#1 Epick

Epick

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Interests:Uni cycling, wight-lifting, airguns, cars, etc etc

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:42 PM

I just got a brick of aguila supermax in the mail. I loaded up a mag and cycled them through manually with the bolt. Several times rounds would not eject (note these are unfired), I marked the non ejecting ones and sometimes on the next time through they would eject fine, and sometimes other cartridges (non-marked) would jam.Will this be a problem in the field? I know the dimensions of the cartridge change slightly after firing and maybe that will be enough for reliable cycling. Also, i noticed that the supermax casings are longer than remington target or federal standard (normal .22 lr cases) by a little bit, kind of like stingers. I thought they were the same size when i ordered but apparently not. Will this longer case be a problem in my GM barrel (it has a bentz match chamber i believe)? If so i can swap barrels to the stock target barrel if i want to shoot the supermax

#2 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:51 PM

You didn't mention what kind of 22 this is so I'll assume it is your 10/22. I had a 10/22 that would extract every time, never a faliure, unless I tried to extract an unfired round. Then, it would not extract at all. I replaced the extractor and took care of the problem.

#3 Epick

Epick

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • Interests:Uni cycling, wight-lifting, airguns, cars, etc etc

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:56 PM

yeah sorry it was the 10/22.It already has the edge extractor and it seemed to do fine with normal ammo, might just be the longer casing. is there any risk of damage to the gun beyond a jam requiring a pocketknife extraction when firing the longer cased rounds (overall length is identical)? I know the match chambers have tighter tolerances.I plan on taking it out this weekend and putting some rounds through it at the range with the variety of ammo i have, if its safe i'd like to put the supermax to the test

#4 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:11 PM

Safe? I don't know. I never shoot anything but High Velocity or Standard Velosity. I have never felt the need for anything else.

#5 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:27 PM

Better check, most of the target barrels are not for the stinger type ammo. I've got some of the Aguila super uber ammo, and have put it away separate so it doesn't get used in my Green Mountain barrel. IThe tighter chambers also cause the problem you have noticed with ejecting the unfired rounds---- NB the stamp on the Green Mountain barrels that says "WARNING-UNFIRED ROUNDS MAY NOT ALWAYS EJECT"

#6 Braz

Braz

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,814 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:12 PM

And that fits, because I have a Green Mountain barrel.

#7 highplainsdrifter

highplainsdrifter

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:18 AM

I just got a brick of aguila supermax in the mail. I loaded up a mag and cycled them through manually with the bolt. Several times rounds would not eject (note these are unfired), I marked the non ejecting ones and sometimes on the next time through they would eject fine, and sometimes other cartridges (non-marked) would jam.Will this be a problem in the field? I know the dimensions of the cartridge change slightly after firing and maybe that will be enough for reliable cycling. Also, i noticed that the supermax casings are longer than remington target or federal standard (normal .22 lr cases) by a little bit, kind of like stingers. I thought they were the same size when i ordered but apparently not. Will this longer case be a problem in my GM barrel (it has a bentz match chamber i believe)? If so i can swap barrels to the stock target barrel if i want to shoot the supermax

I don't know which one is Supermax but I got the Aguila in both HP and solid nose rated at 1,750 and have had no problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users