22 replies to this topic

#1 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:17 PM

What am I looking for? Definitely used, utility model. Do you need 4x4 or is 2x4 plenty for most? I'm not looking to run the Rubicon, been there done that. Probably looking 4 - 5 years old maybe. What wear / maintenance items would I look at? What would you replace as a maintenance item if you bought one? What add-on's you do to it first? What about the cheap imports? I could pick up a new one for cheap but I'm very leery about reliability. Is 250cc big enough engine, I don't think I'd need anything over 400. Can you load a full size utility quad into a f/s pickup? As you can see I'm almost lost in this whole thing, have I missed anything?Thanks!

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,943 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:29 PM

I can't answer those questions but I'm wondering where you can really use one in California anymore? I mean you can't drive them on any roads as they are restricted. An old Jeep would be a better choice in my opinion.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 fyrewil

fyrewil

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:40 PM

I 2nd SJ on the Jeep vs Quad.If you dead set on a quad, do not get anything smaller than 400cc's, 4x4 with the ability to take out of 4x4 and run 2x4.Honda/ Yamaha/ Polaris

#4 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 09:14 PM

I've been jonesin' for a project CJ-8 but just don't have the room. I do miss my old maxed out CJ-7 tho.SJ, I do see your point. I guess I'm just looking for another money pit.

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,943 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:58 AM

I understand where you are coming from. Buy a house and fix it up. I just love pouring money and time into the one I'm working on. :roflmao3[1]: But seriously even a beater old CJ would be the way to go I think. I've been looking at them again myself lately. I miss my old CJ. :good:

Time waits for no one--

#6 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:51 AM

I've got an old honda 400 quad. It has been pretty maintenance free. It will fit in a PU but pain to load with ramps etc. I've got a little tilt trailer that is much more practical. I have to agree with the other guys though about the CJ's. Great portable shooting bench, easy to tow (no trailer req'd), Street legal, and cheaper than a quad. Mine is a 80' CJ5 and I put an old bimini top from a boat on top for shade. Drop the windshield, put a few sandbags on the windshield and presto. I wish it was a little older model so I wouldn't have to smog it. I think 77' is the cutoff for that. If you get the old straight six motor they are bullet proof. I found a used RV tow bar instead of the old type which makes hooking it up by my self a snap taking less than 3 minutes.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#7 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,943 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:58 AM

Here are two pictures of Buzz's CJ. It's a great shooting platform.Posted ImagePosted Image

Time waits for no one--

#8 msand951

msand951

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 01:05 PM

So can you hunt off your jeep, Or just for sighting in and target practice?

#9 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,943 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 01:32 PM

You can shoot non game animals from a non moving vehicle if you are on private property with NO public access.

Time waits for no one--

#10 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 01:41 PM

Kind of hard to drive and shoot :good:
Without hunters there wouldn't be much of an environment to protect!!Conservation of Wild Life Through the Taking of Predators by Sportsmen United we stand

#11 fyrewil

fyrewil

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 01:48 PM

Thats what full auto is for :good:

#12 msand951

msand951

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 07:06 PM

I can :lol: fire my wasr 10 when i pick it up wednesday. :lol: But im going to have to trade or sell my mini for a impala lowrider. :(

#13 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:35 PM

I love my cherokee, I had a cj5 and thought it was great for 4xing and wanted something with more room so I bought the XJ. This thing does as much as the cj would and is alot more comfortable doing it. You can pick up jeeps for less than quads in most cases and if you are hunting in California you have more areas you can go with a street legal 4x4.Attached File  1.jpg   26.77KB   22 downloads

#14 lilwes278

lilwes278

SATISFACTORY!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting, fishing, four wheeling, riding ATV's, camping, and the various ECV activities...

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:27 AM

ATV questions - depends on what you're doing with it. If you're staying mainly flat ground, not hauling a trailer or any large loads, then a 250cc 2x4 will work. Add some gear, start climbing hills, and you're going to want at least a 350-500cc 4x4. A fullsize quad should fit in the back of a pickup (my Polaris 500cc 4x4 will fit in the back of my Chevy but it's a few inches too long so I have to leave the tailgate down). Polaris, Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha are all good bikes. Can-Ams are known for having issues. All of the knock-off brands are just too "iffy" when it comes to parts & service so I would avoid those. They are cheap, but if it breaks and you can't get it fixed then you're basically stuck with a piece of scrap metal. For ease of maintenance get a bike with shaft drive instead of a chain. Chains get caked with mud, stretch, and sometimes come off of the sprocket. Shaft drives just keep running and running. Definitely get a bike with reverse - you'll need it. Good lights too. Unless you're going to play in the sand, stick with a four stroke. Electric start is a huge luxury but I like having a pull-start as well just in case your battery goes dead out in the woods (my Polaris has both). Upgrades should include tool kit (including tire plug/patch kit, Fix-A-Flat, tire irons, electrical tape, extra spark plug, and plug wrench), gun holders, tow strap, GPS mounts, tires, winch...probably in that order. Cheapest place to buy tires (and most other parts) is rockymountainatv.com. As soon as you buy one, do a FULL service. Some bikes go for years without the owners doing the required maintenance. Before you buy, pay attention to the brakes (do they sound or feel like they need replacing?) and bearings (lift the wheel off the ground and wiggle the wheel/tire - does it have a lot of "slop"?) Roll the wheel - do the bearings sound gritty/loose, or are they smooth & quite? Take the seat off and check the air filter underneath. Guys that don't take care of their bikes usually don't take the seat off when they're washing it. A bike can look clean & pretty, but if you take the seat off and it's covered in mud, then you know what kind of conditions the bike has been subjected to. And one last thing - good ramps are not cheap - cheap ramps are not good. If you're determined to haul your quad in your pickup, buy GOOD ramps (with safety straps on them otherwise they'll kick out and you'll end up with an ATV on top of you). But if you're willing to spend just a few dollars more, you can pick up a really nice little trailer through Lowe's, Home Depot, or even the HaulMaster trailers through Harbor Freight aren't bad. The trailer is ten times easier to load/unload, plus if your quad has a hitch you can use it to move firewood, haul out a deer, etc. My little trailer has been a real lifesaver! After all of that, I will say that you can drive a Jeep more places than you can ride a quad. The Jeep makes a good back-up vehicle in case your daily driver breaks down and it will hold it's value better than an ATV. Good luck!
Oregon Hunter's Association memberE. Clampus Vitus Estanislao Chapter 58, Humbug Chapter 73, and Umpqua Joe Outpost 1859 memberIf you can't fix it with a hammer, then you've got an electrical problem.

