35 replies to this topic

#1 hunting guy

hunting guy

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:04 PM

I am kind of curious what you all are using on your guns and how you like it. I'm asking each of you, what is your favorite riflescope? How is it working for you? What other ones do you like that you own? My favorite riflescope of all time is a Nikon Monarch Gold 3-9X40 that I traded a friend for. Haven't met a leupold yet that can compare. Anyways, what do you guys and gal(s) like?

#2 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:35 PM

I like my Redfield 3-9 40mm

#3 4RHUNTS

4RHUNTS

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,193 posts
  • Interests:Hunting for varmints, two and four legged varieties, deer, pigs, birds, reloading, and fishing.

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:50 PM

Leupold VX-3, 2.5 X 8

#4 Colin

Colin

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:09 PM

Leupold, Leupold, Leupold. I should back that up with, I have not looked though many of the newer models of other manufacturers lately. I'm sure their ore other very nice ones. I had a Simmons Whitetail at one time that got damaged on a hunt. I called them to see what we could do. I asked if I could send it in and they could evaluate it and let me know if it was even fixable. They said, "Don't even send it into us." Pretty rude, I thought so I didn't bother.

#5 hunting guy

hunting guy

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:26 PM

Colin, have you ever had a Nikon, or a Nikon Monarch Gold as I mentioned? Not only does Nikon have excellent customer service,(though, admittedly, not as good as Leupold) they are durable. I fell on a slope of loose shale while hunting elk in montana, my Winchester 70 in .308 had its stock broken in half after a slide of 200 vertical feet down with the majority of my weight on it(not kidding had to buy a new stock), but my Monarch Gold only had a few deep scratches, and darned if it hadn't still kept zero! Didn't get an elk, but made me a firm believer in Nikon!

#6 Divernhunter

Divernhunter

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,256 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fun target shooting, reloading, collecting firearms. Also enjoy scuba diving and welding. Shoot 22RF to 50bmg.

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:29 PM

Leupold. I have about 15 of the VarriX-II 3X9X40 NON-AO and I really like the VarriX-III 3.5X10X40 NON-AO on my 25-06. Like the 6.5X20 on my 204Ruger. Use Leupold 2X or 4X on pistols.Hard to beat the Nightforce NXS 5.5X22X56 on both of my 50bmg'sIf it is a serious/hunting firearm I use a Leupold except for the 50's. Nightforce are great but too costly for me to put on everything.

#7 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:34 PM

Zeiss Conquest Zplex 3x9... no other 3x9 I've owned or seen has the eye relief, field of view or light gathering & for about the same price of a Leupold VIII. I've owned many Leupolds (still have several & love them); Owned/own Weavers, Bushnell, Simmons(ugh), Redfield & others (BSA, double ugh) I can't think of right now. I also like Nikon a lot. B) Frank

#8 Colin

Colin

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:43 PM

I have heard great things about the Nikon line. Hunting Guy, I certainly hope you did not get hurt during that fall. sounds like a wild ride. For the money, I go with the Leupold VX-I at $220.00, I think it's hard to beat. It's the customer service that has sold me most on Leupold. Don't get me wrong, I think most companies produce something of quality. If money was not an object, Nikon, Swarovski, Leica, etc. might be on my rifles.

#9 fyrewil

fyrewil

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:43 PM

Zeiss Conquest Zplex 3x9 amazing!!!!my opinion...

#10 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:04 PM

Make mine a Swarovski Z6... 1.7x10x42mm

#11 Fjold

Fjold

Traveling hitman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, hunting and fishing.

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:21 PM

Depends on what for:Short-medium range varminting - Burris 4.5-14x50mm Fullfield 2Long range varminting- Leupold - 6.5-20X40 VX-3Short to medium range big game - Leupold 3-9X40Big/dangerous game - Leupold 2.5-8x40 VX3Long range (700+ varmints - 1,000+yards) - Nightforce 5.5-22x50 NXS

#12 Camoghost

Camoghost

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:39 PM

Leupold all day long 365 days a year... I have a Nikon, mounted it on an AR build.. Great glass, nothing bad to say about the Nikon .. However, I did end up changing it out to match all the other Leupold optics in the safe. Just like Grandpa would have wanted :signgreatreport3kg:

#13 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:51 PM

I have a Leupold VX-III 3-9X 40mm on my Tikka T3 Lite in .243 and I love it so far.

#14 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 08:38 PM

Zeiss.

#15 Bennie

Bennie

Big Shooter

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Shooting.

Posted 20 February 2010 - 11:20 AM

Top end Leupold and Nightforce. Why because that is the best I can afford and when you dial them and dial them back they return to Zero. They are my favorites for that reason. On scopes that I do not dial as long as the glass is clear and they hold zero I have no preference.

