22 replies to this topic

#1 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:33 PM

Forget quality of glass, reticle, various features and all the other things you can buy...what is the best FOV for coyote hunting? What is the easiest to locate a coyote in? 2-7X 33mm 3-9X 40mm 3-9X 50mm 4-12X 40mm other?

#2 .22guy

.22guy

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:42 PM

In my very unprofessional opinion I would go with a 3-9 40mm. It's what I'm most comfortable using. But the 4-12 might be nice for those longer shots.

#3 CHIN SQUIRREL

CHIN SQUIRREL

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Coyote hunting, trout fishing, geocaching, and exploring.

Posted 04 February 2010 - 01:29 AM

I'll second that motion on the 3-9 x 40.
I'd rather be fishing with my son.

#4 Portagee_Shooter

Portagee_Shooter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:23 AM

+3 versatile!
Q: "What do you hunt with that?" A: "Name it"-Rambo

#5 ratassassin

ratassassin

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Interests:Handloading, hunting, target shooting.

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:47 AM

3-9 or 4-12 are good. I'd recommend a 4-16x40. 16x is the highest power that I can personally hold steady enough for "aim small, miss small" shots taken offhand without seeing too much shake, and in those conditions I usually drop it down to 9x or 12x. But 16x is also high enough for shooting small targets out to 1,000 yards rested, depending on your rifle and caliber of course. So I like that option. And, since it's variable, you can always drop it to 4, 7, 9 or 12x as conditions require. For coyote hunting within 100-150 yards, just drop it to 7 or 9 for a decent FOV and you're good to go. My favorite scope at the moment is the Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40 side focus mildot model 42-6242P. It's currently sitting on my Tikka T3 Lite .223 which I've been shooting a lot. http://www.midwayusa...ctnumber=895285. For long range target or varmint shooting, 24x is great. Or, because the scope is small and light for a 6-24 variable (13" long and 17.6 oz.), it's easily something you can have mounted on your hunting rifle to carry in the field all day. And the glass is beautiful. Another reason it's good to have a variable scope that you can drop to a lower power is when you start losing your light. A lower power magnification will gather more light than a higher power at dusk or dawn.

#6 CaseyU

CaseyU

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, being outdoors, hanging with my family and friends

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:14 AM

4-12. Depends what caliber you want it on. I put a little bit more power in mine because i don't have deep pockets. So i love shootin my 223 at those long squirrel shots and the sixty yart coyote shots as well. and +1 on the 16x that as high as i can go as well before i pull the excuse. Ahh... damn. my scope was on 20 power. :popcorn: I know you all have heard that. but to tell you the god honest truth, if i can see through it clearly, and it lets in light when gettin dark. I'm happy

#7 Braz

Braz

Formerly know as Alpenliter

• Advertiser
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,798 posts
  • Interests:“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:51 AM

For me, I think the 2x7 or 3x9 are the two to chose from. The fast majority of shots at coyotes are going to be under 150 yards (if not, you're screwing up your calling somehow) and either of them gives good field of view with pleanty of power.
[url="""]http://www.CallsbyBraz.com'>http://www.CallsbyBraz.com[/url]
Handmade Calls by Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

#8 tawnoper

tawnoper

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:56 AM

Keep it simple.3x9x40 works wellFixed power scopes like a quality 6 x 42 are probably as good as it gets for coyotes...but remember...they don't have all the fancy turrets and thingamajigs that serve no purpose when it comes to actually shooting coyotes.
ProStaff - ProStaff - Field Staff - I'm very important!

#9 Pogo

Pogo

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:14 AM

Those thingamajigs are necessary to properly dial in the 788 yard shot using your other whatchamacallits and weather dodads, and hit the coyote standing perfectly still, broadside... you know... like they always do. I saw it on the B.S. hunting show on television... :popcorn: :lol: I agree with everyone else. 3-9x40mm. I have one 50mm scope. Heavy and awkward in the field. No improvement in sight over a quality 40mm. FWIW, probably 95% of the coyotes I've ever shot were shot with the scope on the lowest mag possible.
"I grew up poor. It's the people who are born with money who jump out of windows."---Lee TrevinoDo NOT spread my wealth. Spread my work ethic.Four out of five politicians surveyed prefer unarmed, ignorant peasants.Many people imply, with bad jokes, that Cajuns are unintelligent; however, anyone that would build a city 10 feet below sea level in a Hurricane zone and fill it with Democrats is a genius.

#10 A17Shooter

A17Shooter

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,789 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, Rifles, Hunting Pistols, Long Range, Computers, Cameras

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:14 AM

I have a Leupold 2-7X that I got used. The scope is older than a lot of the people on CPC. It is the only scope I consider as a designated 'yote scope, all the others are compromises.

Guns only have three enemies, Politicians, Ignorant Liberals and Rust.

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

#11 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:27 AM

Those thingamajigs are necessary to properly dial in the 788 yard shot using your other whatchamacallits and weather dodads, and hit the coyote standing perfectly still, broadside... you know... like they always do. I saw it on the B.S. hunting show on television... :popcorn: :lol: I agree with everyone else. 3-9x40mm. I have one 50mm scope. Heavy and awkward in the field. No improvement in sight over a quality 40mm. FWIW, probably 95% of the coyotes I've ever shot were shot with the scope on the lowest mag possible.

Yeah...the 50 is too much for me too.

