19 replies to this topic

#1 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:01 AM

Ok im gonna be buying a bow soon.I went to a shop in town and played around my draw length was 28 " and we cranked the bow up to 60 pounds and I liked it there.Now the question is I want to know some do's and dont's brands to stay away from and ones I should be looking at.I will prob spend around 650 for a bow then add accessories later but I want to get an idea on what kind of compound bow I should be looking towards.

#2 tommybuilt

tommybuilt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:43 AM

I haven't shot alot of different bows but I would think for $650 you can get a pretty good upper end bow. Will the shop let you shoot the different brands they sell? Do they have a range? I would say shoot as many differnt bows as you can and buy which ever one you like the best.I shoot a Mission which is made by Mathews, and is by no means a high end bow. I paid $400 used, came set up with sight, quiver, arrows, releases, and hard case.I haven't been to Bass Pro Shops, but I know they sell alot of bows, and they may have an indoor range, where you can shoot the different brands they sell. I know Cabelas and Sheels have indoor ranges, and you can try out their bows. Even if you do that, you may still want to buy from your local Archery shop, because of the personal service they proivide.

#3 tommybuilt

tommybuilt

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 10:51 AM

1 more thing, I'm 6' tall and shoot a 29 inch draw at 64 lbs. When I bought the bow, it had a 28 inch cam on it and my local shop changed it to a 29 inch cam, don't think you'd get that kind of service from the box stores.

#4 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 02:02 PM

Ya I think they just sold hoyt bows at the range I did shoot one i liked but the kids were no older then 17 working there so i wanted someone with a little more exp to talk too.

#5 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:43 PM

All of the bows in that price range will be about the same quality the difference will be how the bow feels to you. Like said above find a shop that will let you shoot the different bows they carry and give them a try, if the shop you went to only has 1 brand them find another shop and give them a try.

#6 sagedog

sagedog

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:37 PM

The new Hoyt Matrix is pretty sweet. That's where i'd put my money if I were buying a new bow. Light, fast and forgiving. Plus, it's a HOYT!

#7 SpotandStalk

SpotandStalk

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Interests:Hunting of all types, 3D-Archery and Sporting Clays.

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:51 PM

I shoot a Hoyt Katera XL. Try and shoot a few different brands...some good bows will simply feel wrong. Hoyt, PSE, Mathews...they all make good bows in your price range. Make sure your draw length is correct...usually a pro shop will be a bit more capable in helping you get it correct. Get it to the correct 1/2". Also, don't put your draw weight too high...60 lbs will take anything you'd ever want to shoot and is much easier on the body for practice etc.SnS

#8 nje

nje

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:family, friends,hunting, archery and BBQ.

Posted 23 February 2010 - 05:26 PM

buy from a pro shop. you will not get the same service from mail order. different shops carry different bows so if possible go to more than one. any reputable shop will let you shoot any and every bow in thier shop. do not hesitate to negotiate a price on a bow you might purchase from a privately owned bow shop because the price tag is out of your range. there is some room to work. if you can go to bass pro they have some decent bow packages at resonable prices. its nice to have the shop close to home that you purchased the bow from if problems arise. just something to think about. if the shop close to home doesn't carry the bow you want, ask them about it, they might be able to get it for you.

#9 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 08:40 AM

Well I like the specs on the Hoyt Maxxis 31 so im gonna go by the shop and see if they have one I can shoot if not I will take a drive to the shop in Merced and see what they have.

#10 sagedog

sagedog

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:50 AM

OOPS. I meant maxxis, not matrix.

#11 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:23 PM

well are there any other shops around fresno now?i tried getting ahold of the one in merced and looks like it might be closed.

#12 EthicalSportsman

EthicalSportsman

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:42 PM

there's a ARCHERY STORE on CLOVIS and SHAW. I bought my HOYT THERE. The place is called, "Impact Archery Inc" (559) 325-23201621 Railroad Ave Ste 101 Clovis, California. They people there are nice and when you buy a bow there they'll service you for life. The best place I've been to. My brother bought his bow and I bought mine there. Both HOYT. GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN.

#13 nje

nje

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 06:46 PM

listen to these guys, you cant go wrong with a HOYT. you wont be disapointed. my favorites are black widows and tomahawks, but these are stickbows.

#14 ffcoyote

ffcoyote

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:21 PM

At any good pro shop you should get good advice. That said I shot all of the front runners in bow manufacturing and it all boiled down to how the bow felt in my hands and the bow having a smooth draw not the clunk you feel when the cam turns over. I ended up with the Mathews DXT and love it!! Everyone bought their bows for a given reason and they probably love it too, bottom line is don't get caught up in the hype of name or how fast people say a given bow is it's all B.S when you are stuck with a bow that doesn't feel good to you. If this is your first bow I wouldn't recommend anything high dollar unless you're 100% committed to having your A$% handed to you by all game animals, if you aren't committed I might buy your bow on e-bay when you decide that bow hunting isn't for you. That's my 2 cents. Good luck and enjoy the ride!!

#15 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:42 PM

Ya I have been to the one in clovis a few times just wanted to look around and see whats out there compare prices and stuff.The guy in Merced called me back tonight guess he was out of town so I will call him tomorrow and see if he has any in stock for me to look at.

#16 ffcoyote

ffcoyote

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 08:47 AM

if you're going to go to merced you might as well hit Golden Arrow Archery in Oakdale and Jerry's Archery in Stocton, and if you want to get real crazy Outdoor Sportsman in Rocklin, and there's another shop in Ione but I don't remember the name. One thing I forgot to mention is that some pro shop refuse to work on any bows that they didn't sell so before you buy to far away from home you might see what your local shops policy is.

#17 tinhunter

tinhunter

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fishing, camping, riding my atv. most things that involve the outdoors.

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:41 AM

Bonales archery is in Ceres which is just a little further up than Merced. I am not sure if he carries Hoyt bows or not since it has been awhile since I was there last. Like others have said shoot as many different types of bows that you can and then make your decision. A bow is not like a gun, for you to shoot it at its and your best it needs to fit and feel right in your hands before, during and after the shot.

#18 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 05:43 PM

Gonna go to Bass Pro on Sunday and take a look around and I have decided im not stuck on Hoyt I will concider other brands.

#19 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,839 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:52 PM

I shoot stick bows But I would try the good little shops before getting one at clueles pro shop. nje you got a Black Widow :smiley-outta-here: :smiley_green_with_envy: :drool: . Wheres the pictures ?. Homemade do try lots of bows all good stuff the guys here been telling you.

#20 nje

nje

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 12:21 PM

thumper, put pics on the bow pics post. wasn't sure how to put the pics so i hope it worked. don't like to think of myself as an idiot but computers sure make me feel that way sometimes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users