#16 D-Man

D-Man

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:34 PM

Shepherd Scopes. Once you shoot and range with one you never want to use anything else!Darren

#17 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 20 February 2010 - 07:28 PM

Hawke. Great glass, feature packed and a free ballistic program that works with just about any caliber.

#18 Rogue

Rogue

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:23 AM

has anyone tried the Nikon Predator with the 3 rings and bullet compensator?

#19 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 04:15 PM

Got an older Leupold VX-3 I like a lot. Just a great all around scope that is as tough as they come. Got to like a company that has been around as long as Leupold, and still making quality products. Warranty is second to none.Lately I've been buying some Nikon scopes I like. 6-18x40mm Buckmaster went on a Rem 700 VSS I bought for squirrels, and I'm very pleased with it. Either way, Nikon or Leupold I don't think you can go wrong. Both have a great warranty and are old, established companies that will probably be around to back it. Anyone can offer a warranty, the question is whether or not they will be around in 10 years to back it. Esp imported stuff. The only cheaper scope I've ever been impressed with is the Mueller APV, I've got one on a .17 hmr that has been my favorite squirrel killer. At $120, it is still right up there with a bottom line Nikon on price. I've tried various imported scopes before, and eventually they are all lacking. You get what you pay for.

#20 hunting guy

hunting guy

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 03:40 PM

No, I did not get hurt in the fall I described. I had quite a few bruises, and a couple of nasty scrapes, but nothing that kept me from hunting the next day. And FYI, I posted the wrong information at the start of this thread. The Nikon I have is a Monarch Gold in 2.5-10x42, not 3-9x40. Took it out the other day to look at it and remembered Nikon has an uncustomary magnification range.

#21 hunting guy

hunting guy

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 03:49 PM

Anybody else got their :653: ? I'd like to know everyone's thoughts if they want to share.

#22 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:16 PM

Depends on what for:Short-medium range varminting - Burris 4.5-14x50mm Fullfield 2Long range varminting- Leupold - 6.5-20X40 VX-3Short to medium range big game - Leupold 3-9X40Big/dangerous game - Leupold 2.5-8x40 VX3Long range (700+ varmints - 1,000+yards) - Nightforce 5.5-22x50 NXS

Gotta 22-250 Frank? Whaddaya got on it?

#23 Butcher45

Butcher45

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:52 PM

I don't have much experience with scopes, but I'll say that I am over-joyed with my Zeiss Conquest 1.8-5.5X38mm w/ Z-Plex reticle. If Zeiss has a Conquest that fits the application, that is the scope I will be buying from here on out.

#24 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:28 PM

Today I am impressed with the Bushnell Elite 6500 in 4.5-30x50 with the DOA reticle!A few weeks ago I was impressed with the Hawke Sidewinder. Mostly I'm impressed with Leupold variables with the varmint reticle.

#25 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:08 PM

My favorite scope that I own is a Bushnell 4200 Elite side focus 6-24x40 mildot. I've also got a Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x40 Tactical that's very nice. But the scope I would dearly love to own would be a Nightforce 5.5-22x50 NXS with MLR reticle. The MLR has cross-hatches in place of mildots so they won't obscure long range targets as much. Does anyone know of any manufacturer besides Nightforce who offers a scope with an MLR style reticle that uses cross-hatches instead of dots? Nightforces are out of my price range. Nightforce MLR (illuminated)Posted ImageMike

#26 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:32 PM

Does anyone know of any manufacturer besides Nightforce who offers a scope with an MLR style reticle that uses cross-hatches instead of dots? Nightforces are out of my price range. Hawke Sidewinder Tactical uses both. This graphic kinda stinks though. Attached File  1.jpg   10.55KB   14 downloads

#27 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:00 AM

Interesting, thanks Red. The only other scope I've seen with an MLR-style reticle was a 4-16x made by Osprey that a guy at the range had mounted on an AR-30 .338 Lapua Magnum. He let me fire it and the scope worked fine although it was an inexpensive model. (I was able to hit a grapefruit sized rock at 1,000 yards with it on the first shot.) But I haven't found any Ospreys for sale online with that MLR reticle any longer.

#28 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:49 AM

I have this 4.5-14 X 42 Hawke Tactical scope on my M4 and it works very well.Attached File  1.jpg   27.01KB   17 downloads

#29 JimT.

JimT.

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:15 PM

Red, what rings are you using for the scope and I'm assuming a 30mm tube scope?

#30 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:07 PM

I don't have a specific favorite. I like variety so I have several different brand in my position. As for the reticle, I really like the TMR from Leupold and the MP-8 from IOR Valdada.Here's the TMR. Your looking at 1,339 yards.Posted ImageHere's the MP-8. This is over a mile.Posted ImageHere what it look like when viewed from my Swarovski Laser Rangefinder.Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users