• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 novaman64

novaman64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, shooting, hunting, muscle cars, snow skiing, wakeboarding, barefooting, camping, horses, livestock

Posted 16 February 2010 - 07:45 AM

Do what I am trying to do. Buy a house and then have your 09' taxes amended, youll get an extra $8000, that will by a couple rifles and all your reloading sutff....

#32 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 16 February 2010 - 01:10 PM

In all honesty man I really wish I could. My credit is shot and so is my wife's. I was divorced once at 23 years old with debt that aint funny. I got about 8 Grand in debt and she has about 13 grand in debt. and about 1/2 of mine is in collections and we dont know about hers. My credit score is like 505 :/ which is freakin horrible. In 1 year it went from 720ish to 505 so It ain't happenin for a few years at least.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#33 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:14 AM

Ok so I got my tax return yesterday and went today to Stockton Outdoor Sportsman and purchased my Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .223 so my 10 days starts today :good: Oh yes I'm stoked.and also went to bass proshop and picked up everything I need for reloading with the exception of the tumbler and primers. Tumber I dont need just yet as I bought brand new winchester .223 brass (200) and they were out of small rifle primers :/. So gotta search for those. My next question would be ...What should I use for scope mount/scope? What power of scope for varmint, my price range is up to about 300ish and as for the mounts do I need low/med/high and what is best 1 piece or 2 piece?As for my reloading I bought 55 grain hornady v-max rounds (200 count) and Powder I got imr XXXX cant remember exactly which one, but the book came with the kit. Another question as for barrel break in.. should I bother using handloads to break it in? Or should I just use factory ammo for barrel break in and scope zeroing? Any and all info is appreciated and criticism that is productive is also welcomed. Thank you in advance!
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#34 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:54 PM

Good choice on the rifle. Get yourself a scope that is at least a 14X and at least 40 mm lense. Ring height depends on the objective lense. A one pice mount is better but I have a two piece that works fine. The 55 grain v-max should shoot fine out of that rifle. I like 50 Nosler Ballistic tips for my SPS. I load those over AA2460 powder. What kind of a powder measure did you get. My RCBS uniflow doesn't meter any cylindrical powders. I have to stay with ball powders. As for your break in, I would just use the cheapest ammo you have. You could get some FMJs or PSP's for cheap to load yourself. I like to order my bullets from midway.com They seem to have the best prices for what I do.Good luck!

#35 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:02 PM

This is the kit I got last night. http://www.basspro.c...5005000_425-5-4hope the link works
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#36 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:15 PM

I've never used that one. If your measure has a hard time with cylindrical cut powders, switch to a ball type powder. You will know right away if it doesn't like those kind of powders.

#37 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 08:41 AM

Ok. How will I know? Will the weight be off? or what will it show just so I know?
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#38 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 18 February 2010 - 07:55 PM

When you move the handle to drop a charge, you will feel the powder creating a resistance. You are cutting the powder when it's doing that. A ball or flake powder won't do that. Then, all of the powder may not drop on a charge. Then, on the next one, the powder from the previous charge will drop along with the powder from the charge you just dropped. As a result, one case will not have enough powder and one case will have to much.As a safety precaution, load up a tray of cases. Then, look into all the cases to make sure they visually have the same amount of powder.

#39 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:10 AM

Oh I see. I haven't set it all up yet to start reloading. Hopefully I'm going to do it today. I'm setting up the reloading table, it's actually a entertainment center I'm turning into a reloading bench. Next to my computer in my little 1 bedroom apartment in the kitchen table area that we never use. Wife gave me the ok. The table cost me like 75 bucks for a nice n sturdy table with plenty of storage for stuff. Seeming as I live in a one bedroom apartment its really cramped as it is. But this I'm going to make work somehow. I'll probably start reloading in a day or so once I'm all set up. I will be coming back to here though for plenty of questions. I do have a reloading book, however I find that I learn a lot faster from work of mouth instructions and then trying it myself, then verifying it with the book. I want to start a system that way I'm consistantly doing everything the same way every time I reload.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#40 atavuss

atavuss

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:15 PM

have you thought about a rifle in .204 Ruger? the .204 Ruger actually has better ballistics at longer ranges than the .223 or even .22-250. the .204 Ruger also has the added advantage of lighter recoil which will allow you to spot most of your own shots.

#41 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 03:54 PM

READ YOUR MANUEL!!!!!!! Then ask questions. Reloading is can be very dangerous if done incorrectly.

#42 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,779 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:03 PM

Kephers, I have been using the Lyman powder measure and case trimmer for many years, both work well. Actually, learned to reload using the Lyman 55 powder measure at age 16, that would have been 1960. It is especially good when loading small cases with ball, small kernel or flake powders. Once it is adjusted for the charge you desire I find it very reliable.Somewhere, I read that the Lyman 55 was originally a black powder measure.

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#43 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:08 AM

I am reading my manual daily. Trying to understand everything. It seems fairly simply but for my first few times reloading, I'm going to be reloading only 3-4 at a time through the whole process. Will do that 5 or 6 times so that way I fully understand the process and follow all the steps the book tells me too. Most say weigh powder every 5 or 10 rounds once powder is being used, personally I prefer to do each and every cartridge so that way I know for certain everything is correct and I will double check each cartridge till I feel confident in my abilities and to follow the manual and recipe for each round.As far as the scale I'm using the lyman 1000 xp compact electronic powder scale: http://www.cabelas.c...55215769a.shtmlthat came with the kit. I'm using the Hornady hand primer: http://www.midwayusa...ctnumber=756549and the Lyman Crusher 2 single stage press: http://www.lymanprod...RPK_Crusher.phpOh and to answer your question about the .204, yes I thought about it I just havent been a fan of anything less than 223/22-250 yet, I may end up gettin a 22-250 and maybe a 204 one day, but now I was wanting the 223 or 22-250 more. But I went with the 223. Recoil isn't a factor for me really with any rifle or shotgun, I dont care how much it has per say, but I do want to be able to shoot all day if I want to without worrying about my shoulder being sore. The 223 to has almost no recoil that can hurt my shoulder in any way, its a high power bb gun to me, least thats how the recoil feels. I may look into the 204 one day. Maybe for next years tax returns if wifey doesn't claim it first :( she gets first dibs on anything she wants for her and the kids next year. I used most of it for my rifle/reloading and stuff this year and she already has a claim on our state taxes and my bonus check :( but its ok. I got my rifle :smiley-innocent-halo-yellow: im happy
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#44 Randyb1

Randyb1

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:42 PM

That was my choice.. Bought a Tikka in .308 and the Savage for the 223.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users