33 replies to this topic

#1 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:14 PM

My accuracy with a 70lb bow is fist sized at 25 yards. Is that good enough for pig/boar hunting. Someone I spoke to said to wait until I can hit a quarter at 40 yards before taking on the pork because you get one shot and then they come right at you. Seems like an exaggeration. I would be on the ground stalking, not in a tree stand. I have the option to use my rifle but am itching to use my bow. What do you bowhunters think? Maybe i should go with a shotgunner for back-up? Wear my SnakeGards to protect my calves? Best (experienced) bowhunting advice appreciated.

#2 tommybuilt

tommybuilt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:56 AM

A quarter at 40 yards! Bow for sale!

#3 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:26 AM

Your good. My first bow kill was a boar. I went to a bow hunting school in Salinas CA and as part of the bow hinting school you got to shoot 1 animal on the ranch. I shot a nice 250 pound pig @ 20 yards and smoked him. Pigs are very very tough but I have only killed them with archery equipment.. In my opinion itís the best way to hunt them. Hit them tight behind that rear sholder!

#4 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:47 AM

Is the placement shown in pic #2 look right? I thought a hair further back and lower. http://californiahun...-the-head-shot/

#5 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:30 AM

Pic # 2 is correct.. I would use a 100 grain broad head or heavier.. I use to use 75 grain for the speed but they just don't have the impact or cutting diameter that the 100's do.. You want a pass through and you want blood to pump out the entrance and exit holes.

#6 nje

nje

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:family, friends,hunting, archery and BBQ.

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:08 PM

not sure how big your fist is, but you should be fine. just make sure your bows tuned, broadheads are sharp and pass on the less than perfect shots. poor shots on hogs, more often than not, ends in a lost hog. i only shoot recurves and longbows and my groups at 25 yards have been fist sized for years. have put my share of pork in the freezer with these bows. i know a few guys that shoot bows and none can consistently hit quarters at 40 yards. this has never stopped thenm from taking hogs with archery equiptment.

#7 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:47 PM

Sounds good. I bought some 125gr Montec broadheads...been shooting 125 gr field tips for a year. Figured there wouldn't be much difference. Is there?

#8 nje

nje

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:59 PM

i always shoot a couple broadheads with my field points to make sure everything is working right. a properly tuned set up should have both impacting in the same spot. "should" happens to be the key word. definately shoot a couple broadhead tipped arrows prior to going on your hunt. G-5(i think they make montecs) makes practice heads.

#9 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,809 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:09 PM

I can't even see a quarter at 40 yards. Go get them.

#10 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:31 PM

Any more tips for bowhunting bacon? Anything "life-saving" I should know? Do pigs tend to be wary or can ya walk right up to em? I got myself some 3D camos (on the advice of a buddy) who swears by em. I must admit, I kinda like the salad suit. I may not hit anything but I sure do look the part! :smiley-outta-here:Attached File  1.jpg   26.92KB   27 downloads

#11 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:01 AM

Your quiver is upside down! :smiley-outta-here: Just watch the wind.. Hogs don't see that great but their sniffer is incredible.. Another good point nje made is to pass on questionable shots.. If you don't hit them right you will not find it, unless you got some good dogs! You will love it. Besides Elk, pig is my favorite animal to bow hunt.. Montec's are great and accurate.. They also make a target broad head, I would suggest buying those to tune your hunting bow,.

#12 EthicalSportsman

EthicalSportsman

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:13 AM

I like the camo. Stay low so that the pig wont see your outline. You will have to blend in with the brush. They say that pig can't see you and that they don't have good eyes. But they have GREAT EYES, NOSE, and EARS. But the pigs get busy rooting that's why they won't see the hunters moving in. And the pigs are LAZY. If you see a pig bedding, that's the easiest way of sneaking up to them. They don't want to get up. When the pig are rooting, The pigs move around a lot so you'll have to make a quick shot. I'm getting into pig hunting with a bow as well. The only thing is looking for a place to hunt that holds pig. About the quarter at 40 yards. You won't hit the quarter unless you practice a lot of times. BUT the GOAL is if you have a smaller target, you will concentrate more on the small target than the whole target and YOU WILL GET CLOSER GROUPING. TRUST ME on this. It is the best way to shoot a target. I usually go to Walmart to buy the orange sticker targets costing $4 dollars or so. And I buy a pork shoulder. I'll shoot the small target on the pork shoulder. It's the cheapest way of target practice for me. I don't have a taret bag so I shoot againts a side of a hill.The broad head I use is a Magnus Stinger 100 and 125 grain. The 100 and 125 grain shoot the same and they fly great. I really recommend you these broad. I shoot the flour blade due to having more razor blade. There is also the Magnus Stinger Buzzcut. Both stinger and Buzzcut are around $30 dollars. They have a life time warranty. I shot and hit the shoulder bone and the broadhead are still entact. It cracked the bones and one got stuck in the bone. I dugged it out and it flew the same. Really recommend these broad head.But I'm still at work so write some other time. Hopefully these tips help. Let me know how it goes.