#15 Heywood

Heywood

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 06:29 PM

Thanks Wes, that's an awesome write up. :653: Sticky quality :good:

#16 Mitch

Mitch

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:I hunt anything you can buy a tag or a stamp for.

Posted 01 September 2010 - 01:10 PM

I have a 2005 Kawasaki prairie 360 4x4 camo quad. I use the poop out of it for deer, bear, varmint and ducks. I guess im just lucky where i live i have no problems driving around and hunting with it. I even get stopped by the local police and that just ask me questions more interested than anything. I guess it just depends on where you live.
I don't hunt to kill, I kill to have hunted.

#17 rude robert

rude robert

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 04:24 AM

If quads were allowed to go where trucks and jeeps can go, I would go with the quad. Loading/unloading being the only draw back. Ive gone 20 miles in the mountain roads in minutes where I wouldn't go that fast in a jeep. Only because jeep parts are more expensive to fix. Really, the Jeep is more practical in california though. Although, you can get a trailer for a quad if you can use it, to give you almost if not more room then in a jeep. I like jeeps but I hate the smog issues they present though. If your rich get both lol
Freedom isn't free, It's paid for in blood! How wonderful, how marvelous is my Saviors love is for Me. He said that it's finished, the debt has been paid for in full.

#18 huntdog420

huntdog420

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 07:35 PM

I bought 2 honda ranchers 350 4x4 they will climb trees if i could hand on. i have hooks on handle bars from mad dog i keep a soft case in the hooks your gun will get very dusty. i hunt d13 and have had no trouble i keep ammo in my pocket NOT IN FIRE ARM i shoot a 336marlin good gun a short gun is better for handle bars. i had a represenitive from wilderness unlimited tell me that quads scare game even more than a diesel pick up . my wife threw him out i love that girl. all though i have never riden up on a deer to shoot. be sure what you buy is green sticker if you plan to use it in california, no restrictions like red sticker rides oh ya slime the tires i found that out the hard way. they are nice to get you back to a place to start walkin. my wife and kids enjoy them too the whole family rides even the dog! so i guess what im saying is get the quad.

#19 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:44 AM

Hey Lilwes, You seem to know your ATV\UTV.What is the word on the new Can-Am UTV? Thanks
Karl

#20 Mitch

Mitch

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:I hunt anything you can buy a tag or a stamp for.

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:04 PM

Quads are better : )
I don't hunt to kill, I kill to have hunted.

#21 jawbreaker

jawbreaker

Big Shooter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:34 PM

Side by sides are more comfortable to drive. IMO

#22 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:06 PM

Hey Lilwes,You seem to know your ATV\UTV.What is the word on the new Can-Am UTV? Thanks

Since Lilwes hasn't answered you yet, let me butt in by saying the Can Am Commanders (UTV's) both in the 800cc and the 1000cc are very nice units. My company just did some testing on them for accessories and such and they both ran like bats out of hell! The 800 is far faster than the Yamaha Rhino, Honda Big Red, Polaris's standard RZR and Kawasaki's Terex. It was dead even in speed with the Polaris RZR S model. There is no competition yet for the 1000 Commander. We did not clock this beast but I'll tell you that it blows the doors off Arctic Cats 1000. They are both very comfortable, haul alot of gear with their double bed designs and the best thing is they are pretty fuel efficient too. The independent suspension is awesome. Much nicer than the Polaris Rangers and Yamaha Rhino's. The only other UTV that comes close in the suspension department is the Polaris RZR S.Now the bad news, dealers are hard to find and parts will be hard to get if they break down and with Can Am's history, they will break down. One of the things I personally noticed was the belt wear. They will go thru belts much faster than the other makers simply because you can't keep your foot out of the gas. The 1000 has so much torque, the belt will surely need replacing but that will depend on how many hours of abuse an owner will put it thru. The aftermarket will be filled with accessories for these UTV's soon.UTV's are great on a ranch or out of this state. California has put so many restrictions on offroad vehicles that it makes you not want to buy one. The Governor signed a new law that will require 2011 models to maintain all their stock mufflers and emissions. I don't particularly care to change out an exhaust system just to gain a few horsepower but it is my business to sell customers what they want and most times, it's loud exhaust systems and intake kits. Good luck with any offroad vehicle purchases guys! IMO, I'll stick to my Jeep.
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#23 Karl

Karl

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:06 AM

Thanks for the info Fakawee!This club keeps amazing with the wealth of info! Thanks to you SJ as well!Last year in Texas we used a Terex and it was very nice in the hill countryso I wondered how it compared. For now I will stick to my Toy.California and all the regs is getting crazier by the day.Thank You
Karl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users