#12 CA Desert Dog

CA Desert Dog

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:God, family & country. Predator hunting, shooting, reloading.

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:15 AM

If your target is always gonna be yotes, I agree on the 3-9 X 40 or lower power scopes. But for me, I shoot yotes, fox and much smaller creatures with the same rifles. Most times I am shooting on the lower powers but if I have a long shot on a smaller creature, it is sure nice to crank the scope up to 12 or 16 power. I guess if I had a "dedicated" coyote rifle, I would stick with the most simple scope....say a fixed power 6X, a red dot or a holographic type, low magnification sight. :smiley_turkey_gobble:
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." Winston Churchill

#13 Frank

Frank

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts
  • Interests:Coyote Hunting #1, Valley Quail 2nd. Former (Idaho) mule deer hunter

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:52 PM

Another vote for the 3x9x40... It is just plain hard to beat as a pure "coyote" scope. Frank

#14 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 01:24 PM

I finally called one in but could not get on him with a 4.5-30X50mm and trying to find him in the scope is what got me busted. Arrggg. Time to dial down. Maybe the Nikko Stirling 3-10x42 Nighteater™ riflescope that came w/ my Howa .243 will work out. I just got it and it seems adequate.

#15 OrneryOlMofo357

OrneryOlMofo357

Tikka Shooter, and a bad shot at that.

• Gold Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:37 PM

I dont have a "designated" Coyote rifle, because usually ground squirrels show up and I switch targets. I use a 5-15 Firefly on the tikka, The Howa wears a Nikon 6-18, and the Savage wears a 4-16 Mueller. I cant blame any misses on the scopes used while hunting Coyotes. When you set up your stand, have you looked through the scope to verify objects and distances prior to calling? How about adj objective? Have you set that already to the distance that you think the coyote may enter your sight picture? Just a few more things to add to your checklist when using certain scopes. The fixed, low power scopes without adj Objective lens usually gets the vote. I like versatility, long or short shots. So my scopes arent the norm for most that target only a certain species. Good Luck.
Fathom the hypocrisy of a government that require every citizen to prove they are insured... but not everyone must prove they are a citizen.

#16 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:22 PM

So far all the places I've been to had limited shooting lanes so I have not needed to pull out the RF. My 22-250 is zeroed at 200 yards. Only once did I have a longer shooting lane and the yotes never came closer than 500-600 yards (Utah). Trying to get on the target w/ the Elite 6500 was too hard, even when dialed back. This cheapie Nighteater scope might just be the solution. Guess we'll see how bad it is once I get to a range.

#17 Desert Fox

Desert Fox

Big Kahuna

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,197 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, Hunting, Reloading, Fishing, Camping

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:22 PM

Good quality glass... It's my first consideration! Magnification is secondary. Like Ornery I don't have a dedicated yote rifle! but then again, I'm not a yote hunter either. :two-cents:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former" Albert Einstein

#18 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:27 PM

Took me a while to get used to variable power scopes after using fixed power (10x) in the military for years but since retirement I've managed to use 3-9x40's for my squirrel rifles, 4.5-14x40 for the coyotes, and 6-24x56 for long range prairie dogs. My current favorite is a Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30x50 mounted on my 98 Bravo. No, I don't use it for long range killing-just long range fun. I don't recommend a high power scope for coyotes because as has been said, it's too hard to keep it steady. A 4-12 or 3-9 power scope is plenty for the dogs.
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#19 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:38 PM

Which reticle does yours have? Mines the DOA. Great scope for target shooting, not so great in the field to spot a dog with. Might put it on the .243 and put the Nighteater scope on the 22-250.

#20 Colin

Colin

Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:39 PM

3-9x40, here too. The 50 is a little big for me. I have a 4-16 on my .223 and it rarely gets dialed over 9X. I tried a really old Leupold fixed 4x scope on my .243 and that was a no go. It's great for a .22lr, but didn't work well for me. Others I'm sure could put that scope to good use though.

#21 fakawee

fakawee

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Interests:4Wheeling, Hunting, Target Shooting, Fishing, Camping, Kayaking and Glassing the countryside.

Posted 05 February 2010 - 08:50 PM

Which reticle does yours have? Mines the DOA. Great scope for target shooting, not so great in the field to spot a dog with. Might put it on the .243 and put the Nighteater scope on the 22-250.

Elite 6500 Tactical with mil-dots but like I mentioned, I use this scope for long range shooting. I put a Nikon Coyote Special 4.5-14x40 on my Savage Predator .22-250. Great scope as long as you stick to the bullet weights they recommend with the scope. The circle (ballistic) reticles take time to get used to but they're great for moving shots. The ballistic reticles are pretty much right on the money for shots out to 500 yards. I've been getting 2" groups at 400 yards in calm winds. Great rifle, great scope! I also have a Nikko Sterling Nighteater on one of my AR-15's but mounted a holographic sight on the right side of the scope at an angle for shots less than 100 yards. I just cant the rifle to the left to use that sight. Great set up for 3 Gun competitions.
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain

#22 BC9696

BC9696

Big Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 06:48 AM

I tried the Coyote Special but the center ring of the reticle was too big. I tried sighting it in at 200 yards and the center ring was twice the size of the center ring on my target! Could not get a tight grouping. Wish that center circle had crosshairs.

#23 Baxter

Baxter

Shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 06:25 PM

1.5x6 or higher. Quick draw, with alittle magnification.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users