#13 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:37 AM

I know it's upsidedown but it feels better to me this way. Is that wrong? Does it really matter? I tried it the regular way but the balance was not as comfortable. I didn't think it mattered much. Most of my practice was done w/o the quiver...I'm trying to get used to shooting w/ it now. Thanks for the dope on the piggies.

#14 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:50 AM

It does not matter, just thought it was funny! It maybe an issue when stalking in thick cover...

#15 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:13 AM

That's another thing, with my fletching high I don't hit em on the bushes. I thought it made sense. Is this something that really is "laugh worthy" (I don't wanna be ridiculed by other hunters). I have much to learn.

#16 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:44 AM

Well, I have been bow hunting and 3D shooting for about 10 years and your the first person I have ran across that has thier quiver like that. But if it works for you and you like it, F everyone.

#17 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,592 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:45 AM

Besides who cares if everyone laughs at you. :smiley-outta-here:

#18 nje

nje

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:48 AM

i think it's "laugh worthy", i cant stop laughing. it just doesn't look right. however do what feels best for you. but be prepared, some will run with that. play the wind on hogs just like with everything else. i have found them fairly easy to stalk compared to deer and similar game. my understanding is their eyesight is poor at picking up stationary objects but very good at catching movement. i try to wait for a slightly quartering away shot on hogs. out of curiosity are you hunting a game ranch. by the way i'm still laughing, if you don't want to be ridiculed turn it over. if you don't care leave it. i say leave it.

#19 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:11 PM

I get laughed at alot. Alot more than I deserve. I think...

#20 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:37 PM

I don't think so with a quiver like that you should get used to it. :smiley-funny-post-sign: With the quiver upside down I would think you would catch all kinds of debris in it and if you ever hunt in the rain it will collect water.

#21 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:25 PM

Life saving tip #1 If the hog trees you make sure you carry your bow up the tree

#22 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 10:44 PM

And if there are no trees?

#23 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,066 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:07 PM

Make sure you make that hog bleed first and bleeds more. I have shot them in the ass and die and I have shot them in the spine and die. I recommend the spine, heart or lung area. A good friend of mine hunts them a couple times a week and says the heart shot just makes them turn right over.

#24 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 25 February 2010 - 07:59 PM

Bruce, do yourself and your buddies a favor and mount your quiver correctly. That just looks way too s..... and if you showed up at any local 3D/Target shoots, you would be the laughing stock. If you have problems with the balance of your bow, get a hip quiver. I used one for years before I couldn't shoot anymore. You won't be able to chase hogs thru heavy brush with your nocks grabbing at every twig in your path and there's nothing worse than having a bush knock all those arrows off in front of you. Most bowhunters lead with the bow while traveling thru tight areas. I can just see it now-an arrow getting knocked off your quiver, landing on it's nock and stabbing you with the broadhead as you move thru the brush. I hope you carry a good first aid kit. By the way, if you make a well placed shot on your boar, you shouldn't have to worry about being chased. I've shot over 35 hogs/javalina during my bowhunting years and have never had one chase me. I'd be more afraid of javalina than I would a hog. They travel in packs. Good luck with the bowhunting. You look the part-now make your bow look the part also :) .

#25 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 07:39 AM

Besides all the fun we are having with you Bruce, Fakawee's post is dead on and very well explained. :rolleyes:

#26 sagedog

sagedog

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:01 AM

Your arrows look a little too long to me. looks like you've got 3" - 4" sicking out in front of the bow. If you shorten them they'll be lighter and fly a little faster, have a little less wind drift and be stiffer which may help if you're shooting 125 gr broadheads. Just my 2 cents, and I expect some change back.

#27 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,809 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:44 AM

I use a hip quiver . Can't stand any thing on the bow. Your arrows do look a little long. Can't help you with hunting oinkers .Your going to get dirt and junk in your quiver that will dull your broad heads and your vanes are like little flags yelling out here I am here I am.

#28 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:32 PM

The pics was taken as I was drawing. At full draw the arrowhead is right next to the bow. I made sure the bow and arrows were fitted to me and even had the pull backed off so i could practice more w/o crippling myself. Wouldn't a hip quiver make a lot of sound or do they make quiet ones now?

#29 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,592 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:41 PM

Kitty quiver is pretty quiet. ;) Posted Image

#30 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:57 PM

Kitty quiver is pretty quiet. :lol: Posted Image

;) ;) :roflmao3[1]:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users