14 replies to this topic

#1 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,175 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:56 PM

I saw a beeman air rifle at walmart it is dual cal .177 and 22 i thought that was a good deal they are going for 129.00.I am thinking on buying one.Is beeman a good quality air rifle?

#2 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:02 PM

The SS1000-H is made in China. I had the .22cal version without the interchangable barrel. While it is not up to the quality and accuracy of the "R" model guns that Beeman imports from HW in Germany, it still is a good shooter for the price. I kind of look at the dual caliber thing as more of a marketing gimmick. Every time you switch out barrels you will have to resight it in. (kind of a pain in the A$$). If it were me I would pick a gun in a particular caliber and just stick with that. (I'm partial to .22cal) The only other gun in that price range that I would consider would be the Crosman Quest 1000 (.177) or Quest 800 (.22). They sell for $116.00 or less over at pyramydair.com. If you are willing to save up your money a little bit longer, I can highly reccomend the Crosman/Remington NPSS which sells for about $300.00. I bought one last fall and love it. It's accurate, quiet, relatively light weight, and cocks easy. I nailed a ground squirrel with mine at 67 yards.

#3 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,175 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:03 PM

thanks i will pass then just wanted to check here first.

#4 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,175 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:14 PM

Is the beeman R-1 a good air rifle I don't plan on spending more that 200 for a air rifle.

#5 mackeralboy

mackeralboy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts
  • Interests:Hunting anything above or below the water. Kayaking, Backpacking, Scuba, Surfing, anything outdoors.

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:59 PM

Although I don't own one myself, the Beeman R-1/ Weihrauch HW-80 is an outstanding air rifle. It has set the standard that just about all other break barrel air rifles have aspired to ever since it was first introduced. The only thing is that unless you can find a used one, you are going to spend around $600.00.

#6 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Interests:Bass fishing,Kayaking,Airgun hunting

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:47 AM

here is a good option for you....BAM B25 Chinese in either .177/.22...tuned and comes with scope...$200...http://www.adventure...lick-p-225.htmlRich

#7 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,175 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:40 PM

Thanks i am going to go look around town.My pocket are not deep enough for those high end air rifles that cost more than a powder burning rifle .I just need something to kill pigeons and a few squeaks etc.

#8 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:09 PM

In that case,get a Crosman Storm XT (.177) at Walmart...comes with 3x9 CenterPoint scope for around $110...

#9 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,175 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:41 PM

has anyone had any luck with gamo?

#10 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,175 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:55 PM

I just read how beeman is putting it's name on air rifles from china and that is degrading the name.The company has changed hands since the original founders.They sa yyou have to compare beeman rifles by models now not by the name.this is a good read http://www.pyramydai...compare-to.htmlI have a place to shoot squirrels that can only be safely shot with air rifles so that's why I am looking for one plus they are fun to shoot .

#11 Thumper Dunker

Thumper Dunker

STICK BENDER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,684 posts
  • Interests:Hunting ,Fishing , Wife ,Son ,Cat,Dog , My koi , Trad Bows.

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:32 PM

Learn to shoot that Wheel bow of yours :smiley_green_with_envy: . Im kinda looking for an air gun also . But im realy a cheapo. :(
You can hop but you can't hide. Yahi Bowmen. Its not how far you can shoot but how close to the game you get when you shoot. Sights we don't need any sights. Why waist time reloading when I can be making arrows.

#12 crazyhorse

crazyhorse

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:54 PM

I just read how beeman is putting it's name on air rifles from china and that is degrading the name.The company has changed hands since the original founders.They sa yyou have to compare beeman rifles by models now not by the name.this is a good read http://www.pyramydai...compare-to.htmlI have a place to shoot squirrels that can only be safely shot with air rifles so that's why I am looking for one plus they are fun to shoot .

The point about Beeman is they were not a manufacturer...just a US distributor...my understanding is the German rifles (HW) will be a separate enterprise back east...Beeman in Huntington Beach,Ca will be the Chinese outlet..via Walmart,etc..A few here have Gamo's..biggest issue was trigger which can be fixed with aftermarket kits..

#13 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,175 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:44 PM

I just bought a cross man 10 pumper for 45 bucks are they a good squirrel killer. I hear you can rainbow the pellet pretty far with these.joking i am still looking. Looking for something around 300.00.

#14 Guest_Shahan_*

Guest_Shahan_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:41 PM

i have the dual caliber rifle...its Ok, the scope sux might as well throw it away it wont hold and it max's out left and is still not right..open sights its ok i shot it yesterday and its accurate with open sights, i dislike the break barrel my self and will buy something else..but i paid 150 from big 5 and i think i paid too much seein all the other ones round 100, i wouldnt recommend it...hope this helps

#15 Marino

Marino

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 07:59 PM

Took out many squirrels with the Gamo Big Cat. ($129?). Longest squirrel kill was a measured 87 yards. Also a dove from 95. It's got a little recoil and not the best trigger but it worked for me. Get a decent scope.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users