#1 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and Shooting

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:00 PM

title says it. But with this I have a few questions. 1. Is there a gunsmith around the manteca/lodi/stockton area that can glass bed this rifle does anyone know someone that does good work. It has a black synthetic stock Im using this rifle mostly for varmint/target shooting out to about 400-500 yards max more than likely but want to find out for myself what is max range I am able. So...2. What scope should I look into buying? I'm going to have a bipod/sling as well.3. What is best ammo for this rifle. Grain/brand/bullet type. Ive heard 55 gr v-max but need some clarification because this rifle has 1:12 twist. What bullet types and weights am I restricted to with this rifle and twist rate? Any help is appreciated. I got some more questions but I'm gonna take it a step at a time. This rifle is going to be used for my prairie dog hunt in wyoming which I'm turning into a yearly thing for my friend, wife, brother and I. I want to make it the best I can and that I can afford also. Doesn't have to be done all at once. But I want it done slowly and correctly My goal for it is 3/4 moa @ 100 which I think is a reasonable goal. I'm picking it up as soon as my tax return comes in within a week :roflmao3[1]: im stoked. Will keep you posted and looking for to learning a few things
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#2 bisley11

bisley11

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:40 AM

Try Stocton Sportsman on West Lane. last time I checked they a a qualified gunsmith able to do most if not all accurizing procedures. You sure cant go wrong with that Rem 700 action!

#3 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:34 AM

I'll check outdoor sportsman. I just never knew that they had a gunsmith there. I always just thought that they sold rifles and what not. Never had a clue they did any gunsmithing. I was an armorer in the Marine Corps a few years back, i might want to go to school for gun smithing. Might make me some money around here.I will check them out, thanks for the info I may go there. Did you use them for any reason? You know how their work is? Is it trustable? Decently priced and worth it?
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#4 Kevin Burroughs

Kevin Burroughs

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:00 AM

I own your rifle. Great gun, very accurate and my loves 50 grain Vmax bullets from Black Hills, their reman stuff.Ken Gennecco in Stockton is the best gunsmith- manufacture on the west coast. He bedded mine and cleaned up the trigger and crowned the barrel and mounted the scope. 209-951-0706Any bullet heavier than 55 grains is going to be problematic because of the 1-12 twist.-----------kevin----------

#5 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,175 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:23 AM

You can always glass bed it your self.Midway sells a kit and if you google glass beding you should find a video that shows you how.I found a site once that explains it real well.

#6 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,006 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:50 AM

You could always buy a Savage too. They come with great triggers don't need to be bedded and with a 1in9 twist will handle the heavier as well as light bullets. They're cheaper in price also. But one thing 400-500 yards is much to far for coyotes with a .223. It can be done but isn't necessary when calling.

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#7 Colin

Colin

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 10:02 AM

I really like the Nosler 40gr Ballistic Tip in my .223, They've worked really well on coyotes out to 200 yards. I like that they have a solid base. I'd also go with the Savage. Between myself and my hunting buddies, we have several and all have been great shooters and there are no problems....plus they are inexpensive. My Savage .223 out shoots both of my custom rifles.

#8 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,175 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:05 PM

Go out and shoot the rifles as is I bet it will shoot great as is you never know.

#9 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 12:21 PM

I have the same rifle. Keep in mind it comes with an aluminum bedding block (if I'm thinking of the correct rifle...) in the stock (made by H&S precision). I spent a while looking over mine with a good gunsmith, and he didn't think it would noticeably help the accuracy to glass bed it. As far as bullets, mine really, really likes 40 grn bullets. Those are not going to cut it for your long range shots. About as heavy as will work well is 50-55 grn in that rifle. You need the 1-9" twist to work with the heavier bullets. I've got some new loads for mine, 40 grn Nosler B-Tips, Ramshot TAC powder, first group I tested had 5 shots touching, I've got the picture to prove it! :yikes[1]: When the squirrels come out I can tell you how far out they are effective, but I'm guessing much past 2-300 yards and the wind, etc will be too much for those light bullets.As far as what scope, I've got a 6-18x40mm Nikon Buckmaster on mine. Very happy with it, and was on sale for $300. Mine is built just for target/ground squirrels/rockchucks from a rest of some sort, it is never going to be a coyote gun to pack. Too heavy. So I went with the higher magnification and I am very happy with it.
"I grew up poor. It's the people who are born with money who jump out of windows."---Lee TrevinoDo NOT spread my wealth. Spread my work ethic.Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.Many people imply, with bad jokes, that Cajuns are unintelligent; however, anyone that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a Hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a genius.

