14 replies to this topic

#1 big jon

big jon

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 12:38 PM

Never been much of a rifle shooter, but iam very happy with the targets i shot and estatic with my reloadsPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageTomarow i`am taking out the 270`s

#2 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Admin

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,398 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, shooting sports and fishing.

Posted 25 July 2006 - 01:01 PM

Good shooting it's hard to miss those darned blue dots every time. :( Nice groups. B)

Time waits for no one--
treasure every moment you have.

#3 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:06 PM

GREAT shooting! When it cools down this fall we will have to do some hunting.

#4 big jon

big jon

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:13 PM

GREAT shooting! When it cools down this fall we will have to do some hunting.

I`ve all ready started scouting my backyard for deer, With my broken back i cant hunt the way i use to so iam stuck hunting the highest riges i can walk up,That where the PSS comes in i`am hitting my targets at 400 yards now so i`am hopping i`ll get that close to them this year.

#5 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:27 PM

Jon, I hunt the little hills, too! Hitting stuff at 400 yards will get you deer. You you could borrow some of your brothers BIG guns and nail them from across the valley!!

#6 big jon

big jon

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:48 PM

Jon, I hunt the little hills, too! Hitting stuff at 400 yards will get you deer. You you could borrow some of your brothers BIG guns and nail them from across the valley!!

You got that right those 50BMG are the ticket for long range shooting

#7 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 03:58 PM

He ever shoot a deer with one?

#8 big jon

big jon

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 04:14 PM

As far as i know he has`nt Ben`s not a hunter,

#9 .204 Sniper

.204 Sniper

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Control - ALL OF 'EM!

Posted 25 July 2006 - 04:47 PM

You got that right those 50BMG are the ticket for long range shooting

Just use a FMJ - the energy will drop a deer in it's tracks while the lack of expansion (even at 1000+ yards) will leave something for the BBQ.Regarding my .308 - I use 168gr Nosler J4's for long range hunting - YES! They do explode at ranges closer than 200 yards (thin jacket that's NOT bonded to the core). But you should see the terminal damage out to 700 yards. The velocity and energy at that range make a match bullet expand, where as a true hunting bullet would do nothing.Newbies, Greenhorns and inexperienced shooters!: Ignore everything I just wrote. Keep your shots well within your capabilties. When you pump out 500 rounds a week at a facility that offers steel plates out to 1000 yards - have an accurate 'Dope Sheet' for your rifle(s) and consistently HIT those plates..............THEN (and ONLY then!) may you use my advice! :(

#10 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:57 PM

Can't use the FMJ's on game animals in CA.

#11 .204 Sniper

.204 Sniper

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Control - ALL OF 'EM!

Posted 26 July 2006 - 12:25 PM

Can't use the FMJ's on game animals in CA.

Uh................shoot from the Nevada side??? :unsure: LOL

#12 peeker seeker

peeker seeker

25-06 shooter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts
  • Interests:Grand kids, My dogs, My girls the rabbits and hens Hunting & fishing

Posted 26 July 2006 - 02:49 PM

Just use a FMJ - the energy will drop a deer in it's tracks while the lack of expansion (even at 1000+ yards) will leave something for the BBQ.Regarding my .308 - I use 168gr Nosler J4's for long range hunting - YES! They do explode at ranges closer than 200 yards (thin jacket that's NOT bonded to the core). But you should see the terminal damage out to 700 yards. The velocity and energy at that range make a match bullet expand, where as a true hunting bullet would do nothing.Newbies, Greenhorns and inexperienced shooters!: Ignore everything I just wrote. Keep your shots well within your capabilties. When you pump out 500 rounds a week at a facility that offers steel plates out to 1000 yards - have an accurate 'Dope Sheet' for your rifle(s) and consistently HIT those plates..............THEN (and ONLY then!) may you use my advice! :unsure:

Yep and practise with the round your going hunting with.I shoot the rabbits with the same round I shoot deer in the 2506. Nothing worse than a hunter who has to shoot a couple of rounds off be fore hunting. do that at the range practice practice. Oh Im sorry got caried away nice shooting . I like the way that 308 shoots.
Reach out to are fury friends . Use a 25-06 If runs swims or flies ,IT CAN BE DEEP FRIED OR MADE INTO A PIE mmm mmmm ANIMALS IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER. Beeman air...25-06, 223, 7mm- 08 ,7mm Rem mag .Beaman 8 cats 0. Keeper of 2 Border Collie Heelers

#13 big jon

big jon

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 03:06 PM

Yep and practise with the round your going hunting with.I shoot the rabbits with the same round I shoot deer in the 2506. Nothing worse than a hunter who has to shoot a couple of rounds off be fore hunting. do that at the range practice practice. Oh Im sorry got caried away nice shooting . I like the way that 308 shoots.

I`am with you i`ve been a long time hunter and have found that it`s just best to stick with what matters the most out in the field "hot" I`ve been critized on other sites for starting on the hot side but i`ve allways been extreemly carefull and have never blew out any primers or dammaged any guns.I would like some more info if anyone knows how sierra match kings work on game?

#14 big jon

big jon

Varmint Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 12:20 AM

Went shooting today, did this 3 round group at 250 yardsPosted Image

#15 Cranky Farmer

Cranky Farmer

smallblockfuelie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,436 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 07:53 AM

Awesome shooting! Sure looks like you're getting that 308 dialed in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users