15 replies to this topic

#1 hunting guy

hunting guy

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 02:50 PM

I was at first considering a new Nikon or Burris for my Ruger m77 30-06 but have looked at a few Leupolds in a Cabelas catalog that have a great price and a couple other scopes. Among the following, which would be clearest, most reliable, durable, and easy to adjust for ranges up to 500 yards?I'm looking at the Leupolds seriously.LEUPOLD VX-I 4-12x40 w/Long range duplex reticle... $319.99LEUPOLD VX-II 3-9X40... $299.99CABELAS ALPHA SERIES 4-20X44... $329.99NIKON PROSTAFF/BUCKMASTERS 3-6 or 4-12X40... $200-$400The difference between a Leupold VX-1 4-12x40 and a Leupold VX-II 4-12x40 is so large I can't really afford it(about $120-$200), though the VX-I 4-12 or the VX-II 3-9 are in my price range. Is the difference in magnification worth getting the VX-II?Are the Nikons/Cabelas better in clarity then the Leupolds? I had an old Leupold my dad gave me when I wqas younger(it broke), but I have never had any of the other scopes. The 5x magnification makes the Cabelas look like a nice scope, but I would probably never use it past 14 and I don't know its clarityand quality. I am leaning towards the Leupold VX-I 4-12x40, and I like the new Long Range Duplex bullet compensating reticle. Any suggestions or oppinions?
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Ralph Waldo Emerson

#2 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, PCP Airguns, Flying (home builts)

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:01 PM

I posted some european scientific optic studies on this forum last year. From what I remember the better Nikon scopes beat Leupold, Burris, Nightforce in Clarity, brightness, enviromental stress tests, etc. You'll notice that the US scope manufacturers are in no hurry to publish such a study here...

I'm an airgunholic

#3 hunting guy

hunting guy

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:05 PM

I was looking for some reviews at optics planet.com just a minute ago, and while the Nikons may be better I'm pretty sure they don't have a custom shop where you can ad your name and or initials, parallax adjustment(only$10 extra), annodization, and a host of other options including custom bullet drop information built into your scope. I'm so exited I found something like this that I can hardly breathe!
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. Ralph Waldo Emerson

#4 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:07 PM

Yes - they have customized shop!

I'm an airgunholic

#5 hunting guy

hunting guy

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:10 PM

I didn't know that there was such a thing as a custom shop until a minute ago- could you pleas post a link to it so I could check it out? :smiley_turkey_gobble:

#6 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:13 PM

https://customshop.leupold.com/Stuff can get a little expensive here. You can have engraving done, etc....

I'm an airgunholic

#7 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:17 PM

You need to engrave that bear or elk on it....

I'm an airgunholic

#8 hunting guy

hunting guy

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:21 PM

Sorry, I guess I was confusing the way I put it. I know where the Leupold custom shop is, Could you please give me a link to the Nikon custom shop?

#9 Brant

Brant

StubExt

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:24 PM

I was the confusing one - I was talking Leupold. I don't think Nikon has one - sorry. Burris does some cutomization but not like Leupold.

I'm an airgunholic

#10 hunting guy

hunting guy

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:29 PM

:lol: Oh well, I guess messages are sometimes lost in the English language. :huh: Anyone else want to give their :smiley_turkey_gobble: ?

#11 hunting guy

hunting guy

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 04:28 PM

Anybody know anything about the Bushnell Elite 3200?

#12 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,785 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:20 PM

If you still have that Leupold that you said is broken, send it back to them and they will fix it for free. That seems to be the best route to me.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#13 Jeff213

Jeff213

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:26 PM

I have 2 bushnell elite 3200s one on both of my centerfire rifles. I have a 3-9x40 on my .30-06 and a 3-10x40 on my .223. I like them both a lot, but I like the 3-10x40 better. The glass is very clear and the reticle is small, I have not hunted with them in sub freezing temperatures though yet.

#14 Colin

Colin

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:42 PM

It's really tough to beat the Leupold VX-1 3-9x40. You could easily find one for around $220.00. I have been very happy with the 3 I have.

#15 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 05 February 2010 - 09:35 AM

Anybody know anything about the Bushnell Elite 3200?

Reported to be decent scopes. Here's a review of the Elite 3200 10x Tactical:http://www.snipercen...om/bushtact.htmFor awhile, I was considering getting a Bushnell Elite 3200 5-15x40 mildot. At the time you could get them on Amazon.com for $288. Decided to step up and get an Elite 4200 instead. Still, that was a good deal on the 3200.

#16 hunting guy

hunting guy

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 11:27 AM

Sadly I no longer have the Leupold. I sold it to somebody who knew how to fix them and gave me a great price.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users