10 replies to this topic

#1 assasin

assasin

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:35 AM

soo. who is going out for'em and who is having luck i hear they are hot out of bodega but no confirmed reports.

#2 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:18 AM

They're all over Dana Pt. but who cares? I might get excited about catching smaller models for use as kite bait on a long range trip but to seek out 50lb squirts as the target species...count me out. We usually run away from such spots. It is kinda fun to watch the newbies take it in the face though.Attached File  1.jpg   21.14KB   35 downloads

#3 Hunter Dude

Hunter Dude

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:55 AM

Ohhh that looks horrible!! Do they do that every time? Might be good info it know incase I ever go squid fishing.

#4 assasin

assasin

Squirrel Shooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:09 AM

whoa c,mon where is the gaff i have squid fished and fished for octos for years and have never been inked (well like that anyways) so who in the bay area wants to go and better yet who in the bay has a boat my 18 footer is a bit small to go out that far. ive got some crab pots i could bring

#5 Old timer

Old timer

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,444 posts
  • Interests:Hunting (all types) fishing and reading all the posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 11:00 AM

It is a real blast to watch women catch squid at night, have of them throw their poles and yell whe they get a face full :smiley_turkey_gobble:
Without hunters there wouldn't be much of an environment to protect!!Conservation of Wild Life Through the Taking of Predators by Sportsmen United we stand

#6 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 01:36 PM

I had a "squirt" gun fight w/ a guy across the bait tank on the Independence once. We were holding Humboldts about 8lbs and mine got him square in his open mouth with a shot of ink. Judging from the response and his quick surrender i'd say it is nasty tasting. :smiley_turkey_gobble: :lol:

#7 Baxter

Baxter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:55 PM

The ink is also an irritant. While sorting through 45 live ton of the smaller version you would get squirted thousands of times and itch till you fell asleep. Those big ones taste nasty anyways. The smaller guys are great when you stuff the hood full of cheese and jalapenos and batter in panko and deep fry or great for swordfish bait. Have fun if you go.

#8 BullsEye

BullsEye

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:37 PM

I just cleaned a 30 pounder up today and made some steaks. Its been a few years since I have eaten one but they should be good. :two-cents:

#9 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:27 PM

I was on a charter that limited out on WSB early, then we scored several YT. The cook grabbed several "baits" and made the very best calamari I have ever had. I think the little guys are the way to go. Never much cared for the taste of the humbees.

#10 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Shooting, Fishing, Snow Skiing and RV'ing.

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:34 PM

Those big squid are a PITA. A bitch to clean, make a mess of the boat, and are not very good if out of cold northern waters. There's a reason that the Mexican Calamari steaks get served in the fine restaurants in SF and Monterey. I know you can soak them in milk and other stuff but the fact is IMHO they are not worth all the work. They don't even make great crab bait, albacore heads work way better. Kinda like shootin Snow Geese. I'd rather go catch some sanddabs, easy to clean and great to eat. Now the little guys that are in Monterey bay right now are a different story, they are awesome and it's great to see them back along with the WSB.
Life Member DU, NRA, VHA,CWA, and The OF's of America.

#11 badger

badger

Plinker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 03:42 PM

Looks like fun if you've never done it. I hove eaten some off the coast that were great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users