3 replies to this topic

#1 hunting guy

hunting guy

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:11 PM

I was leafing through a cabelas catalog the other day and found a claim that Hornady's Custom Rifle Ammo will have better accuracy than any handload 9 times out of 10. Could this be true? They aren't even that exspensive to buy. Would the 150 grains in 30-06 be good knock down a deer at 300-400 yards? Anybody have experience with these loads, 30-06 or not? Are they accurate and/or good for hunting?
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Ralph Waldo Emerson

#2 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:38 PM

I have only shot a few 204Ruger rounds of their ammo. It was good. I like Hornady bulletsespecially the SST and Interbond. I shot their regular interlock bullets for many years. They all work well. Hornady makes excellent bullets. "I" prefer to load Nosler,Swift,Hornady and one Speer bullet for my shooting. I handload everything I shoot and only buy factory ammo(expect surplus for fun) to compare against my handloads over my chronograph. If you do not handload thier factory ammo would be a good choice. Thier Superperformance line will give you an aditional 150-200+FPS over normal ammo without extra recoil and pressures.The 150gr interlock or prefer SST bullet in 30-06/308win/300mag would be my choice for most hunting such as deer/pronghorns.

#3 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:33 PM

i like hornady products period. I shot a yote with a 150 from hornady that i hand loaded and it did a number on him, to the point i felt kind of bad actually. makes me think i should have done a head shot, it would have been a less mess. :signgreatreport3kg:
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#4 SpotandStalk

SpotandStalk

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Sporting Clays.

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:04 PM

I don't handload, so I can't compare Hornady with handloads, but I shoot the Hornady VMax in my 204 b/c they're much more accurate than Rem Accutips, Rem PSP's, or any other .204 ammo I've put through my rifle.SnS
"Would you vote for a woman as unqualified as Barack Obama?" -Hillary Clinton-"The best thing about the cash for clunkers program was it got thousands of the Obama stickers off the streets.""Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of congress. But I repeat myself." -Mark Twain-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users