#10 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:11 PM

I own your rifle. Great gun, very accurate and my loves 50 grain Vmax bullets from Black Hills, their reman stuff.Ken Gennecco in Stockton is the best gunsmith- manufacture on the west coast. He bedded mine and cleaned up the trigger and crowned the barrel and mounted the scope. 209-951-0706Any bullet heavier than 55 grains is going to be problematic because of the 1-12 twist.-----------kevin----------

How much did that run you about though?
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#11 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 07:16 PM

Oh and thank you all for the information I read them all and I'm still considering while I wait for my tax return. :good: I was at first thinking Tikka t3 lite/remington 700 or even the Howa axiom in 223. This will be my first bolt rifle besides my 22 mag :doh[1]: so I'm stoked, but I still love the 22mag I was shooting squirrels at 125 yards with it. And I was also shooting squirrels around the same distance with my marlin 60 22lr out in the hills heading towards the bay area off of 580 out there on some private property. But I mean I've read up on a lot of these rifles, reviews and what not, even on youtube lookin for reviews. Everyone has their own opinion on it I guess. Personally I like the feel/look of all of em. However I cant shoot before I buy which is what is making me iffy on all 3 haha
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#12 novaman64

novaman64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, shooting, hunting, muscle cars, snow skiing, wakeboarding, barefooting, camping, horses, livestock

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:08 AM

The SPS Varmint uses a tupperware stock, not worth putting any money into bedding them. If you get that rifle see how it shoots (I bought the same one in 243), some are great, and others are off, a aftermarket stock will give you consistency and more accuracy though.....

#13 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:15 AM

I have the same rifle as well. I havn't bedded the stock and I can shoot 1/2 groups with it. It's a great rifle.

#14 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:55 PM

Yeah I'm pretty much decided on this rifle. Then I'm going to be saving up (cause the wife won't allow me to purchase another one outright with my tax return :P ) to buy another rifle in .308. Again same choice either rem700 or tikka t3 but I'm really picky with my rifles. Being a fan of wood stocks, the 223 im buying will be my first synthetic stock rifle. But either another rem700 or tikka t3 this one for pig/deer long range shooting, might even go as big as a 300 win mag :P not sure which though. I'm also thinking of cost of rounds as well. As with the 223 and 308 i can buy surplus and save casings for reloading once I get my reloading supplies again which I'll be saving up for.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#15 Red Dog

Red Dog

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:32 PM

Then I'm going to be saving up (cause the wife won't allow me to purchase another one outright with my tax return :P )

It's easier to ask for forgivness than permission. Just do it. :P

#16 novaman64

novaman64

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, shooting, hunting, muscle cars, snow skiing, wakeboarding, barefooting, camping, horses, livestock

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:48 AM

For long range shooting and pig/deer (your second rifle) I would look at 260rem, 6.5x284, or one of the 7mm cartridges. If your going to get into handloading you cant beat the SD and BC of the 6.5mm bullets. I bought a 6.5mm barrel and as soon as I get my tax refund my 243 is off to the smith to get it screwed on. Cant wait, 260 rem, good barrel life, affordable to shoot if you hand load and isnt har don the shoulder. The berger VLD 140 has a G1 BC of .612, get it movin out the barrel at 2800fps and at 800 yards you still have near 1000 ft/lbs of energy and are doing almost 1800fps; those numbers blow a 308 out of the water!

#17 homemade

homemade

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:17 AM

Ya I still need to go shoot my 260 I finished last year.

#18 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:45 AM

I am going to be getting into handloading. Soon as the pocket book will allow. Right now I live in a 1 bedroom apt with my wife whos preganant again and 5 month old. So its kinda cramped. But I have always like the 7mm mag too, might even go with the 300 win man as well. Im still deciding. I have a tendency to want everything and be able to afford nothing lol. I may have a spending problem LOL
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#19 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,006 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 10 February 2010 - 11:05 AM

my wife whos preganant again and 5 month old.

Your wife is five months old! :yikes[1]:Sorry I couldn't pass that up! :yikes[1]:

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#20 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 12:30 PM

Your wife is five months old! :yikes[1]:Sorry I couldn't pass that up! :yikes[1]:

My bad shes 22 lol we got a 5 month old kid and shes pregnant again. I mess that all up. I am ashamed LOLIts alright man I asked for that one
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#21 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,769 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:31 PM

Yea, and now you got a 5 month old kid that's pregnant again? Dang, you got some strange goings on there at your house. :yikes[1]:
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#22 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,175 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:29 PM

I understood what he mean't.They all do just playing with you.I tell you what if you are ever in the merced area Pm me and I will let you shoot my tikka in the 223.this way you can see how they shoot.

