1]: I get to decide I guess, or maybe get a cash advance and then go to bass pro for some mounts.. who knows. We'll see what the wife says about that :/ after all I do want to sleep in my bed tonight without worrying about waking up with all my junk gone and no knife wounds or poison in my food you know lol. Don't need any Lorena Bobbitt stuff going on in my house.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#20 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:21 PM

Hmm don't look too bad. How long would it take to get here in california? I'm picking up my rifle today and wanted to go the range tomorrow to start breakin it in :lol: and what other powers is it offered in?

Deliver time is about 4-days from your order. It is a really nice scope. Tactical rings are available on our site too, and at very good pricing. Best results are always achieved when you lap your rings. Mount your scopes the right way for best accuracy. Lapping rings is especially important with every brand of side-focus scope. Remember with side-focus scopes, there is a tube sliding within a tube when you turn the focus knob. If your rings are not true, you risk damaging the scope tube and binding the focus mechanism. Do it right the first time and don't gorilla you rings too tight. If you click on the link to our store that I posted above and use the drop down menu, all the magnification and reticle options are listed.
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#21 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:30 PM

Question. I have never used the Hawke scope so what is the min of elevation adjustment in it? One reason I ask is some manufactures just install the 1" tube mech into their 30mm tubes. I have over 100min adjustment in my nightforce scopes and that is alot.I might want to look at one sometime for a varmit rifle but I will stay with leupold for my real hunting rifles and nightforce for my 50bmg's.

This was designed from the ground up as a 30MM tube and has its own engineered parts. Hawke does not cobble together parts and make junk. I believe the new Hawke Sidewinder & Sidewinder Tactical with 30MM tube is 65 clicks of elevation and 65 windage. I will double check for you though.

#22 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 02:03 PM

Thanks for the info

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users