#23 Colin

Colin

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 02:52 PM

I always thought of myself as recoil sensitive. Until I shot my buddies .300 Win Mag. I am 5'7" and 150 pounds and thought anything over .30-06 would be punishing. Not so, in my case. I quickly bought a .300 Win Mag in Savage 114 Classic. Beautiful rifle and shoots great. All out the door for around $638.00. My buddies that have 7mm Mags and handload have all had fits over it. None, just a handful, can get the velocities they are looking for. For simplicity, if you are worried about cost of ammo, go with something "standard". Like the .308, .270 Win, or .300 Win Mag. Easy to find brass, etc. All are proven performers.

#24 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:53 PM

Yeah I think the 300 win mag is great. I read a lot of marine sniper books, especially Marine Sniper about carlos hathcock and how he was shooting the 300 win mag at the wimbledon cup at camp perry. And Ive always wanted one since then. But is it too heavy a rifle for deer/pig though?
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#25 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:19 PM

I got another question. What kinda ammo and optics should I be using? I'm going to be shooting to up to about 400 yards mostly for prairie dogs/targets. I was thinking maybe like military surplus for the quantity for the most part. But with a 1:12 twist am I only limited to 55 grain? or can I go lower than 55 grains or is it higher? Or just 55's and thats it? Im looking for the cheapest yet most reliable ammo for my money so I can shoot more yet still get pretty decent ammo. And as far as the scope like I said I'm going to be shooting up to about 400 yards at a small target yet the same thing applies, I want something thats relatively cheap yet reliable. I mean I for sure cannot go above 350 bucks. (Wifes orders) lol. So lets see who can come up with the best combo..... and....... GO!
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#26 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 08:38 PM

Mil Surp ammo is not going to cut it at 400 yards. Not to mention it is all FMJ bullets that do a lousy job on anything, and have a tendency to ricochet, which is bad if your shooting around cows or sprinkler pipe. Most of the mil surp ammo I've shot is lucky to be within a prairie dog sized target at 100 yards, let alone 400. Military surplus synonymous with "lowest bidder", so your not getting quality per se, just cheap.A 1-12 twist should be good from 60 grain down to 40. Of the two 1-12 Remington 700's I have, one likes 50 grn bullets and one likes 40. Only "cheaper" (none of it is really "cheap" anymore...) ammo I can think of that might even be adequate is Black Hills remans loaded with good hollow points or V max bullets. I've shot lots of ground squirrels, and tried for some for fun at those ranges, and personally, I don't think your going to be happy with a .223 at 400 yards. Find a spot where you can shoot inside of 200.
"I grew up poor. It's the people who are born with money who jump out of windows."---Lee TrevinoDo NOT spread my wealth. Spread my work ethic.Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.Many people imply, with bad jokes, that Cajuns are unintelligent; however, anyone that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a Hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a genius.

#27 trn2kill

trn2kill

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:28 PM

I Love mine i shoot a 55gr Nosler ballistic tip, i found a very accurate load but have also shot 40gr with great success. with a 55 gr i've shot a yote at as far as 470 yds with a clean kill. it was in the desert and i just couldn't call them in but now i love the challenge of a long shot after all if there close their is not much of a challenge it takes skill to achieve distance like this.
Wither it has two legs or four it makes for a great target.USMC Semper Fidelis

#28 Shoot-it

Shoot-it

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,175 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 08:45 AM

It takes luck to.

#29 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 10:55 AM

I see. Well Im using this rifle for a prairie dog hunting trip in june/july. So I wanna find out whats best yet still cheap as buying 1000 rounds can get REALLY expensive. Not going to shoot all that in 1 day but still good to have a few extras to play around with :signs165xk: might even just settle with the 500 round box's if I can find that. But still I'm look at like 400-600 bucks for a box of 1000, 500 around 200-300 depending on Grain/Manufacturer/etc.... But this is just for my prairie dog hunt and after that then Ill get into the good stuff like the vmax and what not and eventually hand loads when the pocket book allows.
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

#30 Kephers

Kephers

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 04:34 PM

spoke to the wife, shes going to let me reload or get my 2nd rifle or both if i want to. but next year the tax return in mostly hers..... /ponder and also were having a 2nd baby on next years returns.... so i feel like maybe i should wait for the 2nd rifle and just get the 1 with some reloading stuff LOL. and next year go all out. someone gimma some input haha. Oh I also was thinking maybe instead of the remington 700 to get the howa axiom 1500 in 223 with the 24 inch heavy barrel. its camoed out too and it comes with this .. Howa 5 + 1 Camo Synthetic 223 Rem. w/Nikko Platinum 4-16X44 Scope/Rings/Bas I have to admit it looks sick lol. I love the look and its camoed but is the scope worth a dang? still waiting for the tax return but I cant make up my mind lol
OORAH! SEMPER FI!
Call Me Keith!
1 Round Varmint War!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users